glass to convertible top adhesive?

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

does anyone know of a adhesive that can be used to adhere the glass to the vinyl top . I have a few spots where it is coming loose, but the adhesion on the other side where it is attached to the black inner material is fine and holding well, not loose at all, . I know this usually can not be done but would like to try, car is from florida and has been on car a few years(to much heat in florida) but has absolutely no were shown on the top itself, so I think it is worth the try. I found some stuff that people suggested, 1. amazing Goop, 2, super strength contact cement. 2 gorilla industrial strength, They use something to hold it when the top is made, What is it? any ideas that have worked,

Guest bkazmer

call 3M for tech service. you said that you know the top is vinyl. Are you gluing the glass to the top fabric or is there a seal in there? I suspect if it's to glass you will need a organo-silane + polyurethane type adhesive.

Guest daveagain909

I called 3M and they had no recommendation and were afraid to suggest anything, They are worriied about being sued if the window fell out. I told them there is a big market for something that works, They said they are thinking about it.

Guest bkazmer

actually the market for individuals gluing their roof to rear window is tiny from 3M's commercial viewpoint. It sounds like their consumer tech line was not too good - try their industrial. the organosilane-PU is a guess based on the materials you want to bond and how encapsulated windows are made industrially (you don't have the temperature or pressure available). I think their industrial automotive office is in Livonia, MI. They should be able to recommend a current product.

• 5 months later...

DAVEAGAIN909,

If they gome up with even a wild suggestion, Please pass it on - preferably in a PM or E-mail me.

My 1970 Cadillac has the same problem --- I tried silicone with modest, but temporary success, but it is a thick layer to seal, and does not look attractive.

Thanks, and good luck,