Another idea needed for my local PBS station Auction

Tom Laferriere

Hi everyone,

I am working with my local PBS talent (also a car guy) and want to auction off something car related to the PBS bidding community from my business. Some choices: Amphicar, Stanley, Early racers, Packards, etc. Some ideas for an auction are:

1. Amphicar rides in 3 local lakes (Take the Plunge)

2. Win an Amphicar to take Mom and Dad for ride in a classic convertible car for the afternoon, but not tell them its an amphibious car. (Amphicar Surprise went I go down the ramp and pretend the brakes dont work)

3. Model T driving lessons.

4. Rumble seat rides (if I have a rumble car at that time)

5. Spend a day with Tom Laferriere, local car enthusiast and owner of several unique and vintage automobiles, rides and explanations in all of them.

6. Or some variation of all of them or something I have not thought of?

What are your ideas guys and gals?

Thanks,

Tom

Is the ALCO factory building still standing? How about other Rhode Island built car factories? A day tour in one of your cars with a history of then and now of auto related events Pre 1910. Wasn't it Mrs. Astor that housted the first ever Auto Show with flower decorated autos @1900? I've got an article in an old Scientific American, then again there is Google.

When I show my 1931 car, I get several requests, each year, by brides to be to drive the bride and groom from the church to the reception. I have done it as a favor to friends but not commercially. If I charge, my antique car insurance increases from $112 to $1,000 a year.

I was also asked about prom to pick up the couple for photos, take them to the restaurant and then to the dance. They are responsible to get home after prom.

It would be for a 3 hour time period with a value of $450.

Tom,

Auction off a ride in the Stanley Steamer. Chances are

good that they won't get to ride with Jay Leno in his,

so here's the once in a lifetime chance!

In this time of attention back on alternate energy vehicles,

other TV stations could bid too.

Tom,

I sugest you avoid No. 2 as the surprise may be too much for old folks like me.

But I think the idea of a day with you would be good also coupled with a short ride. But then you might get into a liability issue with your insurer.

For a ride in a spedster, I might bid from CT.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

I am now set up with Rhode Island PBS for "Spend a day with Laferriere Classic Cars". On-line bidding is available and of course all $$$ go to PBS. I think it will be fun. I will have to work aside and have fun with the cars...oh wait, I already do that!

Here is a direct link to the auction.