Who Owns A Metz?

Guest Mochet

Guest VeloMan

Years back, there was a Metz Register but this apparently no longer exists. If anyone reading this notice has a Metz or knows of one, perhaps they could contact the Waltham Museum (via the Metz website) or me and we can get a list together. Someday, parts and literature may be available, and we could help each other with our cars.

Phil Jamison

A friend of mine was just at the Don Garlits Museum in Ocala Florida and said there were two Metz cars there. Not sure, from his description, of years or models. He has photos and I will try to send them when I get them. I checked the Garlits website, but not photos are posted there yet.

Is there any Metz Car Club?

Guest VeloMan

No, there is no Metz Club that I know of. There was a Metz Register in the '60s but that project was dropped. A fellow told me there was a local Metz Club in Maryland in the '80s. The Metz web page (which just started last month) was mentioned earlier. This is run by the Waltham Museum (the Metz was made in Waltham, MA). Maybe a club will form some day! There are a surprising number of surviving Metz cars. Most all are the Model 22, 25 and earlier. The later 6-cylinder models are rare.

I'm still looking for someone who's restored a Metz.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Phil I bought what I belive is a 1909 Metz. I was told it came out of an estate in CA & went to Weston OR & then to Coos Bay

OR & now to Pendleton OR. The car is missing some parts but is

a driver.

Jim Swearingen

Guest VeloMan

Sounds interesting, Jim. This would probably be a "Plan Car" (the one sold in kit form) with a 2-cylinder engine. Any photos?

Phil

Guest VeloMan

I wrote to the Garlits Museum in Ocala, FL and was pleased to recieve a response from Don Garlits himself. Seems he has two Metz cars in the museum; a 1914 Model 22 Foredoor and a 1913 Special Roadster. He sent me some photos, and I forwarded them to the Waltham Museum to be put on their Metz page (http://metzauto.wordpress.com/).

Phil

• 3 years later...
Guest indianbob

Hi Phil,

I recently purchased a 1912 metz model 22 in Nova Scotia, Canada. This cars running gear all seems original, but most of the body has been copied and fabricated. It runs well, but is missing the belly pan and chain guards. I would like to find out if anyone either has templates for these parts, or is reproducing them.

Any help would be appreciated. In the meantime, please add me to your Metz roster.

Thanks

Bob

Join the Metz Forum on Yahoo. I have patterns for the transmission cover. Perhaps another member can supply the belly pan design to you. Send me a Private Message for more info. (click my name). Also, check my Metz restoration blog here.

Phil

• 5 months later...

Coming to this late I see. I have a 1915 Model 22 (Jerry Alexander). Plus Io know a gentleman in Momence, IL who has 2 Metz, a 1913 Torpedo and a 19?? Model 25. I am not sure I can give you his name without his permission. I will send you a personal email with that information on it. He is the person that donated a motor cover to me to use as a prototype to be copied in building a cover for my car. He is a real nice guy.Jerry

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have recently purchased a 1913 Metz that is completely disassembled. As with most projects it is missing some parts and have duplicates of others. It is missing a radiator, gas tank, top bows and other misc parts. Included with the car is an original factory parts list with illustrations which is extremely helpful. I have been in contact with others on this site who have posted their restoration progress. They have given me the motivation to complete this car. Wayne

Guest sayulero
Got gas lights and the gas generator? I could use a generator for my '15 Model 22.

I only have the engine. "METZ" on the aluminum head...cast aluminum pan....bolt on magneto...some

ford T engine internals...

Guest sayulero

I can check to see--it is in storage at my warehouse. I am hoping to find someone who might need the whole engine to complete a project. This engine had been used to operate some piece of farm equipment and eventually found its way into a scrap yard. I would consider trading for some model T speed parts or other T stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Boy, Phil, I am really late in posting a response to your question about whether or not the '15 Model 22 had electric lights. For sure mine does not. In fact there is nothing, other than the magneto, that is electric on this car. In fact there are no gauges, either. I thought, due to my car, none of the Model 22's had gauges, electric anything and certainly not electric starters. I have a crank start. For a soon to be a 101 year old car she runs pretty good. That is other than up hills. 

Jerry

Metz promises to award $1,000 to any Metz owner who cannot make it up a hill, Jerry.

Franklin Tucker says an electric package (headlights, horn, starter, tail light) were an option in the 1915 Model 22 fore door, increasing the price to $600. Later in 1915, the new Model 25 had the electric parts standard.

Phil

• 3 months later...

September 10, 2016

So where do I get the $1,000.00? ;-)  In truth I have closed the distance between the pulley and metal drive wheel (as advised by a fellow Metz owner) and that helped considerably. However, if I get stopped on an incline the car will not go forwad unless some helpful person gives it a push to get it going. That causes me to wonder if the metal wheel needs to be refreshed to give it more bite. I have gad the pulley completely restored at Columbia, TN. Any helpful thoughts?

Jerry

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

doing some looking around I found some advertising and now i'm not sure about the year of my car. some of the paperwork says it may be a 1911. Can't find any ID tags anywhere on the car. hey Lovetowrench, i'm still looking for tour message to me about muffler parts. I am REALLY bad on the computer.

Hi folks

My Metz is a 1914  Metz 22  i have a Torpedo tub that came with it, not sure if going to use it, sometimes I like the style, other times I ponder the question.

Have thoughts if a 1915 model with doors came to light may use the Torpedo tub on it, I think it suits the style more.

If a  Plan Car came to light that would be interesting

There are not a lot of Metz in OZ

Regards Dave

Hello Everyone,

I am happy to join this conversation. I purchased a 1914 Metz Model 22  about a year and a half ago. It is an older restoration. The colors are wrong (apparently the restorer liked yellow) but the car is reasonably complete and mostly correct.  The engine number is 28284. 

I come from the Ford Model T world, so this is not my first rodeo. I will confess that learning to drive this car has been interesting,  and that was something which I wanted to experience when I got my second brass era car. 

I am hoping to drive my Metz to the Annual Gathering at the museum in Waltham in July.

Best Regards,

Bill Harper

Keene, New Hampshire

102_4360a.jpg

0625171901a.jpg

102_3882a.jpg

197f9f3b-af9f-44e5-98af-7212aeb6b37a.jpg

102_3274.JPG

• Like 1

hey luv2wrench, been trying to e-mail you but my computer says failure every time I try.

I'm pretty sure I wrote your address down correctly but I've been wrong before. Could you 

please put it in again for me?                                            thank-you

Rick

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 1914 Metz Model 22 Speedster. It is from my late Father-in-Law's collection. The car was acquired in 1972 and restored in 1997. The car is for sale. If you are interested or just have questions you can respond to me here. I'll also post on the Facebook page.

Pat

1914 metz2.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

Hi Pat - Very nice Speedster. I am keeping a list of cars as I come across them, would you happen to know the motor number of this car? I'd like to add it to my list and see if I might have any history on the car. 

• 4 months later...