1988 convertible

Guest steveskyhawk

Black/tan, early horn button, SS? Looks like something that may be worth salvaging (if not home made - was a company in the area "California Converibles" that had kits for a number of cars including Fieros). I see no evidence of a rigid tonneau cover & top looks like it is fastened to body behind door.

Guest Greg Ross

The Factory Verts have chrome across the top of the windshield frame?

Looks like someone took a crowbar to the dash. Odd to me is the painted steel frame material where the CRT mounts?

Two early convertibles have been located up to this time.

Both cars have 1988 serial numbers and have been modified by Buick to appear to be 1990 models.

The first that was found, was in a salvage yard in Santa Barbara CA. The person that discovered the car sent lots of photos and the vin number. I believe that car (or what was remaining of it) now belongs to Mike Rukavina in AZ.

The other car is located at IVY Tech in LaFayette Indiana.

It was donated and would be a great canidate for a museum.

This car has no top...no evidence one was ever in the car.

Even the black pads on the boot are fake, they have no hole for the rear top latches.

Steve, please get the vin number and photos of the are behind the seats. This will tell us how close to production level this car might have been.

Here is a poor photo of a early convertible prototype, note that it has a early steering wheel.

post-30596-143138049437_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

Another picture of the circumsized Reatta. I took the fenders etc, etc. Vin number for the record is:

1G4EC11C3JB900467. Car is located in the Ecology yard in Santa Fe Springs, California. (Los Angeles)

post-53748-143138049457_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

Just for laughs here is the carfax for the circumsized Reatta.

Vehicle Information:

1988 BUICK REATTA

1G4EC11C3JB900467

COUPE 3.8L V6 SFI 12V

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE

Standard Equipment | Safety Options

Search for other 1988 BUICK REATTA vehicles in La Verne, CA

No accident / damage reported to CARFAX

8 Detailed records available

125,443 Last reported odometer reading

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed

No Problem

Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon

Guaranteed

No Problem

Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed

No Problem

GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX

Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated

Accident / Damage Check

No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Buick dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

No data reported to CARFAX. No Data Reported

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Looking for other 1988 BUICK REATTA vehicles like this one in your area?

Search CARFAX Hot Listings for an up-to-date list of vehicles in your area, all with the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 6 billion vehicle history events and found 8 record(s) for this 1988 BUICK REATTA (1G4EC11C3JB900467).

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

05/15/1991 10,292 California

Inspection Station

Yorba Linda, CA Passed emissions inspection

08/23/1991 10,983 California

Inspection Station

Palmdale, CA Passed emissions inspection

03/26/1993 31,599 California

Inspection Station

03/20/1996 61,671 Auto Auction

Pacific SW Region Vehicle sold

Dealers routinely buy and sell millions of used vehicles at auction each year.

12/04/1996 64,546 Auto Auction

Pacific SW Region Vehicle sold

06/20/1997 64,593 California

Inspection Station

06/23/1997 California

Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated

New owner reported

12/22/2000 125,443 California

Inspection Station

Perris, CA Passed emissions inspection

Print this CARFAX Report and take it to your pre-purchase inspection .

The last record reported to CARFAX is from December 2000. While there haven't been any DMV-reported problems, check with the seller to see if they have any service and repair records before you buy.

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Guest steveskyhawk

Sorry i didn't get a picture of the back seat area. Didn't think anybody would be interested. I had to climb through to get into the trunk and (besides a toxic mess) they had welded a support bar across the back and put in a pleated backrest but the storage boxes were still there. The seats were not like anything i've ever seen in a Reatta. No hard tonnau cover. Cloth top was attached where the rear window would would meet trunk. California car. Good gas tank if anybody needs one. Somebody beat me to the CRT and mirrors. Darn!

Guest CL_Reatta

Just a quick off topic question... Barney, have you ever considered publishing a book, because you know EVERYTHING there is to know reatta... and that would make one good book

TaxMan-

Have to agree, it pains me to see any Reatta sitting junked. Most especially one that had no apparent collision damage. This usually means the last owner was too cheap or too uninformed to fix what was wrong with it. I'd bet a lot of 88-90 models that have clean bodies/interiors sitting in salvage yards are there due to ABS problems, as Teves is poorly understood by a lot of people and often expensive to fix.

Regarding this 88, I would hate to part it if it were a factory prototype. This appears to be a conversion (not a factory job) and while still rare, makes it less appealing, at least to me.

What if it were a factory prototype? Even if it was complete enough to restore, would it be worth it? At this point, it likely has a salvage title which is a hassle to get "cleaned". If it were a factory made test car, GM would've had a no-purchase/no-title provision on it like the ones donated to trade schools. So, at best it could be used as a museum piece if fully restored. Not likely it could ever be made street legal from a titling/licensing standpoint.

KDirk

The company I remember doing conversions then was the

California Convertible Co., Inc

28720 Roadside Dr., Suite 225

Agoura Hills, CA 91301

(818) 706-3919

so would have been in the same general area as the car was found.

I think they went defunct around 1990. I do know they made conversion kits for Camaros, Firebirds, and Fieros when no convertibles were available so an 88 Reatta conversion by them is likely.

It would be interesting to know if there is any sort of tag or embossment in the top of the roof with a manufacturer's name on it.

After all, production Reatta convertible assemblies were not made by GM but by ASC (American Sunroof Corp.), it was just a production conversion.

ASC Production Convertible Programs

1990-1991 General Motors Buick Reatta

http://www.ascglobal.com

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2005/07/13/137350.html (have to scroll)

Guest imported_tempest6cyl

A shot of the top storage area would be interesting. If they made it from a coupe, I would expect some remnents of the package shelf would still be there. I'm assuming you were talking about the floor storage boxes as in the coupe. They were replaced by structure on the convertible and that decision was made pretty early on. One of the very early ride mules may have attached the top along where the rear edge of the backlite would have been but it didn't have a functioning topstack. Sounds to me that this was coppled up by someone.

Here are some shots of the 1988 that is a convertible prototype. As you can see, it has the convertible storage, but no top. Note the airstruts that support the boot. Also note the top controls located in the door jamb ..this was apparently considered before moving them to the storage compartment. The car found in Arizona had the control in the door jamb also.

Last, notice there are no holes in the black trim for the rear pins on the convertible top.

post-30596-143138051948_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138051968_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143138051985_thumb.jpg

Guest steveskyhawk

When I posted the original pictures of the "circumsized Reatta" there was no doubt in my mind that this was NOT a factory prototype. I wish I had taken definitive pictures but there was never any doubt in my mind that a shoemaker had cut the top off this old coupe. For the record, the car in the wrecking yard in Santa Fe Springs looked NOTHING like the pictures Barney has posted in the previous post.

Guest imported_tempest6cyl

There were a couple show cars made for the show circuit. I remember there being three. All red exteriors with the saddle interior. I'd say this is one of them. Do you recall if it had one or two topstack pin bezels ? In the back of my mind I remember those show cars having only one bezel at centerline. Note the tonneau seal is just the extrusion. It doesn't have molded end details. Looks like the door pin socket from the Corvette. The Reatta eventually developed into a longer taper pin.

Guest steveskyhawk

The car in the Santa Fe Springs wrecking yard never had a hard tonneau cover like a factory convertible. The carfax confirms that this car began as a coupe. The windshield header was pure bondo and canvas.

Interesting bit of history reguardless. Thank you.

BTW that convertible-only door pin (visible in photo) is the kind of thing that needs to be in a Compleat Guide to the Reatta.

Have been involved in a few such ventures before & know a few people in publishing. One factor is that you need to fill 160 pages but original advertisments can fill a few. Manufacturers usually assist but is a lot of work.

Each time a book like this comes out, the prices jump.

Guest F14CRAZY

I've been reading this thread...very, very interesting. Think of the cowl shake issues though of chopping the top of a coupe...factory Reatta convertibles were bad enough, surprised this car didn't flex in half.

But yeah, were there any aftermarket/conversion Reatta convertibles?