My new to me Reatta

Guest halofaller

Guest halofaller

Hello all. I just became the owner of a absolutely mint 1990 Reatta. It has about 89k miles on it and looks like it came off the showroom floor! It is all original from what I can tell. With the car came all of the original paperwork including the window sticker. Even the plastic spare key is there.

There isn't a scratch on the paint which is glossy and even the pinstripping is like new. I think the car was always garaged.

The original floormats look like they've never been stepped on and the seat leather is soft and show no wear. The interior is super clean but doesn't look cleaned, it seems like it was just kept that way. Everything works except the cigarette lighter. Even the tranmission shifter indicator lights up and appears like new condition. The glass is good.

I am thrilled. I drove it home last evening and other than a slight pull to the left (very slight) it runs and handles great.

Now it's time for me to maintain this beauty in as perfect condition as the last owner to whom I am thankful.

My hat is off to the previous owner because a gem like this comes along rarely and I intend to make sure this fine Reatta stays fine.

Guest halofaller

It is a peweter like color with a lighter grey interior. I'll put up some pics later today, I haven't had a chance to take any yet. The paint is glossy and the clear coat is all there. Not a single rock chip and the air dam proabably never even hit a bug.

There is one fault that I want to attend to right away and that is the headliner. It looks original too but behind and above the driver position it is sagging just a bit. I hate to pull this one off to recover it because the rest of the liner is perfect. I've never had much luck regluing headliners unless it was a full blown take off, scrape and complete recover.

Look in the trunk, next to the spare tire. On the right of the tire, lift the insulation and you will find the "Service Parts" label. This label has the DNA of your car. At the end of the codes at the bottom of the label are the paint codes.

WA9021 code is silver, there were 579 silver coupes made in 1990, most had grey interior but burgundy and blue show up.

WA9235 code is gunmetal, there were 411 gunmetal coupes made in 1990, same interior choices as silve.

Congratulations on your find, and Welcome to the Forum. With the expertise and knowledge of its' Members, you'll be able to keep your Prize like new.

Guest halofaller

Thanks for that info on the paint and headliner. This model is Gunmetal Gray Metallic with Trim 993 in slate gray leather. Very clean under the spare tire cover, I think I've been the first one to every open it up.

I'll have some pictures later today.

I just replaced the headliner in my '90 sunroof coupe. It was very easy. I took the shell to a friend who does upholstery and she only charged me $125 (regular rate) to install the original type cloth headliner on the panel and the sunroof panel. Of course, I had to reinstall the completed panel myself which again, was very easy.

The reason why you haven't had sucess reglueing headliners is that there are 2 bonds for the headliner. One bonds the foam to the shell and the second bonds the cloth to the foam. Over time both bonds let go so just reglueing one is futile. Also the foam breaks down over time so it will just come apart when reglued.

The only other caution I would add is to be very gentle with the shell as you remove it. Mine required patching with fiberglass mat and resin as someone previous to me got too physical with the removal. The best part of the replacement for me is the car smells much better as the previous owner was a smoker and the headliner took a lot of smoke abuse over the years.

Good luck with your new purchase. It sounds like you have a winner!

Guest steveskyhawk

halofaller,

Did you buy the car that was on craigslist in the bay area? That looked like a super car in the ad.

It is important to buy a good car to begin with. Some aspects of these cars are difficult to restore. The headliner job isn't difficult but be very carful not to damage the "board" when removing it. The material should cost about 35 bucks and my guy charges 40 bucks to do the recover. Wear clean rubber mechanics gloves when reinstalling to keep the new headliner free of skin oils etc.

How many jumps do you have and where?

Guest CL_Reatta

Or if you did not purchase it there, did you buy it from this "captain Dave" in Mount Clemens because there is/was one for sale exactly like you are describing

Guest halofaller

Yes, this one came off of CL and was truly as represented. A real beauty. Here are the pictures. The Driver's seat is every bit as good as the passenger seat.

post-60606-143138047855_thumb.jpg

post-60606-143138047857_thumb.jpg

post-60606-143138047858_thumb.jpg

post-60606-14313804786_thumb.jpg

post-60606-143138047863_thumb.jpg

Guest halofaller

More pics. The engine is as clean as the seats. Spotless. More importantly is runs really nice.

I'm sure that something will pop up, with a used car no matter how nice there will always be something but I'm confident I've got a good one to start with. Tomorrow I'll clay the paint then a good coat of ICE on it. Then I'm going to drive drive drive. After all, a car like this sitting unused is like having a wife or husband living on the other coast.

post-60606-143138047864_thumb.jpg

post-60606-143138047865_thumb.jpg

post-60606-143138047866_thumb.jpg

post-60606-143138047868_thumb.jpg

Guest halofaller

I almost forgot. 378 , mostly overseas - Europe and several borders south of the US. Not anymore, one knee went soft. Highest I go now is hopping down the stairs, or into the Reatta.

Guest steveskyhawk

I made almost 4,000 sport jumps. Never a scratch. Well almost. Beautiful car. You have another 100K with just general maintenance.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you got a great Reatta (dont know what you paid, did you get a great deal?)

Its nice to know there are still some practically unmolested beauties out there. You could join the BCA and show it in Colorado this summer, might have a winner there cool.gif Greys are among the rarer finishes. Most of all Have Fun!!

Guest halofaller

Thanks! I think I got a pretty good deal. I base that on the asking prices of the higher end 5-6k and the lower end $1500-2K. I fell into the middle. It probably won't get NADA to change the values section for Reattas.

I'm thinking about a 3M invisible bra for the fron and something for the leading edges on the wheel wells since there isn't a scratch anywhere and I got it to drive, as often as I can.

I'll give BCA some thought. I've never showed a car but it might be fun.