BEST TRAILER TIRES????

Guest Econovanman

Guest Econovanman

I am looking at having a 24' 10,400gvw enclosed trailer built to haul our 1957 Chevy and 1965 Mustang around, and using a 15" tire by the way of ST22575R15, on a 6 lug 15" aluminum wheel.

I have read some on the tires that are available for this, and think that everyone feels that the GOODYEAR MARATHON load range D is the best one to run.......any comments or suggestions??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have had much better luck with Carlisles.</div></div>

I put 4 brand new E rated Carlisle tires on my trailer. They were well within load limit and inflated properly. 2 of them literaly blew apart within the first 1000 miles. The dealer took the other two off and gave me full credit towards 4 other tires. The Carlisles were made in China. Personally I wouldn't use them to start a brush pile burning. Don't mean to offend others who have had good luck but that was my experiance.......Bob

I agree with Bob, Carlisle tires are junk. I had a blow out with my 22' trailer a few years ago on the New Jersey turnpike going the speed limit. By the grace of God and some limited driving skills I got it under control and pulled over.

Carlisle would not do a thing for me until I had my lawyer send them a letter. The dealer then gave me four new General tires. I asked why not carlisles and he said off the record they were having problems with them. No problems since.

Dave Birchmire,Sr.

• Like 1

Well fellows, I have experienced the same thing you guys have. I bought a new enclosed trailer some years ago and experienced no tire problems the first couple years. Then, the trailer set for a good while. Probably 5 years later, I made a 450 mile trip up north and blew out every tire on the trailer. I don't drive slow, but by the end of the first leg of the trip, I had slowed down to 50 mph on the interstate, a traffic hazard, if there ever was one. eek.gif

Two years later, I'm starting to have problems with the replacement tires. Age is the killer! I spoke with my "Big Truck" dealer and we decided that the best bet is to get the highest load range tire possible for my particular wheels.

Even so, my next trailer will have the heaviest axles available with the biggest wheel tire combination. I'm getting tired of changing trailer tires. My big truck never blows out a tire.

Wayne

Wayne, just wondering if the trailer tires that blew out on you sat in the sun for the 5 years you mentioned?

Between towing trips my trailer sits in my driveway and gets the morning and afternoon sun.

A few years ago I decided to invest in tire covers like you often see used on RVs for my car trailer and tow vehicle.

I'm not saying that sun is the cause for all the tire failures but it could be a contributing factor in some cases.

BTW, does anyone have any input on the number of years or amount of miles that trailer tires typically last?

Hi Guys,

My big new all-aluminum hauler (24ft box, slant & tapered nose, 30ft overall, pair of 6,000 lb axles) came with 235/85-R16 Load Range E tires. The tires are ALWAYS protected from the sun with covers.

Within the first year, 3 of the four tires on the ground suffered BLOW-OUTS -- all with interior sidewall letting go -- and I always check my tire pressure - every trip, and usually every morning.

You guessed it -- all of the tires on this new trailer, including the spare were "MADE IN CHINA" -- so far, Forest River has not committed to replace these tires -- of course I bought new tires just to complete the trip (4 new B.F. Goodrich, and one MESA (only thing I could find at the Tire kingdom at the time).

Along with the other warranty repairs Forest River should be doing, I expect that they will see the wisdom of covering the replacement of these DANGEROUS CHINESE IMPORTED TIRES, and that they will deliver their trailers with better quality tires SO THAT NO ONE WILL BE INJURED !!!!!

Just sharing this note:

For trailer application, it is essential that you select the correct tires to match your application and capacity requirements. (ST) Special Trailer tires are normally more expensive than (P) Passenger car or (LT) Light Truck tires because they are built tougher with more material and are more bruise resistant. This is necessary because most trailer suspension systems are stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems. Consequently the tires must be capable of withstanding more ABUSE.

It is also important to chedk the manufacture dates because some trailer tires may sit on the shelf for a long time....

• Like 1

Guest Econovanman

Thanks all!!!! Great info here!!!! and I believe the general idea is that one should stay away from any tire, be it car, truck, or trailer that is made in China!!

Around where I live there is limited availability on trailer tires, I CAN get Goodyear Marathons at Sam's (special order) and "some" off/private label brands from the likes of Tire Kingdom, Tires Plus, and the like....

Just my opinion from years of pulling boat trailers with 3500# boats on them.

If you log on to the Pathfinder Boats, (MPH),Maverick Hews, Pathfinder, web site and do a search, you will find lengthly discussions on the best trailer tire. More discussions than you want to read.

By far the Maxxis is the best. Thats what I have now on a slightly overloaded, single axle, trailer hauling a 22ft Pathfinder boat with gas and a bunch (too much) gear.

These tires wear fantastic also. Just keep them inflated correctly. Most problems come from people not keeping a close eye on tire pressures. Under is as bad as over.

Bill H

• Like 1

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="color: #990000">Speaking from experience here ....

I travel all over the country and have purchased many sizes - brands - types of 15" tires.

I decided on 7.00 x 15 size in an 'E' load range several years ago.

They fit nicely on 6" wide trailer rims.

Right now I am running steel belted 7.00 x 15 highway tread tires which I tracked down thru a wholesale distributor in Houston, TX for $70 each.

Because I buy a minimum of (8) trailer tires at a time and run them 30K miles before changing them - I go thru a few sets a year.

The two biggest factors that shorten tire life are speed and shelf life.

Towing faster than 55 -60 m.p.h. builds up heat that destroys a tire from the inside out.

Tires older than 4 or 5 years should be discarded - between UV damage and normal aging they are not safe to run.

A tire dealer will sometimes sell you a tire this old that he has in stock - check the DOT code on the inner sidewall (usually) that contains the year and month of manufacture.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with tires made in China - I am running them right now and have used them for years without incident.</span></span>

post-56761-143138054274_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The two biggest factors that shorten tire life are speed and shelf life.

Towing faster than 55 -60 m.p.h. builds up heat that destroys a tire from the inside out.</div></div>

Jim, here's my beef. That towing faster than 60mph gets my goat. I don't drive my big trucks that slow, why should I drive my trailer towing unit that slow? If the manufacturers can make highway heavy haulers that will run 70-75 all day long, loaded to the hilt in 100 degree days, why can't they make car transport tires this way? Is it because we put up with this? Seems like every trip I make with my tow rig, I have to change a trailer tire. It's getting a little old. I'm looking for options and price is not a consideration. confused.gif

Wayne

Jim, Obviously you are much much more experianced towing than I am but I must question why half of my fresh Chinese Carlisles literally EXPLODED in less than 1000 miles of use. Especially since they were E rated and WAY under loaded, The pressures were spot on, and they were cool days. True I was towing at the speed limit of 65 but I just can't beleive the difference between 60 and 65 means not EXPLODE or EXPLODE.

I imagine there must be some good Chinese made cheap s**t out there that's not painted with lead paint, contaminated with melamine, or produced with near slave labor but in my book tires just ain't one of them..........Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When things are built right, they will be built in America?"....comes in?

</div></div>

There are a lot of really good foreign goods out there, Wayne. Think German machinery, Japanese high tech, French aircraft. But you get what you pay for. The concept of cheap quality is a total oxymoron. The sad part is the U.S.A. and it's people are capable of designing and making the best there is of anything you can name. But we buy the cheapest s**t we can get and send our jobs out of the country. No, I don't know how to fix this.........Bob

• Like 2

Bob, is it possible that the tires you purchased had, in fact, been made well before you bought them?

If you still have any of those tires how do their dates of manufacture (ie birth date) compare to the date you bought them?

Is it possible that your tires were not stored properly by the distributor or dealer?

See #s 1-8 in this article: http://www.motor.com/magazine/pdfs/092008_03.pdf

I don't have the 2 that didn't EXPLODE the dealer took them back. Of the 2 that EXPLODED there was nothing left of them except the beads on the rim and large pieces scattered along the hiway. So I can't say when they were manufactured. I can say that I bought them from a very active tire dealership, not a mom & pop type operation where they sat in the back shed for 10 years. And don't forget they were "E" rated and were way under loaded.

That being said, I don't doubt for a minute that tires deteriorate over time. I further beleive that the 7 0r 8 year life being touted by tire dealers might be true for tires stored in the sun and elements. I would bet the farm that tires stored inside in a climate controlled environment are NOT going to "go bad" in such a short time.

It's only anecdotal evidence but the tires on my Corvette, which is stored inside and sees little use or sunlite, are 20 years old and show no signs of deterioration.

Are they weaker than new? No doubt. But they haven't EXPLODED either.............Bob

Guest Merchant Xpress

We're running Carlisle tires on our rental trailers with no problems but the way our customers abuse the tires they don't last long enough to go bad from age. Imagine a trailer rated to carry 1000lbs loaded to the top with broken cement or gravel or sand or whatever being pulled at 70+ mph and bumped over curbs or dirt roads or any of a hundred other road hazards and you can see why they don't last. We check tire pressure after every rental and replace any bruised or damaged tires immediatly. If a tire lasts a year on my trailers they are old timers. The tires on my equipment trailers usually last about 2 years barring any unforeseen accidents. They go out almost everyday loaded with tractors or skid steers or scissor lifts, heavy stuff. Speed and careless driving are the biggest enemies of my tires. The Carlisle tires hold up as good as any other brand.

Harry

I'm wondering if there is something here that we're not looking at the right way - is a radial tire really a good trailer tire? I'm just thinking out loud here so don't start tossing rocks yet, but it seems to me that trailer tires do a lot more squirming than passenger car tires do. there simply is a lot more stress on sidewalls when used for trailering. Since the tread portion of the tire is held firmly by the steel threads in a radial tire, all the abuse must be absorbed by those thinner sidewalls, which are more susceptible to the ravages of UV, heat, pressure fluctuations, load shifts, etc. I've seen radial trailer tires blow apart at the side wall and leave the tread completely intact. Wouldn't a bias-ply tire provide a bit more "cushion" for trailering use? I don't think you can buy a bias-ply tire anymore so was wondering if the reason we see so many trailer tire failures is because the radial concept just doesn't work well for this purpose??? Don't know, just wondering. And, if anyone cares, I did a lot of research on the internet before buying my Goodyear Marathons.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We're running Carlisle tires on our rental trailers with no problems </div></div> Hard to argue with sucess. I have to go to my tire dealer today to replace a 20,000 mile Good Year on my Durango that has a ply seperation. Not sure what it will cost me but I'm sure it won't be a free replacement. Maybe I just got a "bad batch" of Carlisles but for me it's "once burned twice shy.".......Bob

Guest Trunk Rack

I run several trailers with 15" wheels. All "three axle". My experience down thru the years is that there is NO PREDICTABILITY as to failure rates. You name the place where the tire was made, and I will give you examples of HORRIBLY BAD tires that failed catastrophically, and ALSO give you examples of tires that served well. INCLUDING CHINESE MADE ! So I have nothing to add to the discussion about WHERE a tire is made, as to predicting how well it will serve you.

I CAN say that I prefer RADIALS. As others have noted, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL, traditional American-style/bias style sidewalls are stronger, and should handle abuse better than the much thinner side-wall radials.

Trouble with that is, all things are NOT equal. Then we add into the equation HEAT. Again, as others in here have noted, heat is a tire-killer. Keep the heat down, and the tire has a better chance of surviving.

My experience is that GOOD radials (and again, I have NO idea how to predict which tire, which manufacturer, or where the manufacturer is located, is going to serve you) is that they run SO much cooler. I WISH I could buy American-made tires, but non of our local suppliers have any. It is my suspicion that the Chinese are wising up and improving their tire quality.

Bottom line - all I can offer you is GOOD LUCK !

Guest Dean_H.

A couple years ago the commercial highway patrol was ticketing some of the farmers near me for overloading their trucks. They would check the tire weight rating and if you exceeded that weight you'd get a ticket. My trailer is rated for 25,600 lbs GVW, but the D rated tires restricted me and I was hauling heavy loads. So I called up a tire shop and had them ship me eight new E rated tires. I wanted radials, but the guy said he could only get bias ply E rated tires for the 16.5 size. After I mounted them on the trailer I noticed they ran a lot hotter than my truck tires. I also had to add air every couple months to keep them at the recommended 80lbs. Last summer I needed to pick up a tractor in Arizona. I knew my tires were weak so I drove in at night but the tractor had to be picked up in the day. My trailer was close to gross on weight, temp was about 115 degrees. The tires were so hot it felt like you could fry an egg on them. Only one tire lost some tread, I made it home OK.

tires34.jpg

The next day I checked around on the internet and found E rated 16.5 radials at thetirerackdotcom and had them ship out eight.

tires-1.jpg

When I started removing the old tires, they appeared to have melted to the rim. I'm not sure if they were slipping when braking or if it was just the heat, but it was a lot of work to scrape the rubber off the rims. The new tires are great. Run cool and hold air forever.

tiretrailer.jpg

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="font-size: 20pt">SOLD</span></span></span>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'"><span style="color: #990000">I am in the Houston, TX area

I am replacing my 15 inch trailer tires and rims

The tires have less than 20K miles on them

The rims are less than a year old and I am buying aluminum rims so I am selling the tire and rim mounted and balanced

These are 7.00 x 15 steel belted load range 'E' highway tread trailer tires that are mounted on 15 x 6 white spoke 'wagon wheel' rims in a 6 x 5.5 lug pattern

$60 each for all (10) or $75 each in pairs of (2)

Please call Jim at (937) 671-5537 </span></span>

post-56761-143138060637_thumb.jpg

post-56761-14313806064_thumb.jpg

post-56761-143138060642_thumb.jpg

post-56761-143138060644_thumb.jpg

Hello, I've read a lot of the replys here and here's some news I;ve discovered. I have a 1991 20' Wells Cargo that at the time of purschase, I requested Goodyear Marathons Radials as Bias ply were still being installed. That was 18 yrs ago. There are only 6000 mi. on them today! I've towed 70+ with them, but now get worried as they are old. I wouldn't do it with the new Goodyear Marathons from what I've read, as they are made in China, as are most! I'm putting new 6000lbs Torflex axles on it, along with American/Canadan Michelin tires LT225/75-16 and 8 lug wheels. These tires are the best if you read many blogs as I have; as this new axle/ tires/wheels will be a time comsuming job to the trailer. By the way, my old Marathons are USA MADE! If you want piece of mind, buy American tires, made by Michelin.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest resq302

Great, we just replaced our original, US made Goodyear Marathon trailer tires yesterday with new China made ones (same Goodyear Marathons) due to the originals having dry rot cracking on the side walls and cracking in the bottom of the treads. Now that I have read this, I am nervous about our new tires. Granted, if we put 1000 miles on the trailer in a year its a lot, but I am still all too worried about that tire letting loose.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my car trailer inspected the other day and thought of this thread.

The fella who did the inspection has been towing and inspecting trailers for a LONG time.

The following is HIS opinion on this subject:

Tire failures are FAR LESS LIKELY to be caused by tire quality, design or origin of manufacture than everyone on the Internet thinks.

Tires blow out due to the following (in no particular order):

- Improper inflation

- Dry Rot/Sun damage

- Using an improper tire (ie load rating or non-trailer tire)

- Continuing to tow the trailer after a tire blowout either due to not knowing about or caring that a tire blew.

- Tire puncture from nails, road debris etc.

Personally, I have to wonder if the experiences of some posters here are not due to the last two on the list above.

The inspection tech also had a question for people that tow expensive cars....

Why does he see some many car trailers that are POS, falling apart, accidents waiting to happen that haul very nice and expensive cars.

He cannot understand why that is. Are their owners stupid or just cheap? BTW, I am not saying anyone here is like that.

During our discussion he also mentioned that the local State Police barracks call their business all the time for weight spec information about travel trailers. When the state police investigate trailer accidents they ALWAYS CHECK THE TRAILER SPECS to verify that the tow vehicle & trailer were within spec when it comes to weight. He also said that the owner of his company has a standing policy that they will not sell a travel trailer to a customer until they know what the tow vehicle is and check it's towing weight specs. Seems they have turned down a number of sales over the years doing this.

Looks like those people that tow and follow towing weight recomendations for trailers and tow vehicles are not so nit-picky and dumb after all. At least when it comes to the Pennsylvania State Police's accident investigation policy.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an enclosed trailer built in 2002 with 15" rims and two 5500 lb axles. For the next 4 years I blew out a complete set every cross country trip I made. Had the builder replace the axles with 7200# capacity and bought the highest load rated radial tires I could buy. No problem since. I run it about 8000 miles per summer with about a total gross weight of 12,500#. My original axle and tire combo was just too light. I think you'll be surprised if you weight your rig loaded with vehicle and all the tools and parts you may carry.

Charlier,

Your inspection technician isn't entirely wrong, but he did over-simplify in my opinion.

The fact is that, having done ALL the right things with regard to loading, pressure, maintenance, etc., my less-than-one-year-old trailer with 6000lb axles and new Load-Range E tires blew the inside sidewalls on three of the first five tires (I bought new Michelins before the other 2 had a chance to blow). This was on our first two trips, and I check air pressure at 80psi EVERY MORNING. One of them blew overnight, splitting a sidewall in the driveway; another Popped Very Loudly, also splitting the sidewall in 10mph traffic during a hurricane evacuation.

What these DEFECTIVE tires had in common was that they were ALL MADE IN CHINA -- IRONMAN brand, which I was told is a Carlisle sub-brand -- they are 235/85-R16 LR"E".

"Buy-American" isn't such bad advice -- it might even save your life as well as your job.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I change out the tires on any trailer I buy, especially an enclosed trailer, and run MAXXISS tires on them.  I haven't had any problems with them. A couple years ago I bought a 28 ft enclosed trailer and immediately bought a set of Maxxiss for it.  The tires on the new trailer were load range D, barely acceptable for a 10,000 lb rated trailer.  Load range E Maxxiss installed, better trailer manners, no blow outs, needless to say, I am happy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news for those looking for an American made trailer tire .... 

Starting earlier this year Goodyear introduced an American Made ST Trailer Tire.

@ https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html 

I buy my at Discount Tire/America's Tire Store because they offer free replacement certificates that are not based on pro-rated tire tread

I have been running them all year long on my triple axle 34 foot enclosed car hauler trailer

Jim 

The new tire from Goodyear looks very good. N speed rating is 87mph. I buy the BEST tire I can find, and will still run my Sailun’s, but I am quite sure the American made Goodyear is the best tire you can find made in the US, and would be a second choice for me. I am sure they are much easier to find than the Sailun’s. The difference between the two is significant, both in construction, speed rating, capacity, and weight carrying ability. Although almost nothing from China is worth buying, the Sailun’s is a ISO 9000 Company, and make great tires. 

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 3/7/2009 at 9:33 PM, Jay Wolf said:

I have had much better luck with Carlisles.

Had poor service from Carlisles, then bought set of Greenballs, they were worse, no mileage, went bald in 5000 miles. Have a set of Turnpike 10 plys now and am very satisified with them. Made by Contentinal in USA

On 5/29/2018 at 2:58 PM, Roger Walling said:

Whatever brand you use, use TRAILER TIRES" not passenger. radials. The radials will make it sway.

Trailer tires are made in both bias and radial. I agree its best to use tires made for trailers.

• Like 1