200 MPH speedometer on 58 Plymouth Fury - NEW PICS ADDED?

ACME Garage

I have just found (and purchased) a pretty rough project; 1958 Fury. The metal is in good shape with very little rust (in 58 Fury terms). The previous owner does not know much about it other than it had the big engine with 2 four barrel carbs and was built for the government (sounded fishy to me), but I bought the car regardless because it was in good shape to restore. When I looked at the dash, I was amazed to see a 200 MPH speedometer, and it doesn't mention Kilometers anywhere. After a little research I found that USA and Canada didn't convert to metric until 1976... The VIN on this car starts with LP276xxx and is a detriot car.

Has anyone ever seen one of these ?

Thanks for any info

Mike@logic2.com

200speedo.jpg

200speedo1.jpg

200speedo2.jpg

200.jpg

To qualify a car for the racing circut, didn't they have to produce a certian amount of engines, parts??? Perhaps for a pace car? I have a 1957 wagon out back. I'll have to take a look at the speedo. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Logic2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks !

Is there any documentation on the golden commando options ?

I cant seem to find (any) documentation on the 200 mph speedo or golden commando options.

Books, website, etc...

Thanks for your information do far...

Regards

Mike </div></div>

Cool find.

This is it.

'58 Plymouth Options

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Logic2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still looking for any documentation on a 200 MPH speedo. </div></div>

A good place to start is at the AACA Library and Research Center. Members get some free research, I am not sure how much but some free is better than none free, right? laugh.gif The added bonus is that documentation that comes from the L&R C is accepted by judging teams. There is a nominal cost for copies and mailing them to you.

I looked yesterday at the old 1957 Pymouth Wagon, and the speedo only goes to 120 MPH. I did not notice if it has a clock or not. Will look again. The wagon is ruff and is a parts car. Need somthing? Send a PM and I'll look to see if it has what you want. cool.gif Dandy Dave!

Did Chrysler have an export office like GMOO ? Back in the day a serviceman stationed overseas could order an American car to be shipped to them on station. There were also a number used by the military at consulates and on bases (though doubt that many were ordered with dual quads).

However when a serviceman returned, a car was often part of their "household goods" - quite a few interesting cars came to the US that way. I suspect that it is calibrated in KM - should be easy enough to test.

It would seem obvious that the speedometer is calibrated in Kms rather tham miles. 200 km is 120 mph

Back in the 30's Pontiacs like mine had a speedometer in Kilometers when sold in Europe so why would we find this surprising in the 60's.

• 1 year later...

I have a '58 Cadillac speedo that reads to '200'.

Have seen pics of 2 different DeSoto speedos to '200' also.

I would agree that this is KPH, but now am wondering : if this is a real Fury, it 'should' have the KPH equivalent to 150 MPH... but maybe that just wouldn't fit the dial (it would be 240 KPH). ;)

I feel sure the speedometer is in kilometers so I guess it is an export car. I ran up on a 1937 Terraplane several years ago that had a speedometer marked in kilometers. Later on that day it dawned on me why the speedometer was marked so optimistically. As for the 361 engine it came out in 1959. The top engine in 1958 was the 350-V-8; 305 hp with 2 4-barrels or 315 with fuel injection. Most of the fuel injection cars were recalled and converted to the 2 4-barrels.

Remembered seeing a picture on Paul Hartlieb's 1962 Oldsmobile website, of a '62 Super 88 Holiday Coupe located in France; if you scroll down to the third picture, you'll see a good shot of the 200 km/h speedometer. From what I remember reading in the appendix to "Setting The Pace", the best book on the history of Oldsmobile written by the late Helen Jones Earley, and James Walkinshaw, there were 17 such '62 Oldsmobiles so equipped.

Stephane Niceron's '62 Super 88 Holiday coupe

That doctor in Nice must have been pretty wealthy to run a '62 Super 88 in France. My uncle had a black 2 door hardtop from 1963-1971. It couldn't make a round trip from Portland to Boston on one tank of gas which is about 215 miles. A 20 gallon tank at 10 mpg doesn't go that far. I remember when he bought it, my parents thought he was crazy because it cost $10 a week for gas when they were using $3 a week. It was a nice car but it could be a handful. I got to drive it some as a teenager.

Well, I appreciate the confirmation that the 10 mph I get in my '62 Starfire is about all I'm gonna get; that seems to be the magic number I hear from some other folks who drive a car like mine.

Back to the speedometers that read "200", Oldsmobile did in fact make a handful (I heard the number six being bandied about) of '72 Indy Pace Cars with an actual 200 mph (not km/h) speedometer; I took a picture of one in Lansing many years back, would have to search to find it.