1936 straight six parts

Guest floivanus

Guest floivanus

I've got a 1936 pontiac with a straight six, the original motor only has two issues, I need the center main caps, and a replacement cam timing gear. My fiance recently lost her job and money is very tight for us right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Those are tough parts to find NOS. Street rodders are probably the best source - someone who has pulled the engine and replaced it with a V8. An ad in Hemmings might find you what your need. Good luck.

What body style is your car? Post a pic or two if you have them.

Guest floivanus

I'm not really worried about NOS, a used and slightly worn cam gear or main cap doesn't really worry me. Just trying to feel if someone here has a donor motor that I could get harvested for me. I'll try the hemmings idea sometime soon.

I don't have pics of the car as of right now.

Guest Arniland

Floivanus,

I don't think that you should have too much trouble finding used parts. A few thoughts if I might.

First off, you don't state in your profile where you are. This might bring an invitation to drop by from someone local.

Secondly, I would encourage you to join other early Pontiac owners. The Early Times Pontiac folks which to which Bob and I belong has over 300 members who own Pontiacs made in 1954 or earlier. The six you have was produced in various forms from 1935 through 1954. There were changes and I am on the road away from my parts books, so I cannot check the range of years which might help you.

As Bob suggested, the street rodders often pulled the sixes to put in V-8s. These engines should not go for too much if you can find a local street rodder with one.

Arn

Guest floivanus

I'm in laporte county indiana.

I've actually been somewhat actively looking for the parts I need for the last 8-10 months, I can't seem to find any straight six engine parts in my area.

• 1 year later...
Guest BCMINNC

I just quoted the 1936 straight 6 engine and Transmission this morning for $500.00. I am not sure this was a reasonable price or not. If I insulted him it was not on purpose. I figured that if people needed main bearing caps and willing to pay 200.00 then why not buy the entire engine for $500.

I also just found out all my messages were getting spam filtered so that problem is now fixed. I am a much better mechanic than PC forum operator!

I have the innerds of a 40 Pontiac 6 engine in my garage. There are three things to consider. 1. will the 40 parts fit your 36? 2. these are used parts and I really do not know the quality of them. 3. there is no way I can get to them until spring when I take my car out of storage. The plus side is that I live in Chicago and if I remember my geography LaPorte is not all that far away. It would be nice if you had your parts in hand to compare. So if you still have not found anything by next April, let me know.

• 12 years later...
On 11/1/2010 at 3:11 PM, Guest BCMINNC said:

Why don't you buy my engine. It ran fine when it was removed for a rod project.

post-71265-143138340926_thumb.jpg

post-71265-143138340963_thumb.jpg

post-71265-143138340998_thumb.jpg

post-71265-143138341039_thumb.jpg

do you happen to have the orginal wheels? some were 16" artillery others were 16" wire wheels i'm lokoing for 16" wire wheels but will be ok with artilleries as well for my 35