Has anyone ever converted the 88 switch panel to a 89?

Guest CL_Reatta

Guest CL_Reatta

Am curious as to if anyone has ever used the switch assembly from an 88 (the one that controls the fuel door, glove box, trunk, etc.) and put it into an 89. Seems the wiring would be fairly simple except for the glove box. How is the glove box door actuated in an 88?

These are the buttons under the cassette. 88 has five (foglight, gas door, trunk release, glove box, & headlight retract, 89 has two (foglight and lamp retract ?). 90-91 have none. 89-91 have gas door and trunk release in glove box & a manual catch. 88 uses a solenoid to release the glove box door. This is part of what I meant by "decontenting".

Would really like to put an 88 glove box door on my 90, is a pain to have to reach over & lock/unlock every time I want to add gas or park with the top down & miss the "lamp retract" when working on the headlights.

Guest CL_Reatta

^

Yes I know... and since I am looking at 88's and 89's... I figure that if I can get a 89, and put those switches in it, it would be nice (I HATE opening up the glove box every time to open the fuel or trunk, so one of the reasons I dont want an 89 unless I can do that)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just unplug the antenna at the relay. </div></div>

i have an inno which means i use it at home,in the car,and while out walking the dog so i need to be able to use the fm radio in case i forget to bring the satelite radio.

I retrofitted the '88 remote glovebox and center console switches to my old '89. Not particularly difficult, you just have to fabricate your own harness to reroute the circuitry to the new switch location(s).

Funny thing, I now have an '88 which came with this setup factory, and I find it really annoying that the buttons don't work when the car is off as I had gotten used to being able to operate 'em at any time, less secure I know, but convenient.

Guest CL_Reatta

Hmmm, did not know they only worked when the car is running.... but couldn't one just run the main power to the switched to come from a 24 hour power source?

Guest spyhunter2k

DTakas-nice to hear from you! Did you get the PM I sent last December? PM me your email address and I'll send you the details I have so far.