GIRLS ON BUICKS

Guest imported_MrEarl

I'm curious about this picture of the '38. The quality of the photo looks really good for 1938 film. Can anyone identify the plaque above the from license plate? I'm wondering if this is not a staged picture taken recently. Even if it is, it's worth a second (or third) look.

Ed

The photo is from a cover of the 1937 1938 Buick Club's Tourque Tube bymonthly magazine. I have the magazine somewhere and remember that the issue was around 1998 or so. (The Club is now defunct and replaced with the 1936-1938 Buick Club) It was taken at The Gatsby Picinic in Okland CA. by Harry Logan who was the editor of the magazine at the time and a fellow BCA member. The picinic is a yearly event held on the second Sunday of September at The Dunsmuir Estate and sponsored by the Art Deco Society Of California. The girls on the Buick are a dance act known as "The Deco Belles". They perform at the event every year. The picnic brings in several hundred participates and many antique automobiles that must be no later than 1941.

The "Deco Belles" also hold a "beauty contest" during the event when one is chosen as "Miss Art Deco" for a year.

Hopes this helps clear up the mystery of the photo.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ain't the internet wonderful?  I "Googled" Gatsby Picnic / Decobelles / Buick and came up with this shot.

attachicon.gifDecobelles Buick.jpg

I have an association with this Buick.

The Buick in the picture is owned by Mr.Richard Fishman of Oakland. I bought my 1938 Buick from him ten years ago.

He is an Art Deco dealer in Oakland and San Francisco, CA.

Every Buick he has owned he has restored. This 39 is one of those fine examples.

Mr. Earl, post 1222, 

Bloomington, Il is my home.  After High School I dated the granddaughter of the founder of State Farm.  I had a new 57 Vette, and she had a new 57 T-bird.  Mine was Black, her's Red.

Several of my family have worked for State Farm, also the home I was raised in was a block from the original Steak N Shake, it was in Normal, Il, which is a twin city to Bloomington.  I could look out my bedroom window and see Steak N Shake.  I met my bride while cruising thru the Steak N Shake curb service lot.  I was driving a 54 scalloped Century HT.  That was in late 1958.

My father sold new Buick's to both founders of these companies.  

I have one of those lic. tags myself,

Dale in Indy

P.S. I also have a collection of original Steak N Shake dishes/glasses, etc.  I also have one of the first car door trays used in the curb service lot.  My wife's Grandmother was the Steak N Shake girl Friday, she started the curb service in 1940.  They were called CAR HOPS, because they would run out and HOP on the running board of cars coming in, thus hoping to get a tip after service..

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)

[quote name="JohnD1956"

Too bad no one thought to get rid of the plastic bag with the white napkins in it before taking the photo.

That is "Miss Art Deco's " white roses. She's the one with the crown and sitting on the middle of the bumper.

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

for instance this is how you show up with a newly acquired Roadmaster....

How'd you get those pots to stay on the trailer fender as you brought it home? Or was it a local car that you didn't have to drive on high speed routes to get it home?

LOL...local '54 that isn't already at Buick Gardens...ROFLMAO.

Edited by Thriller (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm figuring that the bride looks to be in her early 20's. Say she is 20, that car was built 62 years before she was born.  How many of us can say that there was any kind of motor carriage built 62 years before we were born?

Lovely bride, lovely couple, lovely car.  Good choices all around.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...