Electrical problem, please help!

hey all, its been a while since my last post but you guys helped me out sooo much last time i couldn't stay away. my father came into town over Christmas and while he was here we rebuilt the generator and replaced the voltage regulator on my 1953 Customline. Well, now i noticed i dont have brake lights or high beams. Is there a fuse box somewhere on these cars? i'm hoping i just blew a fuse, but i need this fixed asap.

thanks in advance!

Guest simplyconnected

Welcome back, focus.

There was NO fusebox for many years after your car. They used individual fuse holders. One is located on the back of your headlight switch. The rest are those plastic in-line twist-apart kind, typically next to the device they protect. Eg: One is right next to your radio on the power wire, another next to your heater fan switch. If you have an electric clock, it will have one on the power wire.

When I bought my '55, nothing electrical worked. I looked under the dash for a fuseblock (like you did), and found wire ends, dangling in space. Then it dawned on me, the polymers baked out of the plastic fuse holders, and they disintegrated over time. The owners knew nothing about electrical, and didn't get them fixed. When I spliced new fuse holders back in, all the devices started working again (even the radio).

Do you have a schematic for your car? If not, let me know and I'll give you access to mine.

Dave Dare

Guest simplyconnected

Last year, you had a heat-related problem. Did you ever get that resolved? Is your exhaust heat riser valve working? Many times they stick shut, (which causes over heating).

exhaust heat riser valve? i did fix the over heating. the radiator had a bunch of pin holes in it, plus one of the water elbows had a huge crack in it, replaced the elbow, put a new radiator core in, and replaced the thermostats and she runs good. she'll overheat if idling for a looong time, but she stays normal while driving and idling at a light.

i don't think i've got access to an electrical schematic. what would cause the high beams and brake lights to go out? all i did was replace the voltage regulator, and replaced the brushes inside the generator.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Focus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...what would cause the high beams and brake lights to go out?</div></div> Did the bulbs burn out? Or, did they stop working? If the regulator is set for too high of voltage, your bulbs can burn out prematurely. Otherwise, if they just stopped working, you should check the fuse on the back of your headlight switch. (Incidently, make sure all your grounds are secure, especially at the lamp housings.)

Here's the schematic for that portion:

FordHeadlightWiringDiagram.jpg FordHeadlightWiringDiagram.jpg

Idivided this single-sheet schematic, into four pages you can print and paste together. Here they are:

Lower LH sheet

Lower RH Sheet

Upper LH Sheet

Upper RH Sheet

• 1 month later...

The dimmer switch is a good suspect for the high beams. These old cars do not get driven much at night and the switch does not get exercised.

To check out the brake lights, just touch the two wires going to the brake switch together. If the brake lights come on , the problem is the switch.