NTK O2 sensors

padgett

With AC outsourcing to Bosch for Oxygen (O2) sensors, I am looking at alternatives. Tried two Boschs, did not last long and was suggested the NTK 21002. Are they any good ? They seem inexpensive on-line.

Guest Mike_s

How are Bosch's failing, any chance of carbon fouling?

I have't tried NTK's, but I'd consider giving them a try.

According to the Summit Racing site,

"NTK is the world's leading supplier of OEM oxygen sensors"

From the LS1tech site,

" I also read that someone found out at a SEMA show that NGK makes both Denso and AC O2's....."

And I've also read that Walker has also made o2 sensors for GM

Not sure, just after a few months with a Bosch, MPG would start dropping off. New sensor and came right back. AC's last a long time but should be changed with plugs.

That NTK (NGK) is world's largest does not mean they are good, just that they are good enough for OEM and were the lowest bidder.

Thought AC outsourced to Bosch but then AC has tried outsourcing in past and come back to the original.

O2 sensor is really a switch. See http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm for more than you ever wanted to know.

Still does not answer my original question - are NTK Oxygen sensors any good ? Do they last as long as ACs ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O2 sensor is really a switch. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOW AN OXYGEN SENSOR WORKS

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The O2 sensor works like a miniature generator and produces its own voltage when it gets hot. </span>Inside the vented cover on the end of the sensor that screws into the exhaust manifold is a zirconium ceramic bulb. The bulb is coated on the outside with a porous layer of platinum. Inside the bulb are two strips of platinum that serve as electrodes or contacts.</div></div>

The O2 sensor is not just a switch. Switches do not generate voltage. The O2 sensor has contacts but the the fluctuating voltage input is what the ECU uses to help calculate the correct fuel mixture. The contacts probably do not close and allow the voltage to reach the ECU until the O2 sensor is hot enough to provide a voltage in the range the ECU can use.

I noticed improvement in mileage and then a drop off with the sensor in my 88. How do you (Padgett )decide to use a new one? The readings in mine are from 0.08 to 0.80 and constantly changing. From that I would conclude it is working. I put in one and within a week it was not working. I knew it from looking at the instant readout of mpg and then the O2 display. It was reading 1.0 all the time. I went from getting over 30 mpg in December to around 20 again now.

Guest Kitskaboodle

I've heard that NTK sensors are "ok".

Other than that I dont have much info on them.

On another note....there are quite a few Fiero guys like myself that run Denso 02 sensors. I run them on both of my V6 Fiero's.

At Rockauto.com I checked for a Denso for my 90 Reatta:

only $13.51 (p/n 2341001) smile.gif

This is what I am running om my 90 now......

I heard Delphi is another good one but havent tried them myself.

Kit 85 Fiero GT / 86 Fiero GT / 90 Reatta

Rockauto.com is great. Easiest online catalog to navigate and rock bottom prices. One has to take in consideration the low price vs shipping weight cost. For a brake job the brake pads will be a great value but the rotors would be better off bought locally.