WHAT TO CALL OUR OLD CARS ?

Guest Trunk Rack

Guest Trunk Rack

I am sick and tired of the few "grandpa' types who come into various "threads" in our forum, and try and tell us that we cant call our cars "antique classics".

Dont you think it is time our monitors got control again, and remove the disruptive "posts" of these "grandpa" types like they did in the past ?

I realize some or even most of the "grandpa" types with their pre-1980's or older "putt putt" cars probably dont have modern TV, and that may explain why they dont know what is going on in the auto hobby today.

Presumably, most of you have DIRECT TV or some similar method of getting modern television. Today ( March 11) on Channel 76 was a great show by CLASSIC CAR CLUB, followed by CHASING CLASSIC CARS. It will be repeated tomorrow starting at 11:30 am. (you'll have to use your "search" function to find it on any given time zone). Lots of really neat cars were honored, and only a few were older than the 1980's.

Bottom line - a review of the current regs. of BOTH the AACA and the CLASSIC CAR CLUB confirm we want to be INCLUSIVE, not drive young people away. Look at our list of AACA officers and their cars. Anyone want to tell our officers that they dont know what an antique classic is ?

As a member of BOTH AACA and CLASSIC CAR CLUB I can quote you page, chapter, and verse to confirm our present policies. You dont make friends with young people by telling them their 80's car is not an antique classic.

Kinda thin skinned don't you think? Why do care what anyone calls your ride, vehicle, car, jittney, clunker, classic, antique, fliver, collectabile, automobile, rust bucket, rod, junker, beater etc etc etc. You are allowed to call your car whatever the Hell you want. You want your 1984 Honda to be a "Classic" that's fine with me. Or your V-16 Caddy to be P.O.S. money pit. That works too. Sounds to me like you need a REAL problem to worry about......Bob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trunk Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Dont you think it is time our monitors got control again, and remove the disruptive "posts" of these "grandpa" types like they did in the past ?

</div></div>

You mean like they did before you registered, what, about two months ago? If that were the case, half of what you post would get deleted.

One time I was at an all MOPAR muscle car meet with my daughter and we were walking past a bunch of Hemi cars and Super Bees, etc...We came across this Dodge Omni that was all "computer chipped up" and I said to her "Now this is what I would NOT call a muscle car". MAN, the owner heard me say that and he was instantly an inch from my face spitting at me red-faced, veins bulging about how if I didn't know what they were about, don't say that. I learned a lesson at that moment.....call a guy's car whatever you want, but not to his face.

I don't think you get his point. If your V16 & 31 Dodge are older than 1980 - its a "put put" and you are a "grandpa" for owning one as factory equiped. So much for this new fangled "inclusiveness" of the "must-include-whatever-jumbled, mangled & maligned-clump-of-parts-you-can-assemble-on-wheels-in-every-club-in-order-to-grow-membership" crowd. As he says, just look at the cars of the officers of these clubs. That is an unfortunate effect when that "inclusive" crowd takes over. I really don't care, if its your car, your time and your money, do with it what you want. But I don't know why some people want to inflict their "creativness" on ALL car organizations. Or why Hershey can't be an ACTUAL, REAL, ANTIQUE car event without Old Cars Weekly or some other hobby editor wineing that "there aren't enough hot rods (or whatever new fangled term they use on these picture typewritters) at Hershy." ............

If this Dude belongs to the Classic Car Club ,then he should know that cars recognized by them are "Classic" I hear the word Classic used on 57 Chevys, and although I LOVE 57 Cheys, they certainly are NOT classics.

For what it is worth ,I am a "grampa type". I have 17 grand children and 6 great grand children.

I also have a street rod, and have had a legitimate "classic" , so I guess I'm just an old Rebel

I must not be following this discussion very well.

I was born in 1960 and I own a 1929 Model A Ford Phaeton as well as a 1976 Ford Country Squire Wagon. I am not a "Grandpa"... yet. That will take at least a few more years. I often refer to my cars as "Old Cars", or as "Antique Cars", as in "Antique Automobile Club of America", I never call my cars "classics" or "Classics" (since some people would be highly offended if I used a Capital "C"). Usually, I just refer to them as "The Phaeton" and "The Wagon".

I don't think it is too important what I call them or what others call them. I think it is just important to appreciate all of the "Old car people" who appreciate old cars, no matter what the vintage.

Guest Trunk Rack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> . . . I don't think it is too important what I call them or what others call them. I think it is just important to appreciate all of the "Old car people" who appreciate old cars, no matter what the vintage. . . </div></div>

= = =

Couldn't agree more ! Hope more people JOIN the AACA and READ our Club publications and find out how our fellow car buffs feel these days !

I had said I was gonna stay out of this- not.

I'm 52. Not a grandpa, not even a dad. I've owned a pile of 60s and 70s cars, several 80s cars, and two 90s cars- one of which I wish I had never seen, it was that bad... you could not give me another post-1995 S10 based vehicle, put it that way.

The 80s cars were: 1980 Thunderbird Town Landau (nowhere near a classic, though it could now be considered an antique); 1983 and 1984 TransAMs (same description as Thunderbird) and my current dependable and near indestructible daily driver, a 1987 Dodge K-car.

The 'Bird and the K were/are "putt-putt" cars. A smogged 255 cid V8 and a 2.2L four definitely "putt" especially when compared to my 60s and even 70s big V8s.

The two TransAMs had 305 HO engines. Whoopty freaking doo. Even the 5-speed 84 with 3.73 gearing left something to be desired, again b/c I was used to thundering big V8s.

Therefore, having lived thru and owned cars from the years in question, I think I can unequivocally say that they may qualify for antique status at age 25, but they will never come close to being a classic. Uninspired and in some cases banal styling, mostly lackluster performance, and next to no parts support do not a desirable old car make.

Trunkrack, what is this 80s car you are so determined to convince us is an "antique classic"? I can think of only a handful I'd even consider worth owning for collector interest, and they'd have to be exceptional original cars then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Couldn't agree more !</div></div>

Well, now that we're all on the same page, Mr. Trunk Rat, exactly how would you like your 1980's treasure (not a putt-putt) to be reffered to so your exquisite sensitity isn't offended. May I suggest "Neuvo-Classic" or how about "Pre Contemparary Collectable". Not impressive enough? Well, forgive me. I'm obviously just an old fart.........Bob

I was at the Buick Club National Meet in Columbus some years ago, and made a comment on a lovely, late-'50's Buick. A man younger than me (I'm 51 now) said, "I've been going to BCA Nationals since I was 5, and back then, everyone griped about these ratty 'new' '50's cars showing up at our shows...they're just old used cars!"

It's all relative, and totally subjective; I offer up my '57 Roadmaster, shown in the DPC Class...

Roadmistress_Rainey6X.jpg

Larger, click once after opening.

Guilty as charged, for loving the car(s) that I love. Who is anyone to judge?

TG

While checking out Wictionary for the definition of a classic I came across the term that is used in Cuba to describe an Americian car. The term is "Yank Tank"

So what ever he wants to call his car, let him go over into a corner and yank his tank if he wants to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"grandpa" types with their pre-1980's or older "putt putt" cars </div></div>

Putt Putt cars....Haaaa haaa ha haaaa.... laugh.gif The only thing in my collection that are true Putt putts are Johnny Putt Putts. As in a 1939 John Deere A tractor on rubber, and a 1937 John Deere BO on Iron.

Most of those big CID Muscle cars of the 50's, 60's and early 70's could kick the crap out of those 1980's, and above rice burners. Most of the true 1 and 2 cylinder "Putt Putt cars were built before 1910. Putt Putt... Heee hee Hawww.... laugh.gifgrin.gifsmirk.gif

I love Grandma -N- Grandpaw types as they were my insperation of collection and preserving our past for the future. Now, I am not there yet, But it is comming. wink.giflaugh.gif Dandy Dave!

I have seen this conversation before several times. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I remember when a Model A Ford was put on the cover of Antique Automobile magazine and a lot of members thought that was the end. I have collected and restored cars for years and I now have a Grandson collecting cars. He is collecting Toyoto cars, that's not my cup of tea, but it's what he likes and I work with him on them. The hobby and the people in it change, that's what makes it interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trunk Rack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am sick and tired of the few "grandpa' types who come into various "threads" in our forum, and try and tell us that we cant call our cars "antique classics". </div></div>

Out in the real world people can refer to their car in any generic way they want to. However, here in the AACA world there is a strict list of what is considered a true "Classic" and can be shown as such in an AACA show. Most folks in the AACA learn the difference and they then do not refer to their vehicle as a classic if it does not meet the AACA standard to be one.

Where we live there is a street rod club named "The Golden Oldies". Parade after parade the cars from our AACA Region would be referred to as "golden oldies". We fought it for years with the announcers and gave them written copy about what to call our cars. No luck. frown.gif

If what you really want is respect from others, it is not the best idea to come here and treat us (and you probably know very few of us in person) like you feel you have been treated by one or two.

I agree that there are people in this club that have VERY closed minds about the year cut off. It is a bit strange to see a car on the show field that we saw as a new car. (Yeah I am that old at almost 58. cool.gif ) But every generation in this hobby has felt that since the club was formed. Adding a new year each year opens the hobby up to new folks that want to preserve the cars that they remember as well as the ones that are like art that moves.

We all don't have to like the same thing. Just remember the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all." Or at least wait until you get out of the owner's earshot. blush.gifgrin.gif

I enjoy Wayne's antics on "Chasing Classic Cars" however we run in entirely different circles. Do have trouble with a $60,000 Fiat Jolly though have liked the Fiats I have owned.

For me what you call it does not really matter but my cars have always been "drivers" whether new or 40 years old. The only thing "Antique" around here is me.

Living in Florida, anything that does not have a/c need not apply unless the top is removable (and both is better).

Generations change. I remember when the GTOAA was formed mainly because POCI thought they were too "late model" (and I am talking about '64-'74).

Today, all my cars are GM, not because they are better than Ford or Mopar (or Fiat) but because I have not yet run out of interesting GM cars - at the moment I only have one with four seats and that is the GTO.

Just wish Florida had a better looking "Collector" plate, think that is the real designation and not "antique", or "classic", or "brass era" or "horseless carriage". All were "new cars" at some point just we do not have to hide it in the bushes when encountering a horse any more.

So nothing wrong with kids and newer cars, they eventually become us.

If a car isn't an antique, a lot of us laymen call it a "classic." Vehicles not 25 years old but of a collectible or low production nature and in original configuration can be registered as a "classic car" in Pennsylvania.

Does it matter if we call a 10 - 15 year old car a classic? Not really as long as you're not trying to join the Classic Car Club! Welcome to America, and try to get over it! As was stated earlier, the younger generation won't join if we keep this up. My car was only 8 years old when a local AACA let me show it. If they hadn't let me then, I probably wouldn't be here now. 1984 cars are now antiques, think about that!

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFranklin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Trunk Rat is a TROLL, just having fun at someone elses expence</div></div>

x 24320940546546!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people just have too much time on their hands. I know I do!!! Fortunately winter is almost dead here, so I can get off here and get out cruising again!!!! laugh.gif

Guest Bluesky636

Around my neck of the woods, my car is known as "The RED 1964 Galaxie." When people who haven't seen it ask "why" I tell them "Well, its red and a 1964 Galaxie." LOL Nuff said.

I guess Trunk Rack is just trying to get a rise out of everyone, I cannot tell if he is legitimately concerned about this or not. If so, I do not know what criticism he can level against the AACA, as it has always firmly stated 25 years old is an antique, as do various antique license laws. Not much to complain about there, the so-called "putt putt" guys were there first and if you have, say, a 1985 model you want to drive then next year you will be included too. If you have a 1995 car then enjoy it and take it to the cruise night, but it is not an antique. Yet.

If he is criticizing the AACA for not accepting modified cars, then that is also not valid, the focus is what it is, you should find another club and enjoy their company. Likewise the CCCA seems to be often criticized but I think their list of Classics is pretty self-explanatory--if your car is on the list it is welcome, if not then you should join another club that covers your subject. I like Classics but I do not expect to take my Pontiac to a CCCA tour. Is this exclusionary? Absolutely. Will the club shrink from lack of participants? Maybe, but the fact remains it's focus is absolutely clear. I am in the Pontiac-Oakland Club and do not complain that I want to display a Ford at a Pontiac convention. If it is not Pontiacs I am interested in, then why am I there? If it is not original vehicles 25 years and older that I am interested in then I am not interested in the AACA. How unclear can this be?

Guest windjamer

I may be wrong but I think trunk rack or thunkrat or what ever he calls him self today is most likely just a kid trying to rattle our cage. Remember when we where also a young smarta** kid and we would call the local store and ask if they had Prince Albert in a can? or call a random # and ask do you have your TV on? Hows it fit?? He may be still driving a trycicle,that is if he is potty trained.Dont let him jerk your chain,when he grows up he may be a car nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve Braverman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine calls them all "old scows." I'm not really sure what it means, but it's probably appropriate. smile.gif </div></div>

I believe a "Scow" is a wooden boat. And an "Old Scow" is a rotted out, or patched up old wooden Boat.

Ah yes, I am correct. PUSH HERE wink.gif Dandy Dave!

If I didn't call mine that at least once a week, they would think they had a new owner... or at the very least that something was seriously amiss...

I called the K-car that last week. Something to do with banging my head on top of the door opening trying to get out of it.

Guest rickomo1

just finished a 1984 Camaro for my son (18 years old) this weekend and antique plates are going on!! Not because we think its an antique or will be a classic because the registration is much cheaper. Its the newest car our family owns and it cost me a whole $500.00 and another $300.00 for parts and i bought it because I think its a nice body style.As for Grandpa's wait till you run into a mechanical issue with any car I would bet you call a grandpa not a computer scientist.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: windjamer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">local store and ask if they had Prince Albert in a can? or call a random # and ask do you have your TV on? Hows it fit?? </div></div>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA Ive heard of prince albert in a can and of course is your refrigerator running...but not Is your TV on. I laughed LOUDLY at that one!

Rick O'Mohundro,

You stated that you are going to register your son's car as an antique. That would be a big mistake as your insurance company may not pay for an accident that your son causes, as antique cars are not to be used for general use.

You may argue the point but you may lose and have to pay off a $200,000 libiality suit yourself! Is it worth the risk?

Guest rickomo1

I will definately check into that, but so far in oregon the antique plates say your car is over 25 years and no deq or inspections. There is no restrictions on mileage per year and the car ( insurance ) must be appraised otherwise the insurance company will give you what it thinks it's worth which is next to nothing. will check today and let you know the results. thanks again better safe than sorry.

Guest rickomo1

looked it up you are right i was wrong again, see below

Antique

General Information: In 2008, <span style="font-weight: bold">a vehicle must have been manufactured in 1954 or earlier </span>to qualify for this license plate. Vehicles must be maintained as a collector's item.

Plate Fees: $3 (one plate issued)

Available For: Passenger Vehicles, Motor Homes, Buses, Mopeds, Motorcycles, Trucks, Travel Trailers, Campers, Special Use Trailers, Heavy Trailers and Light Trailers.

Special Interest

General Information: This plate is issued to a vehicle that is maintained as a collector’s item and <span style="font-weight: bold">is at least 25 years old </span>at the time of application, <span style="font-weight: bold">a vehicle sanctioned as a vehicle of special interest by an established organization that provides for recognition</span>, or is a street rod as defined by ORS 801.513. This plate is also issued to a vehicle that is a racing activity vehicle as defined in Oregon law. Vehicles may only be used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses.

Plate Fees: $3 (one plate issued)

Available For: Passenger Vehicles, Motor Homes, Buses, Mopeds, Motorcycles, Trucks, Travel Trailers, Campers, Special Use Trailers, Heavy Trailers and Light Trailers.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So the camaro would not qualify period unless i rod it.</span>

and so in oregon it cannot be called an antique.