1960 Metropolitan: weak spots, what to look out for?

Guest ken bogren

Guest ken bogren

I'm off to look at a 1960 Metropolitan convertible in the morning.

Anyone care to clue me in a bit as to what to look out for as far as weak points of these little cars go?

Guest Skyking

Ken, the weak points on Metropolitans are the inside door posts. Check the lower hinge area. It was exposed to the elements kicked up from the front tires. If there are any problems in that area the doors will sag..........this is not good! Also the rear shackels had a tendency to rot through the body. If it's a late model (with outside trunk) check to make sure the inside of the trunk or rear valence isn't rotted out. These areas mentioned could be fixed, but it would be an added expence. With convertibles it's very common to have rotted out floors. Check that area too. Make sure it is a true convertible and not one that the top was removed. Open the door and you should see a little wedge on the jamb that matches up with another wedge on the door. Only convertibles had this wedge. They also had a small added support under the body that hardtops didn't.......... I hope this helps.......

Guest ken bogren

Skyking; Thanks! That's exactly the type of info I was hoping for.

Were a lot of sedans converted to convertibles? That's a surprise and not something I would have even thought of looking for.

Shop Rat... thanks smile.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See, I knew that Skyking could help. smile.gif </div></div>

Susan, how did you know I love talking about Mets? laugh.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ken bogren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Were a lot of sedans converted to convertibles?

</div></div>

Ken, it's very easy to convert a hardtop and more & more people are doing just that. If you see a used set of convertible top bows on ebay, there are multiple bids on them. That's why the wedge and support are very important.

If you do purchase a Met you'll have alot of fun driving it. I enjoy them more than my Buick...........

Skyking covered it! Also look look at the top of the rear fenders. there should be a raised bead there that has a habit of rusting off. On the door anti-rattle wedge on converts the area on the door is recessed slighty where the wedge screws on. On a hardtop the door is smooth there with no indentation and no screwed-on parts.

To test for the body sag....open both doors at the same time (if the seller will let you) sit in it and try to close the door. If it drags...look carefully for major rust.

Bill

Guest ken bogren

critterpainter; Thanks for the info and tips! The indent for the wedge on the door should be an easy to spot clue.

I've wanted a Met for quite a while, so I'm trying not to get to excited about this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Susan, how did you know I love talking about Mets? laugh.gif </div></div>

Lets see here now, could it be the AVATAR photo of that cute little red and and white Metro? Or maybe the LIST of Metros that you have? whistle.gifsmirk.gifgrin.gif

Hmmmm, anyone want to place any bets? crazy.gif

Bill and I have gone and looked at a few over the years. One was so rotted (The owner of course said it was sound. The only sound we heard was rust hitting the ground.) it sagged in the middle like an egg about to crack.

By the way, we must have similar taste in cars. We have a 1963-1/2 Falcon Sprint convertible. Yours looks nice. cool.gif

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shop Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill and I have gone and looked at a few over the years. One was so rotted (The owner of course said it was sound. The only sound we heard was rust hitting the ground.) it sagged in the middle like an egg about to crack.

</div></div>

Susan, back in the 80's I bought a 1960 hardtop for a parts car that was sitting in back of a local Ford dealership. Standing 10 feet from this car you would have thought a good wax job was all it needed. Everything from the rockers down was totally gone. I just about towed it home. For a car that was rust dipped in the factory they did have a huge tendency to rust underneath.

I had Metropolitans when they were just used cars. Stories about 2 of the 3 I owned.

A 1959, very rusty hardtop, I decided to part out, this was 1966. I was by myself in my dad's shop, parents were at work and would not be home for many hours. I had it jacked up on one side with it's little jack that goes in the side socket. Now the next part is the stupidity of youth. I was working on removing the brake hub or something in that general area when I noticed the car sinking to the floor. I was sitting with my legs under the car. Before I could move I was trapped, the jack had gone through the floor. I was sitting there unhurt, thinking it was going to be a long day, when I thought, it sank because of rust. Then I grabbed the fender/rocker area and peeled it back and slid out.

My main driver was a 61 hard top. In 1967 I was driving in a heavy rain and didn't see a Falcon stopped in front of me. This was in town and a slow speed crash, I hit the brakes and tried to steer around the Ford but hit the left rear tail light with my front right fender. I broke his taillight, that's all. The Met, fender pushed in and the metal in the unibody was so rusty were the front suspension attached it rip loose. My dad and I spent a lot of time welding in new steel and getting the suspension reattached. I sold it soon after and bought a 66 Mustang (don't have that any more either).

The Met was a great running car and a lot of fun. Might even buy another one some day but I would look the unibody over very carefully for rust.

I couldn't believe how rusty these two cars were when they were only 5-7 years old. The 3rd Met was an early convertible that I just bought and resold when I decided it was to good to part out for some things I needed for the 61. I hope it is still around.

Someday I will tell you how many college kids you can get in a Met.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell you this much. If you are driving one and run over a truck rim inconveniently placed on the highway it will rip the oil pan right off, all the oil will run out and by the time you drive the 3 miles home the bearings will be ruined.</div></div>

Hmmm...somehow. I don't think that a weak oil pan was to blame here.....