Question about a 91 3800 rivera

Guest Bobby Valines

Guest Bobby Valines

I have a friend here in south fl. that goes up north for the summer. He had a 91 Rivera last year when he left,he came back with another car. When I ask him where his rivera was, he told me. The motor (91 38000 85,000) has a ticking noise at idle that goes away when driving. He took it to a mechanic that told him that it needs the motor rebuilt. I told him about the on line reatta club I'm in, and told him how good, and smart everyone here is, and that you might be able to help. He had the harmonic balancer replaced. Was hoping to get some input from here. Thank you for any advice that you can give.

He needs to find another mechanic that will properly diagnose the engine and give him an accurate report on what is causing the noise and what is needed to fix it. Any mechanic who just listens to an engine and says "new engine" is only hearing dollar signs jingling in his pockets.

Somebody needs to use a stethoscope, lots of things can cause a "ticking" including a "new" balancer or bad plug wire. For a start, is the ticking at engine speed or half ? Louder at one end or the middle ? Run in a dark night with the hood up to see if anything is arcing ? Is ED17 (OLDPA3) incrementing ?

Come by Orlando and we'll take a look, am about three miles from where I-4 crosses the turnpike.

Guest Bobby Valines

He did not bring the car back to Fl. He said it only ticks at idle. I just cant believe it needs a hole engine rebuild at 85,000 mi. Wanted you to confirm my thoughts before I tell him that I think he needs a new mechanic not a new engine. This revera is what inspired me into buying a reatta.

Bobby,

Also, have your friend join the Riviera Owners Association and the Buick Club of America...loads of skilled and experienced people in these clubs that love to have their brains picked.

If it has not been drastically overheated or run out of oil or had sand poured ito various orifaces, it is unlikely to need a rebuild.

More likely it is something simple. What is the oil pressure reading at idle ? Has this been going on since the balancer was replaced ? If so I wonder if one of the shutters was bent a little, enough to just touch the edge of the sensor.

Guest Bobby Valines

He told me that he has always took good care of his car and jugging from the out side I believe him. Never over heated always changed oil. When I see him I will tell him that we here do agree on him getting a new mechanic and and it is unlikely to need a rebuild. Ill ask him about the oil pressure and balancer. Want to thank every one once again for all the help. There's not much we can do to help him when the cars way up north some where.