TWOTZ technical article

Guest mitch lojek

Guest mitch lojek

does anybody have the technical article "CURING CONTINENTAL DOOR SAG " by the author NELSON.

approx. 5 pages long with 13 illustrations.

any help in finding this article would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi Mitch,

If this is the same article I am thinking of, it was in the Continental Comments, the quarterly club magazine of the LCOC. I think I have it somewhere around here and if I find it I'll scan the article here.

I did the biggest part of this on the drivers door on my 41 Continental, however when I went to fit the vent window assembly back into the door, the bracket behind the hinges hit the frame and will need either modifyed or taken out.

Basically what it is is an angle iron frame bent, drilled and welded together, then placed inside the door and held in place by the screws for the door hinges.

There is a diagonal piece that is then welded to the top corner of this brace and runs down the inside of the door to the back corner. This is then welded to a flat piece of steel that is bolted to the bottom of the door, ( the whole length of the door) holding the back edge of the door up so it cannot sag.

Before I read this article, I had already taken my doors apart and rewelded the hinges to the doors as they were loose. I will probably take out the partial assembly I made and just go with it the way it came originally. It's not like I will be opening and shutting those doors a zillion times anyway.

Tom

Guest mitch lojek

tom,

I hope you can find and post the article. I noticed that the space is wider on the top hinge between the door and post than on the bottom hinge.is this the same problem you had? when the door is closed I can see daylight thru the top space.

mitch

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mitch lojek

for anyone that wants to repair a sagging door on their car,there is a very good article in the sept.-oct.2006 edition of the TWOTZ on how to do this that was brought to my attention by CECIL.

I will be giving it a try.

mitch