touch up spray for an 89 saphire blue reatta?

handmedownreatta

I will second that. Don't waste your money on pre-packed stuff at the chain auto parts stores. These are usually generic matches formulated to touch up a group of closely similar colors.

Most dealers only stock brush on touch up paint, but I think spray cans can be ordered. If this doesn't pan out, a good auto paints supplier can custom mix paint and package it in a spray can in the store.

Be advised it isn't cheap. I did this once a few years ago, and was almost $80 all told (about $50 for 1 pint custom mixed paint, and almost $30 more to pack it into an aerosol can).

The worst part is that touch up spraying metallic colors almost never yields good results. On a factory paint job, all the metallic "flakes" fall uniformly one direction due to the paint process used. A DIY spray can scatters them randomly, and touch-ups are quite obvious especially in direct sunlight.

KDirk

Ok,

I thought maybe you were covering a scratch or body repair. Given the application and depending on what you are budgeting for this, maybe the prepackaged stuff will be sufficient. If you are happy with "less noticeable", and are not looking for perfect factory match then you can probably get acceptable results this way.

Just make sure the panel is prepped (at a minimum lightly scuff sand the clear coat and clean with a degreasing solvent like VM&P Naptha and allow to dry before painting) or your new paint will start popping off and showing the old color in short order.

The other issue with these chain store spray paints is that the cross-reference chart is not always so great. Especially for obscure cars like the Reatta. Most list the color match ups by year and factory paint code, not model name. Unless you know the factory paint code # for sapphire blue, you'll need to eyeball it, which is not as easy as it sounds.

KDirk

Guest jcc3inc

'Morning,

I second Barney's inquiry; I'd like to put a sunroof on my '91. Does the Mazda unit match the roof contour??.

A second question, is there some company that makes a just-plain-glass replacement unit that hinges at the front and tips up at the back? Seems that it would have fewer problems!

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest CL_Reatta

^

From my workings on my sunroof, the mazda panel IS different than the Reatta one. it is a little more curved, but I believe I remember someone on here saying that the mazda panel does work, just it isnt 100% flush with the roof

Guest CL_Reatta

^

From my workings on my sunroof, the mazda panel IS different than the Reatta one. it is a little more curved, but I believe I remember someone on here saying that the mazda panel does work, just it isnt 100% flush with the roof

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second Barney's inquiry; I'd like to put a sunroof on my '91.</div></div>

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think is is feasible to retrofit the factory sunroof to a car that didn't originally come so equipped...