Vintage Stewart warner tan face gauge

Guest Old Parts Kid

• 2 weeks later...

Could this be an engine hour equivalent from something like a fire truck pumper of the 20's. Or it may be aircraft, as they may have wanted to keep record of how long it had run at rated speed equivalent. I guess it was important to rebuild at appropriate interval lest you succumb to gravity. This is only guesswork, as I have never seen one before. Ivan Saxton

A lot of farm tractors and construction equipment have RPM/ hour meters similar to these. And yes, they are used to keep track of service intervals on such equipment. These examples were most likely used in heavy trucks as the odometer is marked as "Motor Miles" rather than "Hours". Most likely gas powered trucks from the late 30's, thru the 40's and 50's, as the early Diesels rarely run over 1,900 RPM. 2,100 was pushing it. The red Hands are power curve limits and act as a guide of when to shift to a higher or lower gear. Dandy Dave!

Guest Old Parts Kid

WOW!

Dave, Jim, and Ivan,

Its info like this that makes me love this site and appreciate the people within it. Thanks for the great info and good pictures. In my searches I am coming across more heavy truck stuff. Is there any market or want for these items?

Thanks !!

they must have had some kind of distributor drive (like the Corvettes did), there is only a mechanical connection on the back.

not to hijack the thread, but WHAT would it have come in? a bus? A Mack truck (or some other make?) Military? the brass tag says do not remove. What are they worth?

Jim, your tach is not military, more likely an industrial application. The good thing is that because it's a cable drive it can be adapted to vehicle use, or re-faced and re-calibrated to higher rpm or even speedometer. It's the same needle that SW used on their Police speedos of the forties-fifties. They came with a curved lens originally. Usually they don't want you to remove the tag because it lists the factory 2:1 or whatever calibration spec.

I had a 1939 Mack Model BM that was converted into a wrecker one time that had one. I also had a friend that had Some old 1950's Allis Chalmers "Rock wagons." These were like a Scrapper/ Pan, but with a dump body. Basically Quarry Trucks. Road tractors would also have had them as well as other over the road trucks. I'm sure there is a market for them as old trucks have a rather large following. I'm not sure what they would be worth though??? cool.gif Dandy Dave!