OK, Stupid Questions Time

72caddy

So I need to ask some questions about my 1919 Touring that I can't seem to find in my manuals.

1. Did these cars have 'brake' lights or is the tail light just a 'running' light?

2. Located and purchased and robe rail for my car but I'm having trouble finding the right size fasteners. I have tried 10-24, 10-32, 1/4(to big) and then went metric (6mm) and the diameter seems correct but the thread spacing seems to be the issue.

Any advice is appreciated.

They did not have a brake light. You can have a brake light by adding a late model brake switch and then either putting a resistor in the light to dim it or putting a twin filament bulb in and a second wire. I opted for the second option which involves swapping out the single point socket for a duel socket and running a second wire from the switch. The third way to to mount inertia brake lights from a motor cycle. I did this on my 1916 T which doesn't have a battery.

Hope this helps. I can furnish a wiring diagram if you need.

Jan

As Dave says they started using them in 1924 and you can use a switch from a 1924 for your car and mount it on the transmission. I have found that Model A switchs and switchs from modern motor cycles are easier to find and can be cheaper to use. I have a model A on my 24 Star and a Honda Motor Cycle switch on my 23 dodge.

Have a nice day

Jan

Thanks for the links and additional info. I am looking at the Model A switch and will probably go that route.

I currently use bicycle 'flasher' rear lights that all you have to do is push the button for it to come on and go off. They are LED, variable flash modes, and really get your attention. They are also removeable (clip-on) so easy pocketed.

Guest imouttahere

In 1924 California began requiring cars to have brake lights, and I think other states did so, too.

I've got a late '22 touring car that was purchased in California in 1923. The following year the original owner had the DB dealer install a brake light switch and the brake light that DB began selling in 1924, I think. I'm not sure if the switch itself was DB or aftermarket; I would have to get under the car to look. The switch is screwed to the underside of the rear floorboards and is connected to the brake linkage.

If there is any interest, I can post pictures of the switch and brake light.

I am interesed in seeing that but it more than anything tells me that it was indeed started in 24 since you confirm that .........switch and the brake light that DB began selling in 1924

When converting over a car that did not come with brake lights orignially it is important that there are three ways to achieve a rear brake light.

1. Put a resistor in the line which will dim the light and use the original socket. Roger Harley did a write up on this for the Dodge club.

2. Use the orignal tail light but change the bulb socket to a dual filament unit and run a second wire.

3. Use a later model tailight which was made for brake lights.

I use option 2 and normaly put a second tailight on the right side which allows me to install turn signals. If you are rewring I strongly recommend this option. You can also add accessory tailights and remove them when you want.

Just a bunch of thoughts from a senile old man.

Have a nice day.

Jan