GIRLS ON BUICKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

17 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

No doubt this here is one of our all time favorites.

From the annual Gatsby Summer Afternoon by the Art Deco Society of California on the grounds of the 1899 Dunsmuir House mansion in Oakland, CA.  The ladies are the DecoBelles, some of whom have been doing this for 30 years but there are younger ones too.  The event is held 12:00 to 5:00 PM on the Sunday after Labor Day.  I've been participating in this for over 20 years.  Discounted admission if you bring a 1918-1942 automobile (earlier is OK).  Dress of the period (loosely enforced) required but no jeans or shorts, and picnic items must be of the period (no plastic water bottles) and if you bring a modern cooler hide it under a blanket.

See http://artdecosociety.squarespace.com/adsc-events/2016/9/11/gatsby-summer-afternoon  and click on links to photos from other years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clear photo.  I am restoring a 1915 McLaughlin and my rear window is an oval but now I see it is an oval with diamonds.  I thought McLaughlin discounted the diamonds in 1913.  Love the look.  Your great uncles car looks like mine except mine still has the two man top.  Also McLaughlin had nickel plated headlamps not just the rims as Buick used.  Any more photos would be appreciated.  Gay Van Dyken

4 minutes ago, cxgvd said:

Any more photos would be appreciated.  Gay Van Dyken

That's the best one I have.I posted this and one other in General- PreWW11 photos. Jim

4 minutes ago, cxgvd said:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2017 at 11:18 AM, RivNut said:

I'm betting that she drove it just fine with no power steering or power brakes.  She could probably back up without the need for a backup camera as well.

It also appears entirely possible that she was born before the American Civil War.  From buckboards to Buick's is quite a transformation.

• Like 1

F8341A9C-515D-47C8-A829-319C9AE71695.jpe

When I was a kid and at the point where my fantasies were changing topic, a family moved into my Great Uncle's apartment house next to the general store in Clarkson, New York. They came up from West Virginia in an International alligator nose International woody. The wife's name was Virginia and must have been around 30 at the time.

Now what jogged that old thought.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...