eBay Black/Gray 1988 w/ 637 miles!!!!!!!!!!

Reattatude

Guest mgibson

That's a Riviera owner's manual jacket! Noticed that the antenna is not fully down. It may have a problem there. But then, nothing's perfect.

Is a very late 88 (see VIN and weight tag) so would not have suede. Does not appear to have the metal TEVES return line intro'd very late in 88 but something about the circular thingie in the area under the accumulator looks different from any of mine. May have been a very short-lived change.

ps just checked my window sticker and it says "leather and suede" also. Prolly just an oversight.

post-31022-143138048955_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rawja</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weird....

The window sticker (and the ad copy) lists the car as having leather and suede seats, but the car clearly has all leather. </div></div>

I noticed that too. BUT Its going up up up

Guest steveskyhawk

There is a long way to go on that auction. My guess is that some silent somebody is making travel arrangements as we speak. The auction will end without a winner. The car will be sold however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> (but dealer can fix). </div></div>

PRECISELY, Padgett!

With the proper tools, even the odometer can be "fixed"!

Not making any implications toward this choice '88 Reatta, merely an observation of available possibilities.

I agree with the suede/leather debate - too late of a VIN for suede bolsters, equipment tags can be misleading for this option.

Has anyone checked this car's trunk-tag for the X-22 code???

It's a possibility, as some of the S/60 cars never got the badge mounted on the hood. The hood badge on this car appears to be a stock '88 small diameter style, the S/60 badges had larger diameter to accomodate the outer ring moniker "Select Sixty Buick Dealers". The alternate verification method is to examine the trunk's equipment tag for the elusive X22 code.

Quick question, this car is black over gray. I thought 88 select 60's were all black over tan. Wouldn't that exclude it from being a possible select/60? Or was the interior color negotiable on an 88 select 60?

It does look awfully clean, so I've no reason to doubt the mileage stated. Personally, I would actually be worried about buying a 20 year old car with less than 700 miles on the clock.

Unless already done, this would probably need all new hoses/gaskets/tires etc. in short order as the rubber would have dry rotted from age, even with virtually no use. None of this is unexpected on a 20 year old car, but to pay a premium for low miles and then have to do all that work seems like a lot of extra money just to brag about a low odometer.

Then again, just my opinion.

KDirk

The other issue is that things like seals and gaskets tend to dry out and leak unless used regularly (why a good idea to start and idle for a while at least monthly - there is a process for going into long term storage that should be followed).

A/C compressors are particularly vulnerable to non-use, one sign that the seals are going is that even with a proper charge (which could have been done the day before) cooling will drop farther than normal at a stop light.

Another is to smell the gas in the tank (through the filler). Old gas has a distinctive odor and means it could be changing to varnish/gum which is a royal pain to clean out.

W/S washers also tend to clog from non-use and leather can dry out and crack. One test of this sort of thing is to squeeze the wire cover for the headlamp or radiator fan. If it crumbles, other plastic elements may be going as well.

Bottom line - if you are selecting cars for museum duty or for coffee tables then low milage is fine. If you want one to drive then a 20 year old car with 40-60,000 miles is probably in better operating condition than one with less than 1,000.

NOW I'VE HEARD IT ALL! laugh.gif

C'mon guys, any of us, (who prefer '88s), would pay whatever the seller wanted, if money, (and the economy), was'nt an issue! This car is as close to MINT as one can get - on the street, or on ebay. I understand there's a limit to how much anyone should ever pay for a 1988 Reatta, but this car deserves that level of bid, with it's super-low miles and excellent pristine condition. Black Beauty is NOT this clean.

This car is worthy of screen-time at Barret-Jackson on Speed TV. cool.gif

I have a set of NOS gray seats with suede bolsters, if that's what's holdin' anyone back.

Randy,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it isn't worth top dollar; it is if only because the body is as solid as could be found having so little road/outside time. Also minimal mechanical wear on the engine and transmission.

As a museum piece, it is nearly ready for show. Even if the buyer wanted to use it as a [semi] daily driver, they would have to do a lot of prep work (seals, hoses, etc.) on a car this old regardless of the mileage, unless the previous owner was religious about doing all these things. For all I know, they were and the car is 100% ready to roll. If it is, so much the better.

Major point of my post was that I wouldn't pay the price a car like this will certainly fetch because I buy cars to enjoy (read:drive) and it would be silly for me to pay a premium for such a low mileage car for this use. It would also be a crime (I think) to sully such a clean car and run up the mileage by using it regularly on the road, even if I took the best possible care of it.

I would rather buy the proverbial 60,000-80,00 mile car at a reasonable price and do the maintenance to get it reliable and decent as a daily driver again. For me, this is just a practical and budget consideration.

I am not of the fiscal means to be a car collector in the Barrett-Jackson sense of the word. Those who are may buy any car they want at any price they can pay, as they earned the money to do so, with no complaints from me.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to buy this car for doing so. It is a premium car, and will (and should) command a premium price. It just isn't for me. that said, if I had limitless funds, heck yeah, I'd buy it. It'd still pain me to put in on the road though. I guess I'd treat it as a display piece, maybe use it car shows or parades.

Oh, and I still would like to know if the 88 select/60's came only in black over tan, or were gray seats put in some of them?

KDirk

Some of these posts about potential problems are what you would expect from bidders who don't want any competition. The potential problems that are being described are not all that expensive to take care of. I bet it would cost more to get a 60,000 mile maintenance done on a Mercedes than you would have to spend on this car to get it in top condition. Why all the fuss about a few hoses and seals that are readily available?

I no longer see "Reserve not met". Is $8100.00 going to get this car?

I don't know how this is going to sound, but I wouldn't buy a car with so few miles as I would want to drive it and then beat myself up for the miles I put on and agonize over the stone chips I would pick up...

Guest steveskyhawk

Didn't Yogi Berra say 'it aint over till its over"? The beginners have bid and the real buyers will bid later. All this stuff about the problems of a low milage car. Not a problem. I wish I had that problem. I would be afraid to drive it same as Dave. I wish we could set up a wagering pool to see what the car goes for. My bet is 18K.

I agree if someone did not care about the price and wanted a "new" 88 Buick, even double the going rate for a nice car is cheap. That person would have to be willing to settle for one without all of the options though.

That said almost everything I see about the car is correct for the VIN but is several months too late for a SS, I suspect all X-22s were built in a single Feb 88 run ending on the close order of VIN -1150. Barney ?

Do wonder how much the original owner got as a trade in & where the other two speakers are (see text).

Yeah unless somebody gets in the back door and the auction is ended early the real price will be seen when the last minute snipers make the scene. Im guessing it will go over 15K and Id like to see it go higher.

This is a 20yr old new car. What kind of new car can you buy today for 15-20K? Not much. I hope it stays on the block and I hope I can watch the last minute fireworks!

Exactly, Padgett!

This Reatta should be woth equal value to any car made since, (within Reatta sticker price range), with equal miles, in equal condition. I don't see any 2008 Buicks with 600 miles selling for $8100 - anywhere. wink.gif

Well worth more than a new Aveo! Even as someone's new daily driver, or first car.

As for the collector, where else could one find any collectible car with such low miles, other than high-end auctions? AND how much could THAT cost 'ya?

But, after all, it's just a Buick! eek.gif

(selling for 1/3 sticker price, in showroom condition!)

Yeah, I'm surprised it didn't surpass the $10K mark. Despite my minor misgivings about this car (which are all subjective based on my own opinions and experience) I'd concur that it should have been worth more.

I'd have to figure a down economy kept it from going higher, and perhaps it's being sold on ebay. Lets face it, Barrett Jackson and other high-end car auctioneers could've pumped the price more than this, ebay just doesn't have that kind of juice, or the well funded following that B/J and the like command at their showings.

In any case, unless there are unknown problems with the car, somebody got a great deal. How often can you get a nearly new condition luxury coupe for under $10,000? It just doesn't happen.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

In 5-10 years that same car will bring 30K. Welcome to the Depression II. I think i'll watch those old Waltons reruns to figure out how to get through this.

This might be more of an indicator that our Reattas just havent reached the collector's status that we might have hoped they have. The convertibles command the highest prices but even those cars are not "up there" with many other Buicks like the GS.

Another decade should change things, a lot more Reattas will have gone to the crusher. Right now Reattas are cheap and plentiful. I just enjoy driving mine so this doesnt discourage me. I wonder if we will see the owner of this Reatta at one the future BCA meets? I hope they show the car.

I bought mine to drive mine. I wasn't interested in appreciation. It is a rare car that is fun to drive, and in my opinion not that hard to work on. I will go so far as to say that for being 20 year old cars they are very reliable, as far as engine & trannys go.

The common problems are the accumulater/low pressure switch for brakes, ICM/coil paks for ignition, CRT/instrument clusters/light switches for instrumentation and headlight cranks for illumination.

I have a simple guideline, when a car exceeds its original purchase price, it becomes a "collector". Usually this takes about 30 years.

The Reatta today is the same age as my Judge was in 1990 and then you could find one for about 1/3 the MSRP. Today it is worth a bit more.

One thing I have seen occur is than in the 60's, a five year old car was just that, "old". Today it takes longer.

Now the Reatta does have several things going for it: top of the line, distinctive, low production (when you look at it, most high-dollar cars today are ones that dealers had a hard time selling when new. I remeber brand new "leftover" Shelby GT-350s selling at a Ford dealer in Miami for $1995).

Now, I find BJ to be entertaining but absurd and not quite in the real world.

Convertibles will always be more attractive to some than coupes (though the split-window Stingray is a noticable exception) and for a time will command a higher price. Keep in mind that in the early 70s, shops were littered with Rochester FI units that had been replaced by a Holley

That said, my vert is for around town while if I were to visit my sister in AZ (hop on the turnpike, bear right at Wildwood, left at Lake City, and go west for two days) the coupe is the way to go. Far superior road car.

And unless you can drive it, what is the purpose ?

I gotta agree with Dave here, I bought the car first and foremost to enjoy by driving it. I am not in the category of collector (yet anyway) that can afford to buy a ultra-premium original condition low mile car like this 88 for the sake of future appreciation and investment value.

Not that I wouldn't like to, it just isn't in my budget. As Padgett so aptly pointed out, unless you can drive it, what is the purpose? Of course, if the value does go up, that is a fringe benefit in my mind.

The notable exception to this idea are the real rarities (Bugatti anyone?) that are worth so much you'd be terrified to take them on the road and risk as much as a rock chip. Besides, cars like these are more art than transportation at this stage. I highly doubt a Reatta will ever approach this kind of legendary status.

All that considered, the Reatta is destined to be a classic that will be worth more (likely far more in the distant future) than it's original price. It has all the hallmarks of a car that will do this, Padgett has listed these in his post above.

The one unknown variable that may affect the entirety of car collecting in the future is the availability of oil, or at least affordable oil. If it gets so expensive that it is out of the reach of the masses, then all cars that run on gas and use oil for lubrication will become display pieces or boat anchors.

If this happens, then power train retrofits are the only way to keep them usable for driving. This will detract from the originality of the car and impact the value negatively. Really, a no win situation if it comes to that.

In any case, I do like the idea of having a classic in the making. Plus the idea of still driving a clean Reatta in another 15 or 20 years is rather appealing, as by then it will as rare as seeing a 57 Chevy or 59 Eldorado on the road today. I hope that I can keep it going that long.

KDirk

Not sure that it will never become "legendary", look at the 1955-57 T'bird. It was really not in the same league as contemporary Corvettes or Jaguars, yet has consistantly been very popular.

Personally have always been rather catholic in my taste, don't think I ever met a car I didn't like. Do like the sound of a six better than other configurations. Also like rear engined cars though engineering and ergonomics both put the power module in the front (but that is mainly because I live in Florida).

Guess the only real drawback to the Reatta is performance-related. Like the "big 6" Rolls Royce, power is "adequate" but understated. It can exceed the ton easily but for bean-counter reasons it did not receive the turbocharged version of the 3.8 found in contemporary Grand Nationals and the 1989 Trans Am. It could have been done, just wasn't

Guest CL_Reatta

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The one unknown variable that may affect the entirety of car collecting in the future is the availability of oil, or at least affordable oil. If it gets so expensive that it is out of the reach of the masses, then all cars that run on gas and use oil for lubrication will become display pieces or boat anchors.

</div></div>

I can see 30 years from now little kids asking "daddy what was gasoline?"........ but I dont think that will be true... metal parts still need to be lubricated, plastic still needs to be made... oil is here to stay

I was discussing the 1991 convertibles with my wife, as to them being the "rare" ones. She said, why didnt they make the top automatic, and as I thought about it I got to thinking about all the extra care and quality that went into the Reatta production, the Craft center and the 30,000 price tag - my answer that would have raised the price of the car, maybe too much. So imagine the cost of a Turbo Reatta or automatic top, or this or that and you are looking at a possible $40,000 Buick.

Tha Reatta is a lotta car for the money, right now they are like one of best values in the used market - if you can use a two seater.

Guest Ranger

Re: the power top. I'd guess that since the top is so small, trunk storage is important, and the fact that perhaps a designer wanted a clean rear deck look, it would make sense to use a manual top. My '85 Riv convert, which was converted outside the factory, had such a large amount of hydraulics that the rear seat and trunk lost space. One of the main draws for me on the Reatta converts I've owned was the nice clean look when the top is down and the quick operation without having to snap on a parade cover.

Jim Too

Guest THEHKP7M13

I disagree with a turbo that was used in a the GN. I would make the arguement for a 3800 supercharged version, especially the series II in 1991. It was the proper layout and a direct drop in. It could have been the Reatta GS.

I am currently in the market for a Reatta (I think I am fairly biased to 1991, because of the newer generation engine/trans and having conventional brakes that aren't voodoo) As a current GTO owner (2004) I am confounded by fellow GTO owners and them hoping for their cars to worth more then they really are. If you want to buy a car to enjoy it fine. Congrats I am totally with you.

If you want to buy a car to speculate: GET OUT OF MY HOBBIE and go invest in the stock market and if thats too risky for you, how about a nice C.D.