88 or SUPER 88?

Guest 49oldsfan

Guest 49oldsfan

I'm thinking about buying a 1956 Olds 88. I asked the guy if it was an 88 or a Super 88 and he doesn't know. How can I tell if it's an 88 or Super 88?

Guest snuphysolds

There are two ways to tell. Externally the chrome strip that rises along the quarter panel extends onto the front doors, just below the window. On the quarter it self this chrome strip is wider.

The best identifer is by the VIN on the plate on the drivers side door pillar. The third diget will be a 7 if it is an 88 (567....) and an 8 if it is a Super 88 (568....). Good luck.

Ed

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Brad Hoke

88 VINs began 567, followed by a plant code, followed by a sequence number. Super 88s VINs began 568.

Were the Super 88s all 4-bbl carbs in '55 and / or '56? Or was it that the 4-bbl was standard & the 2-bbl was a no-charge or cost less or something like that? Or do I have it all completely wrong and am just adding to the confusion! :)

I used to know all this kind of stuff and have forgotten so much of it...baah... :(:)

Guest Brad Hoke

Doug

Yes, all Super 88s (and 98s) came with the 4-bbl standard. If there was any delete-type option, in other words any way to have a Super delivered with a 2-bbl, I've never heard of it.

The 4-bbl was optional, though, on all 88s both years. I don't have the '55 prices in front of me, but in 1956 that cost only $26.90. The reason it was so cheap, and what surprises some people, is the '56 engine was the same otherwise in all series, including compression ratio.

Incidentally factory duals were an option in both '55 and '56. For 1956 models they cost $41.40, including the cutout bumper and special tips.

Also in '56, two Hydra-Matics were offered as options on both 88s and Super 88s. The '55-and-earlier type cost $188.30, and the new-for-'56 Jetaway, easily identifiable by the Park position in the shift quadrant, went for $204.50 on the sticker (standard on '56 98s).

I hope this is the kind of thing you were looking for.

Brad Hoke

---- AACA Forums <webmaster@aaca.org> wrote:

>