WHAT TO CALL OUR OLD CARS ?

Guest Trunk Rack

Well Rick, it is still 25 years old and looks like that would qualify for the special interest plate, rod or no. The use restrictions look like those here in Illinois. Enforcement is very lax, but if your 18yr old in a Camaro is seen at the same school or work everyday it could attract attention for a ticket and re-doing the licensing. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poci1957</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess Trunk Rack is just trying to get a rise out of everyone, I cannot tell if he is legitimately concerned about this or not. If so, I do not know what criticism he can level against the AACA, as it has always firmly stated 25 years old is an antique, as do various antique license laws. Not much to complain about there, the so-called "putt putt" guys were there first and if you have, say, a 1985 model you want to drive then next year you will be included too. If you have a 1995 car then enjoy it and take it to the cruise night, but it is not an antique. Yet.

If he is criticizing the AACA for not accepting modified cars, then that is also not valid, the focus is what it is, you should find another club and enjoy their company. Likewise the CCCA seems to be often criticized but I think their list of Classics is pretty self-explanatory--if your car is on the list it is welcome, if not then you should join another club that covers your subject. I like Classics but I do not expect to take my Pontiac to a CCCA tour. Is this exclusionary? Absolutely. Will the club shrink from lack of participants? Maybe, but the fact remains it's focus is absolutely clear. I am in the Pontiac-Oakland Club and do not complain that I want to display a Ford at a Pontiac convention. If it is not Pontiacs I am interested in, then why am I there? If it is not original vehicles 25 years and older that I am interested in then I am not interested in the AACA. How unclear can this be? </div></div>

I agree with this 100%. Any car 25 years or older is an antique, whether old timers like them or think they are unworthy is irrelevent. It is based on age, nothing more. You cannot argue whether a car is more than 25 years old or not. It is a simple fact. Either it is or it isn't.

Classic on the other hand is based on quality, workmanship, rarity, etc. The CCCA has the list of what cars are Classics, and anything not on the list is not a Classic. The CCCA developed this list probably before the original poster of this topic was even born. Now they should change everything to suit him because he wants to call his car an "antique classic", a term I have never even heard used before. I have heard "antique" and "classic" both correctly and incorrectly used. I have never heard anyone call their car an "antique classic". If he is unable to own or even just appreciate a true "Classic", then he is in the wrong club and should join a club where he is happier and where his car is accepted. Quit whining that CCCA should change just to suit him.

By the way my car is not a Classic and I am not a grandpa. My 1976 Lincoln is an antique. I do get offended when people say it is not worthy of being called an antique since it obviously is one. As I said, that is based on age alone. However, it is not a Classic and never will be. If that bothered me, I wouldn't have bought it. I am not going to sit here and demand that CCCA accept it because I want to call it a Classic because I think the term sounds nice. I also don't take my Lincoln to a Packard meet and demand that it be shown and judged.

I am also tired of people joining clubs that are not suited to them or their cars, and then demanding that everything be changed just to suit them. There are clubs for all cars and all people. Join the one that is best suited to you.

That is right, thank you Linc400, exactly what I was trying to say, and you are so right on the people joining clubs.

The CCCA (I am not a member) seems to get the most flack on this, I guess from the uninitiated, but as I said since they actually have a list of cars their focus is crystal clear, outside criticism or no.

Of course there is legitimate concern that clubs are graying, not enough young people coming in, etc, and all that is a real problem. But the AACA in particular with the 25 year limit opens up to new people in with each year of new eligible cars. In my mind a 1976 Lincoln or a 1979 Trans Am like I have is not old enough to be a real antique, but that is my own mental block rather than the calendar, which does not lie--my Trans Am is as much an antique today as a 1957 TBird was when I first came to Hershey in 1987, like it or not. Should be pretty clear to all, 25 and you are in, and antique.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always thought if it wasn't older than me it wasn't old at all. 50 just won't cut it. grin.gif </div></div>

Man I thought 50 was old until I remembered I am almost 44.

heh heh.

Lets just say (now I got this from my Grandfather - an avid collector from Wauchula, Florida who passed in the 1970s) that anything newer than say the 1930s is JUST A USED CAR.

PWN, a 44 year old guy with a Chandler? Congrats, you are a REAL antique car guy, my postwar cars are indeed late model by comparison. I tip my hat to you sir!

I am now 41, started going to shows at 13. I joke that at the time I was the youngest guy there and now at 41.....I still am.

My son is 44 and has a 1909 E-M-F. Last year he drove it 33 miles from his home In Lititz, PA to the Hershey car show, and drove home that afternoon. Full load of passengers, both ways. I accompanied him in my relatively modern 1913 Ford.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ, aka Grandpa with Putt-Putts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PWN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hells bells, anything that is not at least 50 year old is just a 'used car'.

</div></div>

i see we are all just used car salesmen?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rickomo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PWN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hells bells, anything that is not at least 50 year old is just a 'used car'.

</div></div>

i see we are all just used car salesmen?</div></div>

Only if we decide to SELL them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rickomo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PWN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hells bells, anything that is not at least 50 year old is just a 'used car'.

</div></div>

i see we are all just used car salesmen?</div></div>

Only if we decide to SELL them. </div></div>

We don't sell cars. We buy them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rbl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: keiser31</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rickomo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hells bells, anything that is not at least 50 year old is just a 'used car'.

</div></div>i see we are all just used car salesmen?</div></div>

Only if we decide to SELL them. </div></div>

We don't sell cars. We buy them.

EXACTLY!!

Guest Trunk Rack
[quote= . . . . . as it has always firmly stated 25 years old is an antique. . . .

MAY NOT TRUE. Both the AACA and the CCCA have changed their scope over the years. I read somewhere, that there was a time when the AACA felt Model A Fords were "too modern" to be called an "antique" (since they had enclosed bodies, four wheel brakes, and didn't have "T head" type motor blocks like earlier cars that had been called "antiques"

If you look in the current CCCA bulletins and rule book, you will see they are allowing more and more cars in, and have even "over-printed" their old CLUB POLICY STATEMENT (about "dilluting the club with non classics) with bold caps 'CONFLICTS WITH CURRENT CLUB POLICIES"

. . . . "you should find another club and enjoy their company"

I dont think that is a helpful comment. Again, our present clubs want to be INCLUSIVE. That means attract MORE people. Best way to do that is to admit MORE cars.

= = = " Any car 25 years or older is an antique, whether old timers like them or think they are unworthy is irrelevent. It is based on age, nothing more. You cannot argue whether a car is more than 25 years old or not. It is a simple fact. Either it is or it isn't."

YES...I AGREE. That is the whole point of my original "post". Present policy of the various club management people is to encourage more members. THAT is why they have changed the rules to be MORE INCLUSIVE.

You apparently agree with the direction of the old car hobby today! ALL cars now OR EVER will be built are classic antiques! You just have to wait till 25 years goes by. And that may be changing too - I read where some people are seeking changes to lower that to FIFTEEN YEARS.

Was just looking at something in one of the Packard car clubs, where it is noted that for many years, they only wanted the big fancy "rich guy" Packards. That meant they would always have been a small club. Now they have LOTS of members!

" . . . .Classic on the other hand is based on quality, workmanship, rarity, etc. The CCCA has the list of what cars are Classics, and anything not on the list is not a Classic.

BALONEY. Look around at the REAL world. It is a free country. People are free to call ANYTHING they want "classic" or "antique". Dont you want to cooperate with present club management, and bring more people into our clubs ?

= = = =

" . . . By the way my car is not a Classic and I am not a grandpa. My 1976 Lincoln is an antique. I do get offended when people say it is not worthy of being called an antique since it obviously is one.. . "

OF COURSE your 1976 Lincoln is an "antique". Who would deny you the right to call it anything you wish? (dont you think we should come up with another word to describe those old pre 1920's cars that used to be referred to as "antiques"? I mean, look how different the pre 1920's cars are, from your antique 1976 Lincoln - hardly seems right to call THEM "antiques" too.

= = = =

" . .I am also tired of people joining clubs that are not suited to them or their cars, and then demanding that everything be changed just to suit them. . . "

I AGREE COMPLETELY. THAT IS ALL I AM SUGGESTING IN MY INITIAL POST IN THIS THREAD ! Which is - people relax and be more "inclusive" and accept what the modern managers of the various clubs are doing to the auto hobby !

I have a 1993 Ford Explorer. And it is truly a rusted out, nearly used up, Old Car. It has done it's duty, and done it well. grin.gif It will not make it to be a collectable in my stable. When it die's, It will become a parts vehicle and then become responsibly recycled. cry.gif And that will make the one someone has all that much rarer when the 93 officially becomes an "Antique" in 2018......tis the tale of an Old Car.

My 1915 Buick will be a 100 year old true "Classic" in 6 years. shocked.gif never thought that I would have a 100 year old classic car. whistle.gifgrin.gif

Sooooooo...OoooKaayyyyy. If it is starting to show dents and rust, I guess it is an Old Car.

If it is over 25 and a survivor, It deserves the title of Antique. Most cars do not last past 10 years. Yeah, I'm cool with that. cool.gif Slice it anyway you want. The day you drive it out of the dealers lot, it losses value and quickly becomes just another used car. Ohhhhh.....wait.....Hold the Phone....Another catagory...the dreaded "used car" catagory. sick.gif.... crazy.gif.... Nit pickin Fuddel hoppers.... What do we do with that catagory. I know, we should just leave those in the parkin lot! eek.gif....Hee he heee hawwww. laugh.gif The guys in the white coats are comming to take me away now, so I gotta go. crazy.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trunk Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

[quote= . . . . . as it has always firmly stated 25 years old is an antique. . . .

MAY NOT TRUE. Both the AACA and the CCCA have changed their scope over the years. I read somewhere, that there was a time when the AACA felt Model A Fords were "too modern" to be called an "antique" (since they had enclosed bodies, four wheel brakes, and didn't have "T head" type motor blocks like earlier cars that had been called "antiques"

If you look in the current CCCA bulletins and rule book, you will see they are allowing more and more cars in, and have even "over-printed" their old CLUB POLICY STATEMENT (about "dilluting the club with non classics) with bold caps 'CONFLICTS WITH CURRENT CLUB POLICIES"

I dont think that is a helpful comment. Again, our present clubs want to be INCLUSIVE. That means attract MORE people. Best way to do that is to admit MORE cars.

= = = " Any car 25 years or older is an antique, whether old timers like them or think they are unworthy is irrelevent. It is based on age, nothing more. You cannot argue whether a car is more than 25 years old or not. It is a simple fact. Either it is or it isn't."

YES...I AGREE. That is the whole point of my original "post". Present policy of the various club management people is to encourage more members. THAT is why they have changed the rules to be MORE INCLUSIVE.

You apparently agree with the direction of the old car hobby today! ALL cars now OR EVER will be built are classic antiques! You just have to wait till 25 years goes by. And that may be changing too - I read where some people are seeking changes to lower that to FIFTEEN YEARS.

Was just looking at something in one of the Packard car clubs, where it is noted that for many years, they only wanted the big fancy "rich guy" Packards. That meant they would always have been a small club. Now they have LOTS of members!

" . . . .Classic on the other hand is based on quality, workmanship, rarity, etc. The CCCA has the list of what cars are Classics, and anything not on the list is not a Classic.

BALONEY. Look around at the REAL world. It is a free country. People are free to call ANYTHING they want "classic" or "antique". Dont you want to cooperate with present club management, and bring more people into our clubs ?

= = = =

" . . . By the way my car is not a Classic and I am not a grandpa. My 1976 Lincoln is an antique. I do get offended when people say it is not worthy of being called an antique since it obviously is one.. . "

OF COURSE your 1976 Lincoln is an "antique". Who would deny you the right to call it anything you wish? (dont you think we should come up with another word to describe those old pre 1920's cars that used to be referred to as "antiques"? I mean, look how different the pre 1920's cars are, from your antique 1976 Lincoln - hardly seems right to call THEM "antiques" too.

= = = =

" . .I am also tired of people joining clubs that are not suited to them or their cars, and then demanding that everything be changed just to suit them. . . "

I AGREE COMPLETELY. THAT IS ALL I AM SUGGESTING IN MY INITIAL POST IN THIS THREAD ! Which is - people relax and be more "inclusive" and accept what the modern managers of the various clubs are doing to the auto hobby ! </div></div>

AACA and CCCA may have changed some of their regulations over the years. However, that is the club's decision to make, not some newcomer's who has joined and then decided he doesn't like the club's regulations. Also I believe AACA has had the 25 year old rule for quite a long time now.

Join another club is indeed a useful suggestion. If you have for example a 1995 Honda tuner, you are not going to convice CCCA that it is a Classic. You will only irritate the other members and make yourself unwelcome, and you will be miserable in the club. So why not join a Honda or tuner club where you and your car will be accepted and happy.

Why should CCCA or AACA have to change just to get more members? I don't think either club is at risk of going under. If they get to that point, they can decide whether they want to make changes or not.

My friend belongs to a hearse club. It is the only club for the stock preservation of hearses. Yet every year people join and then demand that they change their rules to allow goofy looking Halloween creations with 22" wheels, flames, blowers sticking through the hood, and all kinds of tasteless fake gore in, on, and around the car. There are about 10 other clubs that exist for such cars, yet people always have to join the stock club, and then get all upset when their goofy Halloween cars aren't allowed on the show field. Yes, the club's membership would probably double or triple if they allowed such cars, but that is not the focus of the club. The whole reason this club was formed in the first place is because they were not welcome at Cadillac, Packard, etc. shows with their stock hearses. So now after forming their own club that meeets what they wanted to accomplish, they should allow the goofy Halloween cars that were probably responsible for them not being allowed in the regular marque clubs just so these people can show their monstrosities? I don't think so. They don't even have to form their own club to show them. Just join one of the many clubs already in existence with that focus.

There are terms to differentiate between a 1976 Lincoln and other cars. Antique, Classic, Vintage, Brass-era, Horseless carriage, Milestone, Collectible. Yet your argument is that people should be allowed to call their car whatever they want, such as "antique classics". So what is the point of having all these terms to show the differences if you claim anybody should be able to call their car whatever they want.

Yes it is a free country and people can say whatever they want. They can say that they have purebred Dobermans for sale. But if the puppies look like a cross between a rat and a floor mop, they obviously are not. It is not an insult to say that a 1997 Honda is not a Classic, Milestone, or antique. It is a fact. You cannot show it as such at an AACA meet, license it, or insure it as such.

My 1976 Lincoln is an antique. It is not a Classic, Milestone, Brass-era, etc. Why should I argue that should be called that when it obviously isn't? When someone says my car is not worthy of being called a Classic, it is not an insult, because it does not meet the criteria. However, when someone says my car is not worthy of being called an antique, that IS an insult, because it does meet the criteria for that.

I belong to a couple of clubs. No I do not want them to change to allow more people and cars in the clubs if it means changing the original focus of the club. I joined because the focus was on Lincolns for example. If they change to allow Chevys, and the club quadruples in size, yet every meet has 20 Chevys for every 1 Lincoln, then I am no longer interested in the club. I joined because Chevys are everywhere. Lincons are not, and I wanted to see Lincolns not Chevys. It does not mean that Chevys are bad. It is just not what I am interested in and they should go join a Chevy club, not try to change the Lincoln club. It is the same with CCCA. I assume the members are there because they want to see Full Classics, not Mustangs and Hondas.

Ditto what Linc400 said. There won't be an AACA, CCCA, HCCA etc. etc. if all clubs become all inclusive, one size fits all / social club and card party. Some clubs seem to be loosing their identity and their original mission in order to bring in new members.

I don't have a problem with someone calling their cars whatever they want. But just because they call it a "classic" doesn't mean that the CCCA has to accept it. I don't think Trunk Rack understands the various clubs as well as he thinks he does. The CCCA is not expanding their list to gain new members, they are expending their list to gain more cars. There is a distinct difference. It is difficult to define a "Classic". It is more of a "I know one when I see one" thing. That is why the CCCA has a classification committee that reviews various groups of cars and one offs for acceptance. The CCCA was formed in 1958 when 40's cars were just used cars. They have since expanded their list to add certain models up through 1948. A few years ago the committee determined that certain cars built before 1925 (low end cut-off year) are essentially the same model as the accepted 1925 model. Just recently, the committee added wood bodied cars like Chrysler Town & Country which were not previously accepted. Fords are not considered acceptable except a few special cars have been added such as the Brewster Town Cars built on Ford Chassis.

The term "classic" doesn't have the same meaning to all clubs either. The CCCA does not accept all Cadillacs, Lincolns, or Packards up through 1948. Low priced cars like the Packard 120 and Cad series 61 are not CCCA eligible. Even though the Lincoln Zephyr has a V12, it is not on the CCCA list either. These cars along with several others up through the 50's are classified as "classic" in the AACA. Some specific mark clubs and hot rod type clubs classify anything re-powered that remotely looks like the original body as a classic. I have no doubt that there is some club some where that would classify Mr. Trunk Rack's 19XX Whatsit as a "classic" "Classic" or "Klassic".

I'd say go find that club. I'm not trying to offend anyone but the reason to join a particular club is to share a common interest and learn how to properly restore your car or for that matter, build it the way you want. Find that group or groups that share your interest.

I can't believe I'm responding to a troll but here it goes.

Why don't all clubs let all cars in and then all the clubs will have lots of members, right? In fact, each club can call themselves the same thing, the "Veteran Antique Classic Old Vintage Special Interest Foreign Domestic New Car Club".

That's inclusive and I'll bet that each club will have millions of members.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trunk Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

= = = =

= = = =

I AGREE COMPLETELY. THAT IS ALL I AM SUGGESTING IN MY INITIAL POST IN THIS THREAD ! Which is - people relax and be more "inclusive" and accept what the modern managers of the various clubs are doing to the auto hobby ! </div></div>

Guest Trunk Rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OOhhh Booyyy...I'll beable to take my 1993 rusted out Ford to a "Horseless Carrige Club of America" tour and they will have to let me in to be "Politically Correct." Heh heh heh smirk.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

WRONG WRONG WRONG. The HORSELESS CARRIAGE CLUB is (at least to my knowledge) the one old car club that is NOT the LEAST bit interested in being "politically correct".

They admit the cars that we USED to also call "antiques", meaning cars with REAL "antique" features, such as "T" head motors, rear-wheel external contracting brakes, magneto ignition (since on-board electrical systems were not yet in wide use) carbide gas for lighting, etc., etc. Their year "cut-off" is EARLIER than the 1920's.

As a result, they remain a close-knit group with a membership that stays pretty much constant down thru the years.

As with other old car clubs, you do NOT have to have a qualifying car to belong. Just dont try and bring that "antique" 1970's Lincoln to participate in THEIR events!

If we're still debating...

I really dislike the calling of anything post-WWII "antique". It just sounds wrong. A 25 year old object, whether a car or anything else, can only be "antique" to a teenager, and usually with a negative connotation. "Vintage" would be a much better choice here.

Another distinction is "classic" vs. "Classic". The latter is clearly defined by the club. The former is subjective and has nothing to do with age. A 1986 Ford Taurus is a classic 1980's design that is bound to become collectible some day, but it most certainly is not a Classic car.

Trunk Rack, I guess I still do not understand your issue with this. I still think the club issues are perfectly clear (CCCA Classic list and AACA 25 years old). Looking at your posts I see you are interested in prewar Cadillacs and Packards, is your problem with the CCCA? I think the term classic (small c) is overused and unclear to new enthusiasts, but suffice it to say it has an official (capital C) and unofficial (1986 Taurus?) usage, and what else can you do? They will not change and I don't blame them, the focus is what it is. The AACA is as inclusive as can be, and if you have a 20 year old car you want to show just wait 5 years and you are in. In summary, club focus is clear to most of us, informal usage is not. Maybe you could tell us specifically what your concern or problem is?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trunk Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1DandyDaves</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OOhhh Booyyy...I'll beable to take my 1993 rusted out Ford to a "Horseless Carrige Club of America" tour and they will have to let me in to be "Politically Correct." Heh heh heh smirk.gif Dandy Dave! </div></div>

WRONG WRONG WRONG. The HORSELESS CARRIAGE CLUB is (at least to my knowledge) the one old car club that is NOT the LEAST bit interested in being "politically correct".

They admit the cars that we USED to also call "antiques", meaning cars with REAL "antique" features, such as "T" head motors, rear-wheel external contracting brakes, magneto ignition (since on-board electrical systems were not yet in wide use) carbide gas for lighting, etc., etc. Their year "cut-off" is EARLIER than the 1920's.

As a result, they remain a close-knit group with a membership that stays pretty much constant down thru the years.

As with other old car clubs, you do NOT have to have a qualifying car to belong. Just dont try and bring that "antique" 1970's Lincoln to participate in THEIR events! </div></div>

Don't you know I'm throwing a little sarcasum -N- bustin your balls. crazy.gif I do know the HCCA Rules. Any car that was built before 1916 is accepted. That does include my 1915 Buick which does have electric starting and lights as equiped from the factory. Ahh yess, the tail end of the Brass era. I have the best of both worlds, I do not have to hand start it, and it is still considered a "Brass Era" car. wink.gif I was trying to get a rise out of you and I did. You make it sound like you want all clubs to bend their rules to let you in. And now you admitt that there are clubs that are not interested in "political correctness". I'm taking my "Grandpa Putt Putt car" Touring, See ya laugh.gif Dandy Dave!

Windjamer, I bought that Ford because at the time I needed something that would haul two wheel chairs for two handicapped childern. I measured the back and the chairs just fit. The price was right for me at the time. It has served me well, but it will never be Hershey material....I now have a Chevy Van with a wheel chair lift that I no longer need as the Childern are now in a group home and doing well I might add. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Dandy Dave said "Any car that was built before 1916 is excepted" in the club. I believe he meant the opposite "accepted" into the club. Two totally different rules if you confuse them.

Dave you need some of that new cemical my step-son ask me about.He was looking at a 68 cam a roo,but the bottom underside was covered with scaley rust. The guy selling it told him just put it on a lift and spray it with this chemical and the rust would turn to new metal. He asked me if i ever used this stuf and I told him if he found it to buy me a trailer load.

Come (land) Rover, Come on boy......Get me outta here Rover old boy....I'm a sinking mighty fast.... eek.gif

Rolls my dear boy, come here and take me home boy. Heeeeere Rolls.... shocked.gif

keiser31, You are right, I can't get em to come no way , No how. I always hafta 'crank em up" if I want em....And pamper them if I want them to be reliable. cry.gif .... frown.gif... smile.gif .... laugh.gif ....That's it, me and the 15 Buick (Great Grandads Putt Putt car) are going touring whistle.gif Dandy Dave!