Electronic Climate Control not working in my 91

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

I was driving my car and the heat came on after a while like usual. I go into Rite Aid and pick up a few things. When I come out and start the car, I can't get any of the options on the Electronic Climate Control to work. Everything is lit up correctly, but when the buttons are pushed and the heat is set all the way up to 90 degrees, nothing happens. Even after 15 minutes of driving (it never does that). Keep in mind it is 31 degrees out and I tried every viable option (all heat settings high through low). There is no new code flashing. I tried looking at the three spots where there are relays and fuses and I couldn't find a fuse/relay for the ECC, just one for the A/C. The heater fan is usually extremely loud in my car on full blast, and there isn't a single sound being made not even a buzz. Any ideas?

JCRULZ

Had that happen on one of my 92 Riv's. I happened to have an extra ECC from a boneyard, so w/o much investigation first (after checking relay) I took the easy way out and swapped it and all worked fine. They take less than 10 minutes to swap and one from a 90-93 Riv should fit your Reatta, I think. If you have an extra on hand, try a swapout first and see if that fixes your problem. They're also on Ebay every now and again.

Guest daveagain909

you can also get them to work by cleaning the buttons. I believe it can be found on reatta.net. It is not hard to do you just have to follow the instructions. Just did one but have not had a chance to put it back in the 90 convert. which had the temp control down button stop working. HEAR ARE THE WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS WHICH HAS PICTURES THAT DID NOT UPLOAD try reatta.net

you need to remove the climate control (dash unit) and open it. In the picture below you will see the circuit board that is behind the buttons.

You need to clean the contacts. You will note that there is a black plastic cover over the grey rubber contact pad. the black plastic cover is heat staked in place making it hard to clean the contact.

My solution .... with a knife or small screwdriver raise the grey rubber off the circuit board...do this away from where it is heat staked. Spray contact cleaner in the gap.

Do this in several places.

I then take a piece of typing paper, copy paper would be the same, and cut a strip about 3/8 inch wide. Slide the paper between the circuit board and the grey rubber.

The paper should get damp with the contact cleaner...if not add more cleaner.

Position the paper under a button...push on the button with your finger and pull the paper...this will wipe the contact.

Repeat the process on each button.

When finished, remove excess contact cleaner with a paper towel. Reassemble and your problem should be solved.

Guest jcrules78

Thanks guys. Hey DShip which area is the relay located and what is it labeled? I looked in all three relay/fuse areas and couldn't find anything related to ECC. Just HVAC and A/C.

Thanks,

JCRULZ

The relay center on the 92 Riv is located forward of the air filter housing - driver's side (same location on your Reatta?). The relay's I wanted to check first were the A/C compressor control (relay J), puller fan (relays C & G) and pusher fan (relay D); check the ECC second; and then PCM & BCM third....didn't have to beyond second step.

Dave

Guest jcrules78

CRAZY ELECTRONICS!! I got in my car today and drove it and after a while the heater blower kicked back on. Totally strange! I must have a loose connection or a raw wire somewhere that is being affected. I love all the awesome space-age options, but when they break, it sure sucks!!!

JCRULZ

Happened to me 3 or 4 years ago ('91 convertible). It acted just the way you describe yours. Replaced it with a new one for around $250 from reattaparts (from here on the board somewhere). If you need the source, PM me and I'll go out to my garage and pull the box it came in. I put the old one in it just in case. I believe. Looks like the problem was my using too much protectant when I dressed the dash. If you're planning to keep the car, suggest you go ahead an buy a new one and keep it until yours dies.

Guest jcrules78

Thanks for the suggestions guys. One thing I have kept in the back of my mind is that the problem could possibly be the blower fan as well. The guy who owned it before must have kept the car stored outside, because when I first started using the heat, I heard a lot of debris getting chopped up by the fan. Also, my blower fan sounds like a friggin foghorn when it is on full blast, which I don't believe is useful. Since I haven't really addressed the debris issue, I wonder if the blower fan/engine is getting beat trying to work under difficult conditions. I haven't heard debris noise for quite a while coming from the blower area, but who knows what might still be there binding things up.

JCRULZ