Carter Carb

Guest hekay

Can anyone tell what Chryslers this carburetor fits. It has the anti-stall magneic lockout and kick down limit switch to be used with fluid drive or prestomatic transmissions. It apears to be NOS. I have no use for and would like to sell it. Thanks

post-51268-143138046034_thumb.jpg

post-51268-14313804607_thumb.jpg

post-51268-143138046103_thumb.jpg

G'day........that carb is a Carter BB off a 1946-1948 Chrysler C38 (6 cylinder 251 cid) It was used with the hydraulic semi automatic gearbox hence the anti stall and throttle kick down switch in the carb.

When you compare the results of the Google search suggested by dep5 with the photograph originally posted, you get an interesting puzzle. The carburetor charts from the Google search mostly indicate that the Carter 629S is for a 1941 DeSoto. However, that model didn't have the magnetic lockout that's clearly visible in the original poster's photo.

A Yahoo search turned up a Carter 629S for sale on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1941-DeSo...9QQcmdZViewItem

The picture of the Ebay Carter 629S shows no magnetic lockout solenoid.

The magnetic lockout in the original poster's photo has two electrical terminals, indicating that it is intended for use with the M6 (1949-1953) hydraulically-operated transmission. The earlier M5 (1946-49) transmission has a slightly different electrical control system and the Carter carbs for those cars have only one terminal on the magnetic lockout solenoid. [The other end of the solenoid winding is connected to ground.]

Maybe some parts from different Carter BB carbs got combined into this one?

Doug

• 2 years later...
Guest Carlos Dedekind
Can anyone tell what Chryslers this carburetor fits. It has the anti-stall magneic lockout and kick down limit switch to be used with fluid drive or prestomatic transmissions. It apears to be NOS. I have no use for and would like to sell it. Thanks

Hi There I'm interested in the Carb. Gave me a good price.

my email is: carloswdedekind@yahoo.com

My phone is: 00297-567-9146

I'm located in Aruba. Dutch Caribbean.

Is there a phone number I can call you ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mjames

Cb is correct in that it is a carter BB. I have the same carb on my 52 chrysler windsor. It works with the Fluid matic.

In my 51-52 shop manual it shows the carb# as E9A1 which is equipped with a kickdown switch and the magnetically-controlled dashpot(slow closing throttle), is used with the Fluid-Matic trans.

You should be able to find the carb# on the other side of where it is marked "MFD. by carter"

post-70014-143138512721_thumb.jpg

Edited by mjames (see edit history)

It's a 41 DeSoto with a incorrect 1949 and up anti stall solenoid installed on the carb top. 1946-8 Chrysler use a wedge type carb top for the air cleaner . 1942 and older as I recall use carb tops as shown with the straight vertical top for the air cleaner .