3800 engine questions

Regal1687

Hey guys, got a couple quick questions. My stepdad is Craig57 and he owns a reatta but i own a 98 Buick Regal. When i bought the car it didnt have any noises, but now the engine is making a ticking noise. As soon as i start it, the noise starts right up and never stops. Any ideas on what it could be? New engine maybe? Also I have a problem with the acceleration. It hesitates every once in awhile. When it does hesitate, it may do it for 4 to 5 seconds and then kicks in... I need some answers. Thankyou for your time!!!

P.S. step dad just came in and said the ticking can be heard from two blocks away, and describes it more as banging haha.

I'd look at the harmonic balancer first, have heard of many going recently, think it is an age issue. If banging you will be able to feel the cracks.

How old is the ignition ? When mine started hesitating a lot on acceleration it was bad plug wires.

I got one a while back that you would have thought it was about to throw a rod. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer. Reach down and try to rotate it (engine off of course). You might just find your noise. I don't remember if it was quite on deceleration.

Hey I gave it more thought and when i first purchased the car the engine had no noise at all. After driving it for about a week or two the ticking noise began only when i started the car. The noise would go away if i let the car sit there for about 5 mins. I don't know it that would help at all but just throwing it out there.

Guest CL_Reatta

Sounds A LOT like a exhaust manifold gasket. I would try replacing those. In my Class at school that is exactly the symptoms of a exhaust manifold gasket going bad

Guest craig hewitt

first thing i would do is take the belt off if its the balancer it will go away. If its not that could be rods go under and listen and get back with us

Guest CL_Reatta

^

Well Craig, a rod knock would not go away under deceleration, and as he pointed out, originally it would go away after 5 minutes= The exhaust gasket gets warm, expands so it then goes away

Guest halofaller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL_Reatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds A LOT like a exhaust manifold gasket. I would try replacing those. In my Class at school that is exactly the symptoms of a exhaust manifold gasket going bad </div></div>

I'll second that. Once the engine warms up it seals better and the tocking might go away. It will come back. When sitting and revving the engine it might sound like it goes away after sitting. Rool down the windows and have someone else listen to the engine while driving. Under power can they hear the ticking? If so check the manifolds. An engine stethascope will help a lot.

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ronnie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An exhaust leak is easy to find. Spray some Seafoam into the intake and watch for the smoke to come out where the exhaust is leaking. </div></div>

That might work, only problem is sometimes when it is an exhaust gasket leak though. the actual crack in the gasket is not large enough (a exhaust gasket leak can be very very marginal) To allow any noticeable amount of visible exhaust..... When my rover had this problem I tried looking for it in the morning, but no luck though.... couldn't hurt to put seafoam in anyways though smile.gif

Guest CL_Reatta

Dont forget, it is air leaking that we are talking about... the amount of sound it puts out does not matter how large of an opening that the air is passing thru.

Guest craig hewitt

Well CL you might be right given we cant hear the noise but how many cracked or missing manifold gaskets are there in history of this engine Ive never heard of one but you never know dougnut gasket are common. Also coverters braking apart and sounding awful just like they described hopefully we will a report

Guest crazytrain2

You might want to check to make sure you don't have a broken motor mount - the rear mount on drivers side would cause symptoms you describe.

Hey, thanks to everyone for giving me the good answers and advice. I appreciate it and will check on the things you guys have told me. I will check with the mechanic at my work and have him read these and check them one at a time. I do think it is the exhaust gasket, thanks again. I'll come on in a couple days after we check for the problem!

Hi, Regal!

My bet would be on the HB/pulley, use a mirror to look it over closely, watch for any cracks in the rubber element, or wobbling of the outer steel pulley ring.

If pulley is okay, check coolant recovery tank for oil, (intake gasket seal failure), or coolant/water in oil at filler cap/dipstick, (head gasket failure). Either of these can cause niose from the top-end.

Also, check wires/plugs for leaks/shorts, misting with water from spray bottle while running engine. The ticking can be from a spark/short, which could translate to a knock from misfire at higher RPMs.

How's your Dad's vents/cruise workin'?