1963 Riviera Front Seatbelt Buckles

Jim Cannon

If you have a '63 Riviera, I would like to get from you a picture of one of your front seatbelts (buckle and tab, not fastened). I'd like to see how many different styles are out there.

If you know for a fact that your seatbelts are NOT original to the '63 (you put in later model belts because you prefer the looks) then please don't send me a picture. I am trying to establish what the original belts/buckles looked like.

Send you photos to me at: 63Riv at comcast dot net

Thanks!

Jim,

Living in the frozen wasteland of MInnesota, my 63's will be in storage until late March/early April. My blue car is VERY original and non-molested. The seat belt buckle is chrome with a raised "V" that comes from the front center toward the rear of of the buckle. The male end is a sort of squared off "horse shoe". Line the small end of the "V" on the buckle up with the horse shoe opening on the male portion and click them together. I hope someone has a picture, cuz my description is pretty lame!

Tim

• 2 months later...

Jim,

Attached are photos of the belts in my '63. They're not listed on the window sticker, but the original owner had them installed at the dealership so I imagine that they're some sort of "factory" item.

Ed

Jim,

No retractor. The buckle side of the belt goes though a pair of sandwiched metal brackets that each have a bolt hole and two rectangular cut outs. It goes though through both back cut outs then back throuh only the front cut out on the top one. When the bolt is tightened into the nut under the floor pan, the belt is clamped down. Sort of like your old D-ring belt you wore in your hippy days.

There is a tightening mechanisn in the buckle that allow you to cinch the belt when you fasten it. The entire face of the buckle is a quick release handle like the kind that are on airline seat belts.

If you'd like, I can send you pictures of this other stuff too.

Ed

Jim-My 63 is very original and very skanky looking right now...but that's another story. My belts are exactly like Ed's. No retractor, which is a problem because they often fall out of the car when the door opens. Also, the webbing is a turquoise/blue color. Hope that helps. PRL

Guest Buick Bonery

Jim, the only 63 belts I've seen in my yard are the V shaped ones described above. All of my 63s have them, even the Skylarks, and I have not seen that style in any other year.