1917 Dodge Touring car

Adamant

Hi. I have found a 1917 Dodge Brothers Touring Car that has no serial numbers. These cars are supposed to have a number on the passengers side of the frame near the aft side of the front wheel hump. It also should have a plate on the upper toe board in the cab. I have seen other cars with the plate and in this car there is no evidence of there ever having been a plate riveted to this board, yet the board appears to be original.

On the engine there is a machined nub centered near the top of the block just under the head where the serial number is supposed to be stamped, yet there is no stamp.

My question is, were there prototype cars that were made to incorporate modifications that were not numbered because the modification had not been proven? Any information would be helpful.

I won't be able to get back to the car for a few days so i can't answer these questions except the frame which I did slightly sand looking for the number. I've checked a friend's car and know where to look except for the passenger seat location. I'll check it out as soon as I can. Thanks.

Gee West, Don't you know it is not nice to tease these guys! It seems to me that the army, ever since the it's beginings, have had a number for everything! I just cannot see where they would leave it off of these Dodge cars. If someone went A wall and stole one, How would they ever trace it. It just ain't like Our Old Uncle Sam. crazy.gif Dandy Dave!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adamant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can picture now is a person on the assembely line like "Radar" taking home one part at a time before it got stamped.</div></div>

Sounds more like something Hawkeye would do.