'38 Buick woodgraining

jeff

Can anyone tell me the correct pattern and color for a '38 Special dash? A picture would be great also.

I am considering a Grain-it kit in exchange for some help on a car and would like to know if it is close to correct for my 38-48 2 dr Special.

Thanks,

Jeff

Its funny how many different dash patterns I see in cars on ebay. Who knows, mine may not be correct either but to my knowledge that's one of many things on this car that likely would NOT have been touched during any part of it's lifetime, my dad certainly never did any cosmetic restoration of any kind. Only a handful of times have I seen a '38 on ebay that looked like the pattern I have.

post-39688-143138053595_thumb.jpg

I think the pattern is called butt walnut. Pretty subtle colors. My car's graining is a bit worn, which is to be expected, as the original was just a decal, so I've attached (I hope) a photo I got from John R Young of the graining on the dash of his 38-41.

post-49332-143138053961_thumb.jpg

PS:

This is the one and only graining pattern for '38 Specials. The big series patterns were different. You see all sorts of graining on '38's, most often Ford or Chevy graining that painters are more familiar with.

Hmmm I need to get a better picture...from the angle suchan's is at. I swear mine looks...just like that..though darker in color. Maybe just because of age or sun fading or something. I'll get a better picture this afternoon if I think it looks that close.

Interesting point about ford and chevy grainings and painters being more familiar with them!

Jeff,

I took several photos for you, but here are a couple just to peek your curiosity. Note the difference in colors on the dash, glove box & window trim..... Send me your email address if you want the other photos....

My car is a 38 Special that I think was truely a stripped down version with no options. It has no radio, no center bumper guard and it appears that someone added a NOS (unfaded) glove box door with the clock much later in it's life. I would like to find a faded glove box door to match my dash without a clock.

The interior is all original and un-restored (except for that glove box door).

post-41092-143138054106_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143138054121_thumb.jpg

Mark,

If you look at your pics and the photo I sent of John Young's car, the pattern is pretty much identical. The original wood graining was, as I've been told, a decal, so every car with original graining should look the same. I think you were right at first, your car's previous owner found a nice glove box door with a clock. I'm not sure if there was a no clock version of the glove box door, or just a door with some sort of plug. I bet Harry Logan knows.

Steve.

Suchan and Mark,

I have a clock on my 38, but have an extra door that I bought as part of a box of mixed parts. This door has a chrome insert which takes the place of the clock and which attached to the clock mounting points on the back side of the door... the one I've got is in rough shape (would need some dents removed and rechrome) but I'm guessing its existence points to this being the "no clock" version of the door.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Mark, check your PM, I sent you my e-mail address. What's the deal with your heater - is that what the heater without defroster looks like? Or did someone add an aftermarket heater?

Also, Tishabet, great insight on the "clock delete" setup. I bet most Specials had the clock, but it would be great to see a picture of this rare setup.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Some good model paints, a really good quality brush, and a steady hand - then top it off with clear coat. You might get some pretty decent results!

Whether you give it a try or not, don't lose it. I've never seen that before!!

Jeff

It is more dented than the picture shows, but I'm sure it is salvageable for someone who is good with metal. I'm guessing the reason we've never seen one before is that the clock was a "no brainer" if you're already laying out the cash for a Buick. Definitely an oddity!