70 Electra Convt Map Light

jaxops

I installed an NOS map light to replace mine that had the light bulb and connector broken during restoration. I soldered the power wire to the brass tip, and it has power but when I put it in the mirror, the light doesn't work. How far down does it go? I don't think the plastic holder for the insert socket comes out because that's how they broke my old map light. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

That wouldn't help unless for some reason the ground has been compromised at either of those points. I imagine a small bit of rust in either of these points could cause loss of ground. But I suspect that if you found a burned out bulb after trying several times to turn the light on, then the tang that comes in contact with the ground on the switch either bent, and no longer makes contact, or broke alltogether.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was able to get the switch control cover off and see if the light bulb was getting power....it is. The bulb may be blown, and I have a spare bulb with the correct metal half-sheath around it.

The new question is, what is the procedure to remove the bulb without damaging the connections and the light unit? Does anyone know?

I figured out how to disassemble it.

First the lense cover comes off prying one end up carefully. Then the switch assembly is removed by squeezing the 2 sides slightly together to free the clips and it slides out. The light bulb is hung on 2 metal prongs.

Although I was able to change the light bulb with a new one, I still have a ground problem which I will continue to research.

• 2 years later...
Guest silhouette57

hi,i have the same electra combo and came accoss your old thread. i finally gave up on the map light and installed another setup inside it to a hidden switch . i get ten times the light which basically was my beef. by the time you get done with the pia you have a bulb thats too dim to see with. marty 70 electra motor redone by scotty g with ta parts and 290-94h cam , edelbrock,holly,msd ,inteerior redone as all suspension replaced/added cruise,power trunk,rh mirror pdl and a few other goodies 415/538 on the dyno though can quickly be returnd to original......what a ride on cruise