how to add power steering to 1952 Chieftain

WalkerP

Guest Pete Woodruff

The best way is to find a '53 or '54 donor car and remove everything. Is it safe to assume your '52 is a Hydra-matic car? If so, your donor car should be the same, for ease of swapping. I've never checked to see if any of the other GM cars used the same steering gear, but certainly the steering pump mounting brackets will be unique to the Pontiac eight.

Pete,

Thanks so much for your help. I apologize, I'm doing research for a friend and I don't know much about his car. I think the Hydra-Matic is a safe assumption...

Would you suggest a source for remanufactured parts we could use for this job?

Guest Pete Woodruff

I'm not aware of any remanufactured parts that exist for this application, although all I've been searching for have been new hoses. I don't believe you will find anything outside of the swap meet venues. In '53 there were 2 distinct types of steering pump, the rotor pump was released first, followed by the vane-type. The vane-type carried into '54 and the rotor was dropped. The steering gear remained the same. I don't have parts books other than for Pontiac, so I don't know what Olds, Buick and Cadillac may have used. Chevrolet combined the pump with the generator, and this was presumably unique to them.

Guest palosfv3

I have a rebuilt power steering gearbox and pump assy with all hoses and brackets to fit 54 Chevrolet with a 216 6 cylinder. Had it rebuilt and drove only a month or so before the pitarm arm gave out. It needs a new pitman arm. If this works for your application drop me a note.