1958 Fury with a 200 mph speedo - need info.

ACME Garage

I have just found (and purchased) a pretty rough project; 1958 Fury. The metal is in good shape with very little rust (in 58 Fury terms). The previous owner does not know much about it other than it had the big engine with 2 four barrel carbs and was built for the government (sounded fishy to me), but I bought the car regardless because it was in good shape to restore. When I looked at the dash, I was amazed to see a 200 MPH speedometer, and it doesn't mention Kilometers anywhere. After a little research I found that USA and Canada didn't convert to metric until 1976... The VIN on this car starts with LP276xxx and is a detriot car.

200.jpg

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a 200 mph speedo ?

What were they used for ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Mike@logic2.com

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I am in the process of restoring the frame and while trying to figure out ehr diff ratio, I spun the wheel 1 revolution (it's a sure grip so both wheels spun), anyway... with one revolution of the wheel, the differential yoke spun 2.1 times. This was re-checked twice and on each wheel.

Id this really a 2.10 diff ? Note, it also has factory block-off plates (rusted on bottom and never removed) on the defrost, heater, and AC holes.

This question has been posted several times lately. It seems it has been answered earlier by a few people. I, for one posted a link on an earlier thread to pictures of Europian cars with this speedometer still in the car and a historical artical about import Chryslers. If you did not see it, please go back to the earlier threads. Very interesting reading.

Police speedos were specially marked as such. They were a special instrument, more accurate than a standard speedo.

As far as the speed goes, I believe police speedos were 120 or 125 MPH at that time. In the 60s they went to 150 or 160.

I guess in 1957 if they clocked you over 120 they just threw the whole book at you LOL.

If it had 2-4's, heater delete, etc. it may have been built for racing. Or maybe just a guy who liked to go fast.

It is possible the factory installed a kilometer speedo but geared it to read MPH speeds. In those days the Plymouth factory would build special orders that were not in the catalog.

Thanks for the feedback.

I contacted Chrysler Historical and requested a build sheet and was informed that they DO HAVE IT. They asked for $45 and proof of ownership, etc... and they would send me a copy. It should be here within a week or two. They informed me that it

is a Detroit car, but the rest would have to be decoded.

More puzzling than the speedo is the factory block-off plates on defroster & heater and the 2.10 Diff.

Thanks

Mike

Guest imported_Bill-W

I suspect your speedo is in kilometres. The Detroit factory built Plymouths for export to many parts of the world - Mexico, Cuba, etc.

The non-heater situation is not unusual as heaters did not become standard equipment until 1965. Thus your car is not heater-delete, but instead not equipped with the optional heater/defroster.

And a car built for Mexico or Cuba likely would not have a heater. It probably was not built built for the U.S. government, but it may have been built for a person working for the U.S. government stationed in a country such as Mexico or Cuba.

Your build record should clarify both situations.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

Guest imported_Bill-W

Forgot to mention Canada did not go metric until 1978, although Chrysler Canada went metric for the 1977 model year.

The U.S., though, has not officially gone metric. Speed limits and distances are still in miles, gasoline and other liquids are sold in ounces, pints, quarts, gallons, and solid items are weighed in ounces and pounds. Many U.S. manufacturers have gone metric as the rest of the world is metric.

Bill

Vancouver, BC