Sign in to follow this  
REX STALLION

Rebuilding the super turbine 400

What should I look for in a transmission shop to rebuild my trans if it needs it? are there kits available or do people go to a newer turbo 400? Just thinking ahead

Rex,

You don't say for what year. The ST400 has a unique bellhousing pattern for '64 through '66. The '64 has a unique valve body, and the '65 - '66 both have the switch pitch converters. '67 and up share the bell housing with Olds and Pontiac (BOP pattern) and the first years of this model also have the switch pitch. The only thing newer would be a 480LE. GM built a ton of these TurboHydro 400's and there's a lot of literature and aftermarket parts available. Check the reputation of your local rebuilders and go with the best you can find.

Ed

Rex,

I like the part about if it needs it! The 400 transmission is tough-as-nails and not likely to fail. If it is shifting OK and not leaking, not much to be gained by having it rebuilt.

If you do decide to have it rebuilt, check with the local GM car clubs and see who they recommend. I would also look for an older tech that has been around these transmissions and is comfortable working on them.

HTH,

Tim