Light inspection, Teetor Hartley engines

Guest Xprefix28truck

Guest Xprefix28truck

Is there much info on Teetor Hartley engines or Light inspection car engines? I know Teetor Hartley built engines in a town close to me. Hagerstown, Indiana is where Perfect Circle originated. I was on the board of directors at the museum for a few years. We had an original Teetor engine from an American Underslung at the museum. I found papers at one time showing that they made engines for several different car companies. But I have never personaly seen one in a car. Does anyone here own one?

Perfect Circle had many names in the beginning. It was founded by Charles Teetor. Any info on what is still around would be interesting. Thanks, Kent Moore

Guest Xprefix28truck

Am I confused about this? Surely someone here knows what I'm looking for. What engines came in the American Underslugs? Any input?

Guest Indianfour

Sir: I purchased a 1917 Auburn Beauty Six in Ft. Wayne, Indiana back in the 1980's. This was the only year that Auburn Automobile Company used the Teetor-Hartley engine in their vehicles.

I had the complete automobile except the rear part of the body that the rear seat mounts in. I advertised nationally for several years and could never find the rear body section. I, reluctantly, sold the remains and it finally ended up in the State of Michigan. The new owner completely rebuilt the Teetor-Hartley engine and installed it in his 1917 Pilot (?), which used this same engine.

I very much wanted to see that Auburn automobile restored to its former glory but I couldn't seem to get the job done.

There may have been other auto makers that used the Teetor-Hartley engine but I am not knowledgeable about that. Indian Four

Guest Xprefix28truck

Thanks for the input. I need to find my list of what all the cars were that they put these engines in.

Indian four, I sure would have liked to see it too!

Alan, I sent you a PM. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Auburn used four or five different Teetor Hartley engines in different models between 1914 and 1918. My reference is Don Butler's book Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg ISBN 0-87938-701-7

It says that all were 4cylinder T-heads except one that was an L-head. Also the Union Four, which was closely linked to Auburn it seems, and was last badged as an Auburn model, had a Teetor Hartley engine. Ivan Saxton