Anybody put an aftermarket suroof on there cars???

Guest craig hewitt

Dave,

What did you do about the headliner? Since the normal headliner shell has the two headroom indentations with the ridge in the center, seems to me that you'd either need to get an original Reatta headliner with sunroof opening, or do some rework on the standard one, or it might look strange.

I've considered a sunroof myself, but do worry a lot about leakage and the resulting damage it will cause. Also uncomfortable with compromising the roof sheet metal, seems you can never be sure the install was done 100% right, and may end up with rust damage to the surrounding panel.

I guess I should also ask, has anyone replaced the original factory sunroof on their car with an after market glass panel unit? Curious to know if this has ever been done and what the results were.

KDirk

The shop that did mine [Ericksons Auto Trim] has an outstanding reputation, not only in my area but they have another shop in southern Wisconsin that is used by car dealers for ant aftermarket installation.

I did not ask him what he would do to my headliner, but he must have done something because of the way the factory headliner is made. It turned out well and I am very happy with it.

I was at a dealer and they were installing a sunroof.The guy was cutting away and he made a mess of the inside.Did not put a blanket over the seats.I asked him why he did not cover them ,I WAS NOT TOLD TOO ?

Dave,

If you get a chance and have to capability to do so, some pics would be great. I am curious to see how they handled this.

NEMO -

Yeah. That's why I do all work on my cars myself. I've seen stuff like that, and thought I'd kill the goof that did it if that were my car. The only exception on this rule would be paint work, as I don't have the proper facilities for that.

There are too many shady outfits around who can't be trusted to use common sense when doing work on a car.

KDirk