Turns over but won't fire

Guest 69judge

Guest 69judge

My 90 starts fine when cold,but will stop running sometimes when warm up.Then you have to wait until it cools down(enters close loop)to start.It will turn over when hot,but will not fire.I have pushed lightly on the valve located on the fuel rail and have plenty of fuel pressure.Also both codes e021 and e022 show up when this happens. Any ideas?thanks..Daryl

Guest craig hewitt

same thing on my car had 15 pounds pressure needs 40 to 45 put a gauge on it.and install a fuel pump use oem with new strainer

Sounds more like an ICM issue to me - do you have a Magnavox or Delco ?

While cranking, does the tach register anything ?

Place to begin is the "cranks but does not run" section in the FSM but I'd correct that TPS problem first. If it thinks it is at WOT while cranking, the ECM could think it is flooded and cut off the fuel.

Guest jcc3inc

I've had a couple of instances with not starting or quitting when hot, one with a '97 LeSabre and the other with my '91 Reatta. It turned out to be the crank position sensor; they drop out when hot. If you wait for the engine to cool a bit, it starts and runs well.

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest 69judge

Thanks for your ideas.Here's more details of the problem,the car always starts when cold or warm (2 or 3 marks on the temp gauge).When it's 4 marks or hotter the problem starts, sometimes!Other times it will run fine for days. According to the Buick Reatta Manual,it tells you if the problems are intermitent not to pay attention to the codes.The problem is almost always in the grounding or circuits.With a 20 year old car that can be a real problem.

About a month ago I found the wires leading to

the Crank Position Sensor had some of the plastic insulation cracked and missing,they appeared to shorting out.I repaired them and the car ran fine for about 3 weeks.Now it's doing the same thing it did a month ago.

The hard part of this problem,is unless you test the sensors when the car is hot and won't start,they all check out fine.I'm going to take my meters and spark tester with me for a test ride and check things out.I'll let you know what I find,thanks again...Daryl

First thing I'd do is to fix the TPS issue (21 and 22 are both TPS related). Put a DVM on the center lead and monitor when it is not starting (or turn to run and use the diagnostics).

Also take a 7mm socket on a 1/4" rachet and R&R the ICM connector, you may have a resistive connection. At least that is easy and cheap.

ps sorry I forgot the display goes blank while cranking so cannot watch the tach, was thinking of my other cars.

Padgett is a little quicker then most of us.

The ICM is located uder the coil pak. One of the first questions he asked is"Is it a magnavox or Delco coil"? Translated that means "Do you have the square [Magnavox]coils or have you upgraded to the round [Delco] coils"? If you are having ignition problems, one of the easiest swap is the ICM/Coil Pak. Padgett learned and passed on to us that an ICM/Coil Pak that fits a 1992 3.8 Pontiac Transport works in the Reatta. You can either get one new or buy used at your local salvage yard. Used will save you about $250.00. Just tell them you want a ICM/Coil Pak for a 1992 3.8 Pontiac Transport and they will get you one. This setup was used by GM up to at least 2002, so you should get a setup less then 10 years old.

It is a simple 20 minute swap out with one nut taking 10 minutes to do...

Guest jamhudson

1990 Buick Reatta 3.8L 231CI V6 FI VIN: C

Advance has both types listed for Reatta

BWD Ignition Module/Control Unit

Part No. CBE47Z

OE Style; Delco

$129.49

BWD Ignition Module/Control Unit

Part No. CBE107Z

OE Style; Magnavox

$90.99

That is just the ICM. I really believe the Delco is a better unit & is usually $20-$40 at a yard. This gives you the ICM, the three individually replaceable coils, the base plate , and the mounting hardware, everything needed for a changeover. It is also on just about every 3800 from 1991 (Reatta) to 200? when they began the coil-on-plug system so are plentiful. Only caveat is not to get one for a 3.3, the ICM keying and electronics are different.

ps BOTH -21 and -22 code ? At the same time ? Current © or history (h)? - one is a high reading and the other is a low reading so unlikely together.

Guest jamhudson

This product fits the following vehicles

BUICK

1993 CENTURY

1990 - 2003 REGAL

1990 ELECTRA

1991 - 1993 RIVIERA

1990 - 2003 LESABRE

1995 - 1999 RIVIERA

1991 - 2003 PARK AVENUE

1993 SKYLARK

1990 - 1991 REATTA

CHEVROLET

1995 - 2002 CAMARO

1992 - 1995 LUMINA APV

2000 - 2003 IMPALA

1998 - 2003 MONTE CARLO

1998 - 1999 LUMINA

OLDSMOBILE

1992 - 1996 98

1998 - 1999 INTRIGUE

1993 ACHIEVA

1992 - 1995 SILHOUETTE

1993 CUTLASS CIERA

1991 - 1992 TORONADO

1992 - 1999 DELTA 88

PONTIAC

1992 - 2003 BONNEVILLE

1997 - 2003 GRAND PRIX

1995 - 2002 FIREBIRD

1992 - 1995 TRANS SPORT

1993 GRAND AM

Guest 69judge

Padgett the tps codes come up after the engine stalls out,and show as history.The car has the Magnavox coils,I replaced the coils with after market parts from Autozone two and half years ago.The Reatta wouldn't start at all back then.I think I'll switch to the Delco module and coils after reading everbodys comments,and I'll let you know what happens.....Daryl

The Reatta at 20 years old are at what I would think are the life expctancy of the ICN/Coil Pak life expectancy. The advatage of the Delco upgrade is the east low cost availability of used parts and the fact that now if one coil goes bad you can just replace it.

Typically the early warning of impeding failure, is green gunk coming off the ICM onto the radiator hose. When you see that, call your local salvage yard, as you are now on borrowed time...

• 5 years later...
Guest landtortise

I know this is an ancient thread but i found it thru a google search and you guys seemed knowledgable so I thought id post. So I have 91 park ave with a similar issue. I changed the ICM (magnavox unit) with a new one and the car fired right up and ran great. Shut it off and went to restart it and nothing just cranks. So I let it sit and went out the next morning and still just cranks. I wiggled the wires to the ICM and it fired right up again. Shut it off again and now no start condition tried wiggling the wires again didn't work this time. Thinking of changing the Crank Sensor but Don't know if that is gonna help. Padgett mentioned a resistive connection above could he please elaborate? Also any other thoughts would be great.

thanks

Welcome to the forum landtortise! When the engine will not run you should immediately check for two things. Spark and Fuel. It takes both for the engine to start.

Pull a spark plug wire off the coil and hold it near where it connects to the coil. While an assistant tries to start the engine watch for a strong white/blue spark to jump from the coil to the wire you are holding about 3/8" away. Does that happen? If the answer is NO you could have a bad connection to the ICM bad CPS or another bad ICM.

IF you had a good spark and the engine still won't run you need to check for fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge or pour about an ounce of gas into the intake to see if the engine tries to start.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

"I changed the ICM (magnavox unit) with a new one" Well that was your first mistake however I have seen this moderately often. Fires once, vibrates so the connector moves a little bit and disconnects. never runs again. The IPM pins are quite short and the foam pad in the connector gets hard with age. I remove the pad and push the connector on from the ends, I do not rely on the screw to pull it in.

If that is not it, check the shrader on the fuel rail for pressure. No pressure no fuel.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest landtortise

thanks padgett I'll give that a try I seem to have plenty of fuel pressure when I press the schrader valve. I bought the car 2 weeks ago as a non runner with no spark so I am chasing an old problem. If you have any other thoughts go ahead and post them up.

You can't judge the fuel rail pressure visually from the schrader valve. You have to put a gauge on it. 15PSI will seem like a lot when releasing the schrader but will result in no start conditions. The rail should build to 40-45PSI and HOLD that once the engine is killed for more than a few seconds. The longer it holds the better. After I finally chased my demon down to the the pulsator allowing a leak down, mine now holds 42PSI or so for days on end. Now I do have a new pump, new pulsator, new fuel filter, refurbed injectors and a new fuel rail regulator, so with older parts, yours may not hold near as long, but it should hold for at least a few minutes.

Padgett, I am going to investigate the ICM connector on mine as a potential point of my intermittent E041 (cam sensor). I have noticed that it sets more often than not during a turn, but not always and sometimes while running straight ahead under constant engine RPM. As I replace my ICM several months ago, this is something I need to investigate.

thanks padgett I'll give that a try I seem to have plenty of fuel pressure when I press the schrader valve. I bought the car 2 weeks ago as a non runner with no spark so I am chasing an old problem. If you have any other thoughts go ahead and post them up.
I guess my previous post must have been too complicated. I apologize for that. I'm happy to see that Padgett spotted my mistake and was able to express what I was thinking in a way that was easier to understand.

Guest landtortise

ok i ran home at lunch and checked my connector there was no foam piece to remove however i did pull a small piece of rubber out of the back of the icm side. hooked everything back up and still nothing I am pretty sure it's a no spark issue could a bad cranks sensor be eating up modules? the funny thing is last night after i installed the new module it fired right up i ran it for a good 10-15 minutes. I shut it off and imediately tried to restart. and nothing just cranks over. and over the weekend when i put on the jy module it fired right up ran for a minute and then died and wouldn't restart till i put the new module on it yesterday.

Guest landtortise

yes it has fuel I personally put 5 gallons in it myself. I just had another thought could the ignition switch be my culprit? It would shut power off to everything.

Guessing and swapping parts seldom pays off in the long run. Some logical, step by step, hands on testing is what is needed to find your problem. First thing you should do is verify that you have a spark while you are cranking the engine or you don't. Do you have spark or don't you?

Wasn't there a test measuring fuel pump voltage while cranking to test for a bad CPS? (crankshaft position sensor, not central power supply).

As an aside, ahem, is there FUEL in the tank?

Yes, I was the one that posted that originally. As the green fuel pump connector is connected directly to the fuel pump relay output, AND that the fuel pump relay will NOT be activated by the ECM UNLESS it receives valid crankshaft sensor inputs, if green fuel pump connector goes to +12 while you crank the engine, that pretty well vindicates the crank sensor the ECM and the fuel pump relay

Guest landtortise

Ronnie thanks for the link ran thru the tests last night and it appears that I need a crank sensor. I never did get the light to flash when rolling it over. I didn't have access to an led light like in the link so I used a 194 marker light socket and bulb and some aligator clips. I'll be changing the cranks sensor tomorrow and will let you know id it gets me back in business. Anyone have any secrets or tips on that job?

There is a "How to" on Crank Sensors on Ronnie's website. You might want to get a familiar with it. Most of us who have owned a Reatta for any length of time have either contributed to it to help others to used it to do repairs.

Best "How to" on any website!

Thanks Ronnie!

Wasn't there a test measuring fuel pump voltage while cranking to test for a bad CPS? (crankshaft position sensor, not central power supply).

As an aside, ahem, is there FUEL in the tank?

Not sure what happened to my response to this from yesterday. Regardless, yes, I originally posted that after studying the schematics and how the systems interrelated operationally. (UPDATE! on posting this, my post from yesterday appeared. not sure what was happening)

If you monitor the green fuel pump connector (test connector that allows the fuel pump to be powered directly from an external 12 source) you can indeed determine if the CPS, and the associated ICM/ECM circuits along with the fuel pump relay are operating properly. If there is a fault in any of the associated circuits of the CPS, ICM, ECM items or the fuel pump relay itself, the green fuel pump wire will NOT go to +12V immediately upon cranking. It only takes 1/3 of a rotation of the crank itself for the fuel pump relay to be actuated, assuming everything is working properly. As there is an oil pressure controlled, purely mechanical backup switch that also powers the fuel pump, you can disconnect the oil pressure sender located at the top of the oil filter to prevent mistaking this as an indication of proper CPS/ICM/ECM/Fuel Pump relay operation, BUT the oil pressure backup power will be delayed in time until there is sufficient oil pressure (a second or two normally). If the CPS/ICM/ECM/fuel pump relay are all working properly, the green fuel pump connector will switch to +12V INSTANTLY on cranking, so if you have a sharp eye on your DVM, you can detect the difference between the two and NOT have to pull the oil pressure sender connector.

This is a much easier test than trying to directly test the CPS. If the green fuel pump wire does NOT switch instantly to +12V when cranking, then more troubleshooting is in order, but if it does you can pretty much take it to the bank that the CPS as well as the associated circuits in the ICM and ECM are working along with the fuel pump relay. It needs to be stated, that there can be OTHER failure modes in the ICM and ECM that prevent the engine from cranking, so this test is NOT an exhaustive test of either.

As has been stated numerous times, that damned fuel pump relay is the most common failure point in the chain. I have personally had it fail several times over the 25 years of ownership. After the first one failed on mine, I started carrying a spare relay.

Guest landtortise

Well I pulled it apart to and I figured out why I got it to start when I played with the wires the old crank sensor was broke and I musta got it in the right spot. So how do I get it lined up to avoid breaking the crank sensor again already broke one new one I put it on and put the balancer back on and heard a snap oops. Good thing they are cheap huh?

Guest landtortise

so I changed the crank sensor yesterday didn't break it this time and I still don't have a signal from it. also i still don't have spark. im lost!!!

Guest landtortise

i did the pin trick like mentioned on ronnies post and turned the motor by hand and got no signal. just to be safe I picked up a second cranksensor and swapped it out again and still getting no spark. car has a new module, that has been tested on a module tester, new coil pack, crank sensor plugs wires ect ect.

Guest Corvanti

just to make sure:

does your crankshaft (harmonic) balancer have any cracks or rubber missing - front and back sides? if so, it wouldn't take long to mess up the sensor.

if that's ok, did you measure the distance between the sensor "metal" and the crank grooves? it's kinda like setting the points in a distributor (old school:)). many threads here about that in "search".

if all of the above is ok, i'd go back to Ronnie's post about spark & fuel.

when i purchased my Reatta, i had to replace the crankshaft balancer/sensor plus the fuel pump.:( the ICM was good. as others have stated - get a fuel injector pump tester (around $20 at Harbor Freight) i don't know what they charge to rent one at a "FLAPS"...

good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

EDIT: sorry if i missed any answers to my questions, i was going by memory when last read the thread.:o

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

By design, the damper has the interrupter tabs fixed to the solid inner member which is pressed on the crankshaft so that even if the outer member seperates it will not affect the triggering of the sensor. The outer member rides on a ball bearing to keep it aligned.

Guest landtortise

Yes it is set to 20 thousandths like the instruction say to the car just cranks and is getting no spark. Like I said the module is new and I tested it too. When I installed it on the car It started right up and ran like a champ. Let it run for 10 minutes or so thought I had the problem fixed shut it off and tried to restart it and again no spark wiggled the wires going to the module and got a fire again let it run shut it down and now nothing my next step I guess is to check the wires in that harness

Guest Corvanti
By design, the damper has the interrupter tabs fixed to the solid inner member which is pressed on the crankshaft so that even if the outer member seperates it will not affect the triggering of the sensor. The outer member rides on a ball bearing to keep it aligned.

uhhh... really???

i suppose "ball bearing(s)" never fail due to out of round alignment issues?:rolleyes: