63 Olds Disc Brake Conversion

Guest kakenk

Guest kakenk

I have a 63 Olds Dynamic and would like to convert it to disc brakes. I can not find a "kit" for the conversion. I have checked interchange manuals but can not find an interchange for the front spindles. I'm looking for help/suggestions on how to do the conversion.

These cars are not that popular with hot rodders and the spindles are different from the same year Chevy, so there are no kits. Scarebird makes brackets. You can also compare wheel bearings and find a rotor that will fit your spindles. Then you'll need caliper brackets.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd swap in a set of late 70's 80's b body spindles, they will have the 12 inch brakes, usually 5 on 5 bolt patern which if you need 5 on 4 3/4 you order up the 90's 1le camaro rotors which are 12" and they will go right on the b body spindles. the b body spindles are a little taller and will square up the geometry and give better handling and less camber change through the range of motion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd swap in a set of late 70's 80's b body spindles, they will have the 12 inch brakes, usually 5 on 5 bolt patern which if you need 5 on 4 3/4 you order up the 90's 1le camaro rotors which are 12" and they will go right on the b body spindles. the b body spindles are a little taller and will square up the geometry and give better handling and less camber change through the range of motion. </div></div>

You're going to be hard pressed to bolt the B-body spindles to a 63 Olds for a couple of reasons. First, the 63 is rear steer, meaning that the steering linkage is behind the axle centerline. The newer B-body cars are front steer, with the linkage in front of the axle centerline. No, you cannot simply swap the spindles side-for-side. Second, the ball joints and tie rod ends use a different stud taper angle. Using the 63 ball joints and tie rods on the later spindles is NOT SAFE. The ball joints will not seat properly in the spindles and will not carry the loads properly. Eventually the studs will fatigue and break. Finally, unlike the tall spindle swap on the A-body cars, I do not believe you can swap the ball joints onto the 63 control arms, so you can't solve the problem that way.

Oh, and the 63 is already 5 x 5" wheel lug pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: foxhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i totally forgot bout the whole rear stear thing it was getting late, i ussually ream the ball joint mounts so they fit propper. snap on makes such a ream if you don't have a machine shop at home. </div></div>

Speedway Motors also sells these tapered reams (probably for less than Snap On).