Question about the black vs. body colored trim

Guest THEHKP7M13

Guest THEHKP7M13

This is probably common knowledge to most everyone here, but I have no clue.

What determined if the Reatta recieved body color or black trim around? It has been driving me crazy

Thanks.

I tend to agree with Rawja on this. I am having my car painted the end of March/early April and I have decided to do body color side moldings, rather than the existing black.

While the white w/black moldings doesn't look bad, I prefer the monotone paint job. I just think it makes the car look cleaner and ever so slightly more modern. Since either is technically correct based on original factory options, I don't have any reservation changing it.

I will be keeping the mirrors black, but I do kind of like the red mirrors on Roger's car. I think body color mirrors are workable on the darker color cars. White and silver, not so sure.

KDirk

Skizzy-

Are you the one who posted a pic some time back of a Reatta with no side moldings? That did look pretty good, but seems like there would be holes to fill from the fasteners that held the mounting clips on. That's a bit more work than I was hoping to do. I don't mind the side moldings, just prefer body color over black (unless it's a black car).

KDirk

Guest CL_Reatta

I have always thought that the Reatta would look good two-toned since that rub strip makes it look like it should be two-tones

Attached is a section from the 1991 order form.

If code 41Q was ordered, the car got black trim which was recommended because it probably cost Buick a few dollars less to make the trim black.

If code B84 was ordered, the side molding was painted body color. These codes will appear on the Service Parts label in the trunk if you are not sure which came on your car.

Below that is the selection of pinstripe color....there seems to be no restriction, so it seems possible that you could order a red car with blue stripe.

post-30596-143138051679_thumb.jpg

I had toyed with the notion of going two-tone, and played with photo editing software to see what it would look like, but didn't like it.

A few weeks ago there was an eBay car with two tone, though if I were doing it, I'd prolly do the mouldings in silver rather than leave 'em black.....

post-30931-14313805168_thumb.jpg

post-30931-143138051683_thumb.jpg

MauiWowee-

And to think I'd finally suppressed the memory of seeing that car a few months back. Thanks for letting me relive the nightmare <chuckle>.

Actually, two-tone wouldn't be bad looking in the right color combo. If a medium metallic red had been offered, a lower rocker color of champagne or light metallic bronze would have looked good with a tan interior. This could probably work with claret red, but the contrast might be a bit much.

If the car had the dark grey interior (88/89) dark charcoal metallic would've worked well. Could have done silver under the molding (as on the sapphire blue car above) with the lighter grey interior of 90 & 91.

Subjectively speaking, I think two tone works best with a darker upper color (red, blue, green) and only then if the upper color is metallic. I think non-metallic colors work best in monochromatic paint schemes. Not sure why, that's just my preference.

KDirk

Pontiac in the late 80s/early 90s was really pushing two-tone. I hade to pay $50 extra to get solid carmine on our 1990 Bonneville SE.

Incidently the standard wheel/tire on the Bonne was a 16x7 with 215x60x16. (when we bought it I was a little annoyed that it came with 16s, they were rare and expensive then). Superb touring car & my first 3800. Jim in Tampa has it now.

post-31022-143138051945_thumb.jpg