1929 Hupmobile project

Guest Dean_H.

• 10 months later...
Guest karim chhapra

Hi Dean I am from Pakistan my name is karim i was very impressed to see how you have restored your car i also have one hupmobile 1929 tourer which i found 1n 2008 sitting on bricks for 40 years in a house in Lahore Pakistan along with studebaker 1929.Both cars were in good shape specially Hup the car had done 12000 miles and had to do nothing much to both the cars .

• 2 months later...
Guest karim chhapra

Hi Dean can you help me i am having problem with my fuel pump. Its works fine but a time it stop giving fuel to the carb i have checked for any leak every thing is fine but at times it stops giving fuel your advice will help me a lot thanks

Guest Dean_H.

Karim, glad to hear you've been enjoying your Hupmobile, you sure found a nice one.

I'm running an electric fuel pump on my car. I hooked it to an oil pressure switch, it turns on as soon as the engine builds 3lbs oil pressure and goes off when the oil pressure drops below 3. It's been working very well.

Here is what I know on the old systems:

If you are using the original vacuum pump/tank it may be having trouble when the engine is working hard such as climbing a hill. Since the engine only has 70 horsepower, you may be at full throttle for an extended period. The engine doesn't produce vacuum at full throttle and hence won't fill the vacuum tank.

If the engine is running out of gas during normal driving, then check the vent on the vacuum tank. Pete (from Florida) said he had some trouble with the vent on one of his cars. If the vent is blocked it can prevent gas from flowing to the carburetor. I think the vent opens and closes with the float in the tank.

There could also be dirt, rust or other contamination somewhere in the system. And of course leaks are not good, but you already checked for that.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Guest karim chhapra

Deab, thank took your advice put electric fuel pump and the car is running fine .Now i am trying to fix my orignal fuel pump if i am able to fix it will let you know ,can you tell me where can i find manual for hup thanks again.

post-65909-143138190433_thumb.jpg

post-65909-143138190436_thumb.jpg

post-65909-143138190439_thumb.jpg