Decoding help 1955 Buick

Guest Faust

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Faust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The tag on the door jamb reads: 4 B7024153

</div></div>

4 = Series 40 Special

B = 1955

7 = Framingham, Mass assembly plant

024153 - sequential production number starting at 1001 for the plant

Of more value in terms of how the car is outfitted would be the cowl data plate...for '55, I forget whether that would be on the top of the cowl (passenger side) or whether it had moved to the firewall...'54 is on top of the cowl.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Faust:

Thriller got it right. To add to his post, 024153 would be a serial number used around the 3rd week of May, 1955. Approximate May frame number range was 021374 to 025900 for Framingham.

Other than what is it?(4=Special), what year is it? (B=1955), where was it built? (7=Framingham), and 024153 (May 18th, 1955), so you get the right service parts for it, there's really nothing there (unless you decode it like Thriller and I did, then all kinds of useful stuff.)

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest Faust

Thanks you guys. The car is a shell. Although I was sure it was a '55, the clock and red line speedometer had dates so late in '55 that they were into the '56 model year. Maybe they were warranty replacements.

I am fairly close to Framingham. I have met oldsters who worked at the assembly plants (GM & Mopar) that were there. In light of the current conditions, their stories no longer seem so humorous. i.e., knowing the spot on the line where you could throw open the hood so that it would contact the overhead and stop the line so everyone got a break, inserting beer cans with nuts and bolts to create rattles, etc.

Guest Faust

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (40)is the collektions number for Special,2dr Special Riviera is 46R. </div></div>

Thank you. I put in "40" as a series designation. The car is actually a 4 door, Special, Riviera.

It "came to rest" about 10 miles from Framingham.