GIRLS ON BUICKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

C00805.jpg

I really love these casual, vintage photos. A tiny slice of a time gone by, often forgotten by the subjects, but brought back to life through the magic of the digital world.

Wonder who the driver was? Like with myself, the photographer is behind the camera, and is rarely pictured.

Forgive my mental meanderings, please. Must be going crazy, or something.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

That's the beauty of Kodachrome, the colours keep, as long its' kept dark, and of course dry. Once in the 90's had the privilege to reproduce some of the earliest Kodachromes from the 30's for a client, and the colours were as good as the day they were processed. Such a treasure years later.

Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Yes, I agree about the durability of Kodachrome slides. I also have several from the early-mid 1940's and the colors are still very vibrant.

Ecktachrome slides, on the other hand, color shifts pretty badly. The majority of those that I own are faded and yellowed. I have had about a 30-40% success rate color correcting E-chrome slide images.

46 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

I really love these casual, vintage photos. A tiny slice of a time gone by, often forgotten by the subjects, but brought back to life through the magic of the digital world.

Wonder who the driver was? Like with myself, the photographer is behind the camera, and is rarely pictured.

Keith

Quarantine?

2 hours ago, NC1968Riviera said:

Yes, I agree about the durability of Kodachrome slides. I also have several from the early-mid 1940's and the colors are still very vibrant.

Ecktachrome slides, on the other hand, color shifts pretty badly. The majority of those that I own are faded and yellowed. I have had about a 30-40% success rate color correcting E-chrome slide images.

Yes, the old Ektachrome looked alright when new, but it faded badly, In the 80's, pre Photoshop I developed some techniques to restore the colour of old Ektachromes. Time consuming and expensive, but we did have a market, till the digital revolution and I could do in 5 mins what it took all day to do with film!

Keith

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Most likely. Cheap gas, but no where much to go. Love to be roaring around all over the place the Electra.

Some drives, but it kind of looses something when you can't stop in for a coffee or ice cream somewhere.

Keith 

Ke= Keep

I = Buick

th= Faith 

that would be your name acronyms for today.

Stay Safe

6B864FC8-21AE-4A9A-A094-DAEFE8A980A2.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elpad said:

Jap work camp related?

B274436B-5C14-415D-9518-B761456D6FEF.jpeg

There were Internment Camps to detain Japanese-Americans in Arkansas (Arkansas 1944 License Plate on this Buick).

Two camps were selected and built in the Arkansas Delta, one at Rohwer in Desha County and the other at Jerome in sections of Chicot and Drew counties. Operating from October 1942 to November 1945, both camps eventually incarcerated nearly 16,000 Japanese Americans.

Many states did not produce new license plates due to wartime metal shortages. Louisiana had their 1944 plates made of Bagass - a cardboard-type material made from sugar cane

While this Buick displays a 1944 plate, could this actually be in 1945, after the end of WWII in the Pacific, and the young lady and child be heading back to freedom?

• Like 3

On 4/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, Buicknutty said:

Keith

These are my favorites as well Keith.  Some say there are a thousand words in these photos and you've just barely scratched the surface.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

There were Internment Camps to detain Japanese-Americans in Arkansas (Arkansas 1944 License Plate on this Buick).

Two camps were selected and built in the Arkansas Delta, one at Rohwer in Desha County and the other at Jerome in sections of Chicot and Drew counties. Operating from October 1942 to November 1945, both camps eventually incarcerated nearly 16,000 Japanese Americans.

Many states did not produce new license plates due to wartime metal shortages. Louisiana had their 1944 plates made of Bagass - a cardboard-type material made from sugar cane

While this Buick displays a 1944 plate, could this actually be in 1945, after the end of WWII in the Pacific, and the young lady and child be heading back to freedom?

Little known is that Italians and Germans were also detained.  As for "heading back to freedom", my uncle, his parents and brother were deported back to Germany after the war without passports, birth certs or other documentation.  

Note the stockings on the young lady.  They were a rare luxury, yet she has a pair.

4 hours ago, kgreen said:

Note the stockings on the young lady.  They were a rare luxury, yet she has a pair.

I did not notice that. My Mom would be 105 if she was still with us, and I remember her talking about how difficult it was getting stockings in those years, and then the joy when she did!

Kind of goes against the thought that this young woman was leaving an interment camp, as I wouldn't think they would have luxuries like that. Freedom would of been the biggest luxury.

We did the same thing to the Japanese here in Canada during those years as well.

Keith

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Second sentence in your wikipedia link. " ... a derogatory term... "

Not only to me. I'm sure that's what a whole lot of people thought. There is a delete function in the options link if you edit your post.

it’s a term of the period of that picture, that time , I’m sure Al meant nothing racial or derogatory. Right mi asere Al ?  @Elpad

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

it’s a term of the period of that picture, that time , I’m sure Al meant nothing racial or derogatory. Right mi asere Al ?  @Elpad

If the reference had of been made in the 1940's about a member of the Japanese Imperial forces, it might have been period correct. But this is 2020. I'll bet whatever amount that the young lady was an American at the time. She may be of Japanese decent but she's still an American.  If you're not full blooded Native American, you also have ancestors who at one time were "foreigners."  I'll accept a slur only when it's quoted as a part of literature from the time period.  But today it's unacceptable.  Today, no matter what the context, it is still a racial slur.

• Like 2

All I’m saying is, coming from my Cuban immigrant friend Al, I’m pretty sure  he meant nothing derogatory or racial. Certainly nothing to warrant his going back and deleting or even all this discussion in my opinion.  I know him and his family well,  enough to back him on that. But read into it whatever you wish,  I’m just a Georgia Cracker,  what do I know about being wrongly accused of being racist. and that’s all I’ve got to say about that 😊

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Look, I was just abbreviating the word Japanese. No racial or derogatory comment intended. Went to school with few Japanese descendants friends from Tuskegee, Alabama. I’m Also  a minority with a Spanish American roots, I have been called “Spic” which in fact is offensive to whoever takes it that way. Not me, I’m easy. Sorry, I’m not deleting the post since no harm was intended unless Moderators think otherwise then I will be fine with that too. BTW, Happy Easter everybody!

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

All I’m saying is, coming from my Cuban immigrant friend Al, I’m pretty sure  he meant nothing derogatory or racial. Certainly nothing to warrant his going back and deleting or even all this discussion in my opinion.  I know him and his family well,  enough to back him on that. But read into it whatever you wish,  I’m just a Georgia Cracker,  what do I know about being wrongly accused of being racist. and that’s all I’ve got to say about that 😊

Lamar,

Out of curiosity, do you even know the origin of the word "cracker" when applied to a person?  I'm satisfied that your buddy meant no harm. So that's forgotten. Back to "cracker."  No Googling.  🙄  Who were the Atlanta Black Crackers?  Again, no Googling.  

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

2CADD980-AF81-45B1-9B7B-E936856E8819.thu

"If only he was half as quick with the bumper jack as he is with that damn camera..."

OK-

When I say "3",

Let's both Lift,

and you hold it while I stick the suitcase under the bumper

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kgreen said:

B08766.jpg

... and if you had one of those new wind-up movie cameras,

you could really keep my Hula-Hula-

Hurry up and take the gosh darn picture already,

the cobblestone bricks hurt my feet,

and this grass skirt is itchy !

Let's see you wear this thing, and I'll take the &$%#@* picture !!

Oh, and I'm driving the '38 Buick back home  --  you can walk, for all I care !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

2girls.jpg.1cd4d9ae68e47208a86729e5df02480c.jpg

What was Mommy doing?

She was reading the BURMA SHAVE signs while she was lighting her Chesterfield,

and tuning the radio to tune in Walter Winchell.

I think he was saying;

"Good Evening Mr & Mrs America, and all the ships at sea",

... and then the squirrel ran out in front of us,

and Mommy said a BAAAD WORD,

and she told us not to tell Daddy there is a new scratch on his new Buick

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 6:43 PM, MrEarl said:

2CADD980-AF81-45B1-9B7B-E936856E8819.thumb.jpeg.e255e1e68d849bf0d23eea10529f4ac4.jpeg

Look it Betty, I don't care if your father DID teach you how to do this!  You'd better play dumb about this  or that husband of yours will expect you to change the oil too!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

and she told us not to tell Daddy there is a new scratch on his new Buick

Haha -- but I'm afraid Daddy's "new" Buick wasn't that new.  Look at the spare tire well -- it's rusted right through at the bottom!

I love the expression on the little girl on the right.  She looks like she's saying, "Not me, I didn't do anything."  Maybe she's the cause of it all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

What a shot! Love the speculation, but it just gets me wondering what the real story was? That was a nice Buick, but perhaps not so much anymore.

Keith

Seeing the Fire Department hose in the foreground behind the girls, and spraying from the left edge indicates there is a Washdown in progress -

Likely Gas,

but maybe also oil and possibly, but less likely antifreeze, since back then most would drain it in spring and run plain water until late autumn/winter