Transmission Blowout!!! Possible Rebuild in the Works!

Guest jcrules78

Guest jcrules78

Last night was a true adventure! I had something between my engine and tranny blow out last night on a very dark desolate road. My car wouldn't shift out of 1st, so I pulled over and as soon as I stepped out of the car I smelt that ever so wonderful smell of burnt crayons. Tranny fluid everywhere, but especially down the left side of my car. I had it towed the seven miles to my abode and now the fun begins. Has anybody here rebuilt their 4T60-E with premium aftermarket parts (I'm talking Kevlar internals, upgraded torque converter, and the shift kit)? I'm seriously considering it. This small tranny shop in town has an awesome reputation for being totally stand up when it comes to their work, and they are looking for a decent project due to poorer-than-usual business during our country's economy woes. We haven't discussed it fully yet but Harlon thinks he can rebuild a 4T60-E with premium parts/torque converter/shift kit for 2,000 bucks including all parts and labor. Sound like a decent price? I was thinking of trying to talk him down about 300 bucks. I was also curious of what needs to be done to get all the sensors and ECM functioning correctly when a more powerfully built tranny and shift kit are thrown in the mix. Does the chip need to be reprogrammed to have everything be accurate?

JCRULZ

Guest CL_Reatta

Are you sure you didnt just blow a cooler line? just hook it back up and re-add some trans fluid, good chance it might work then.. if not well then it was worth the try to save $2k

Guest jcrules78

Would the tranny cooler be located right before the left tire close to the radiator? Because that is where the majority of my fluid has leaked over night now that I take a closer look.

Guest CL_Reatta

The trans cooler is located by the radiator yes, Not sure exactly where since I dont have a 91 (is it different than the 90?), but just follow the cooling lines.

Both transmission cooling lines make the bend to the radiator at the driver's side lower corner of the radiator, and then attach to the passenger side of the radiator coolant tank. Look straight down from the radiator cap.

It sounds like one of the lines split where the rubber hose is pressure fitted to the steel line.

If that's what happened, I agree with Brian. New hose (replace them both), add fluid, and you should be good to go.

Guest jcrules78

Wow, you guys hit the nail on the head. I reached down to the tranny cooler lines right at that bend where the rubber and the steel meet and the hose was completely severed. I originally hadn't got a chance to look at the car today, I had it towed last night and put it in the garage. I started making some early calls to my mechanic looking for good tranny shops and happened to start discussing rebuilding the tranny before I got the chance to diagnose the car. I guess I may be a little too eager to find an excuse to beef up the internals in my tranny (I hope to do this in the future possibly). For now, I will definitely opt to pay the low cost of a simple cooler line replacement over a complete rebuild! Thanks guys.

JCRULZ

PS Hopefully none of the internals suffered damage while the tranny was running with a low fluid level. I didn't drive it long after the engine started to hit 3000-4000 RPMS. I didn't hear any tell-tale clanks and crunches of tranny failure, so hopefully things are still solid.

If you can't find replacement hoses take the old hoses w/fittings to an industrial hydraulics hose shop, they should be able to crimp new hoses onto the existing fittings.

Guest SwiftBuicks

By the way, two grand for a trainee rebuild sounds like the standard price. I had a '95 Century rebuilt for that a few years ago.