trunk will not open

Guest daveagain909

Guest daveagain909

I was climbing around in my trunk to replace a bulb in the center brake light. now I can not get the trunk to open with either the key in back nor with the opener switch in glove compartment, I do not have a remote for this car. does anyone have any Idea what to do? Is there a specific fuse for this or did I just disconnect some wire?(if I disconnected some wire I do not see it). This is in a onvertible and I have to open the convertible deck to get into deck. Please help.

Guest daveagain909

I was able to climb into trunk from opened convertible top lid and open trunk with manual switch. But need to get electric 0pener to work so I can use trunk. please help.

Guest mounthopewalt

The Reatta trunk release is electromechanical.

When you turn the trunk key, do you hear the solenoid click as it activates, and releases the truck latch? If not, you may have loosened a wire on the solenoid connector. It's either a wiring issue or a faulty solenoid. Applying 12V to the solenoid will determine it's condition.

There is a mini relay center in front of the convertible right rear tire hump. since it will not work either way, you start by listening to see if the relay picks.

If the relay works the problem is somewhere between the relay and the solenoid.

Guest jamhudson

Try grounding the trunk lid. I have a wire with aligator clips on each end grounding mine now. Got to make it more better than that one day. LOL Find some unpainted places to ground.

Guest daveagain909

trunk light was not replaced. the tonneau cover was closed, I tried just now to reground the trunk lid to the body by adding a wire to one of the bolts on the trunk that had a ground lock washer (star washer) to the trunk lid with no success. then after closing the trunk and retrying the switch in the glove compartment it worked, I think it may be working now because I retightened the bolt on the existing ground on the latch. I hope it continues working, it has worked 2 times now. I REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHY IT IS WORKING NOW...

Guest jamhudson

You said you retightened the bolt on the existing ground on the latch? I have been wondering if there was a existing ground anyplace. I need to check both ends of that ground wire. Was it black.

Guest daveagain909

I finally think I figured out the problem which seems to be fixed now. I think when I was in the trunk removing the center brake lite to replace a bulb I must have touched or moved the linkage for the tonneau cover disengage mechanism. and the computer( or whatever it is ) thought the toneau was open and would not let me open the trunk. then after opening and closing the trunk using the manual red lever in trunk it finally figured out it was closed.