Hupmobile and Hollywood

keiser31

Unless they have been changed, the easy way to tell the difference in them is that the Hupp lower grill is chrome and the upper grill is painted the same color as the body. The Graham has both grills chrome. A few early Skylarks were made by Hupp, but most of them were made by Graham using the modifed dies of the Cord. There was only one convertible produced by Hupp. The lady who modeled the car ended up with it. She owned the car for many years and lived in Maine. The reason I happen to know this is because I was offered the car and I had just put all the money I had into a new business venture. The car changed hands a few times and is beautifully restored and is in Wi. Antique Automobile Volumn 32 #4 July - August 1968 is an issue about Hupmobile and a pic of her and the car is on page 37

• 1 year later...
Guest rgordon

I seen both of those at the San Diago Swap Last year. One has a chevy engine. Both were priced right. We Bought a V8 60 from the gentleman at that spot. I like that Swap Meet. I hope it dosent close or move.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I note that both cars are Graham-built, as evidenced by the wipers being on the cowl rather than above the windshields like the (29 ?) Cord-bodied Skylark sedans that Hupp built themselves.

The Hupp Skylark website shows a barn-find Hupp-built Skylark. Does anyone know if any of the other 28 (?) Hupp-built Skylark sedans have survived?

--Tom

The answer to the question is yes to Hupp built Skylarks. Some of our members in the Hupp club own them. I know of at leat 3 prototypes. Keiser I have not heard of anyone turning a Hupp or Graham into a Cord.The Skylark & Hollywood were rear wheel drive.The Cord was front wheel drive. Hupp also shortened the wheel base. The cost factor would be big money. Hupp had the orders for the Skylarks and it was to bad they could not produce them. Hupp factory production figures 1938-1940 Skylarks were 354 cars. We have 32 Skylarks in the club.

Hi,

Thank you, Hupp36, for the info on Hupp-built Skylark survivors. Here's another question: the HupmobileSkylarkLandingPage website has photos of two Corsair convertibles. Common thought is that there was only one convertible ever built. Resolution to this paradox?

I noticed on the photos of the two Skylarks in the above post that the tail lights on the grey Graham Hollywood are located outside of the trunk lid and in the left and right body panels. The flat-back Cord Westchester sedans like mine, the dies from which the Skylarks were built, all had their tail lights in the trunk lid. The Cord "bustle back" sedans with extended trunks had their tail lights outside of the lid due to the irregular and extended shape of the trunk. Any information as to why the flat-back Skylarks had their tail lights in the non-lid location?

Just an FYI--I live in Berrien County in Southwest Michigan, and a beautiful Maroon Skylark lives around here somewhere. Every once in a while I see it on the road, and I am in awe of the gorgeous restoration that was done on it. Good job, Owner!!

--Tom

Tom, as the Skylark is not really my forte, I guess 1 of the tech advisors may be able to answer the questions about the tail lights. About the 2 Corsair convertibles. One of our club members has some pic of the Hupp factory in the late stages of production and it shows a pic of a convertible that looks like a Skylark but not for certain. I do know for certain that there is 1 because I have put my hands on it. Chuck

Hi,

My thoughts have been captured by the Skylark Convertible(s) questions, "How many were built and who built them?"

Attached are photos of two Skylark Convertibles (Corsairs), one made by Graham and the other made by Hupp. They are not the same car. The blue one is stated on the hupmobileskylark site to be a Graham-built convertible belonging to an Indiana (named on the site) resident. Another two images of it are on

1940 Graham Hollywood Convertible - Hagerty Lifestyle

The photo of the white convertible is also on the hupmobileskylark site, and the car is stated to belong to a known (named on the site) owner. The white car is stated to be the only Hupp-built Corsair, #1 of 1.

Both cars are said on the hagarty site to have been prototypes. Both would be welcome in my corral, any day and any time. :D

Graham Corsair:

medium_aIMG_9806-590x394.jpg

Hupp Corsair:

w1939_Hupmobile_Conv-1-675x435.jpg

Both are truly lovely cars.

-Tom

Hupp36 can probably give you a more definitive answer but the lone Hupp Conv was built by Hupmobile prior to Graham taking over production. Graham then built between 2-4 convertibles at the beginning of production. The blue Hollywood pictured above is the lone known survivor of the 5 passenger ( like the lone Hupp). There is also a single known surviving 2 passenger Hollywood convertible which I believe is also mentioned on that website.