'64 Wildcat Convert. Dual Quad 4 speed

Guest Tom

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but Volo Auto Museum in IL has this car on consignment. Car is in North Dakota.They have it listed on Hemmings.com and autotraderclassics.com. Is there something odd about the VIN tag on this car, or is it just me?

>>>>>64 Wildcat<<<<<

post-30632-14313804467_thumb.jpg

Hiya Tom-looks like a rusty sheet metal screw run through the tag to me-probably years ago. My cars are '65 and newer with the full VIN on the plate-is this similar to your '63? A car for $55k needs way more pics than this and the lack of detailing evident around the tag??-but typical of the disconnect between price/condition that I've seen listed there/Duffy's/auctions-oh well...

Tom, the VIN tag is about 4" lower than where it should be and has an obvious screw in it. According to my 64 which I just looked at, the VIN should be spot-welded on the flat area just above the courtesy light button, whereas this one is below the button on an area that is not very flat. The car is a Flint car, so at least that is one thing in it's favor to being a real-deal.

Another thing odd is the air cleaner snorkels are in the wrong place. When on the motor correctly, the driver's side snorkel should point almost directly to the center of the driver's inner fender, and the right snorkel should point right at the outlet on the upper radiator tank. Either the aircleaner is on the carbs wrong just for the photo (so the snorkels look symmetrical), or the bottom of the cleaner has been changed so it does not have the off-set look they did from the factory. Judging by the chrome water crossover/thermostat tube, chrome fan guard, and chrome alternator bracket, it is possible the air cleaner was just modified.

I also noticed the top of the console in front of the shifter is covered in what looks to be black puffy vinyl, the chrome litter box door and tach plate are covered. Strange.

Sure would be worth checking out, though. Don't see these very often, and if it is a real-deal, what a cool car.

Matt

Guest imported_Thriller

Neat car...and right next door.

For $55k, I would expect more - more and better photos, nicer details (like the grill in the rear seat for instance). When those little things make you wonder, I just begin to think the price is high.

Great car with a lot of significance and rarity.

It appears that someone put the air cleaner housing off of a Chevy 409 dual quad engine on it, then used the correct Buick lid on it. The 409 2x4 air cleaner housing is just like the Buick, except it is assembled with the snorkles in the symmetrical orientation you see in the picture. Use the same air filter too. The lid on a 409 air cleaner is smooth instead of stepped like the Buick, but you can use the lids interchangeably.

The reason the snorkles on the correct Buick air cleaner point off in crazy directions is because the drivers side snorkle on the 409 air cleaner blocks the oil fill, and the one on the passenger side interferes with the AC compressor. This car doesn't have AC, so they got away with it.

They are selling provenance and rarity. Plus a sellers commission in the likely $20,000 range. I know I know it's a 4 speed with 2x4 and posi but still.

Why would you purposely include a shot of a drilled back on VIN tag and in the wrong spot?

I agree the puffy console looks bad too. Details. Not work $55,000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom, the VIN tag is about 4" lower than where it should be and has an obvious screw in it. According to my 64 which I just looked at, the VIN should be spot-welded on the flat area just above the courtesy light button, whereas this one is below the button on an area that is not very flat. </div></div>

Matt, that is what I thought as well. I thought it would be the same as my '63 Electra, but wasn't sure. I'm not looking at buying this thing, but there sure are a lot of red flags on a car with an asking price of $55K that looks like it needs work. The vin tag would be a serious issue for me if I were interested in buying it. At least they could have put it in the right place. Makes you wonder why it was moved?

Guest Tri-shield

Tom,

I've seen original VIN tags poorly welded on, perhaps happened to this one, or it rusted off.

Overpriced for condition. Run away...far...far away.