Starting 1917 Olds after 21 Years

abockex

Looks like the first thing you will need to do is check for old fuel in the fuel tank and drain that if it was not done when it was parked. If it was not drained, then most likely the vacumm fuel pump will be gumed up and also the carburetor. Next I would see if you have spark. I'm assuming that the motor turns over. Make sure it it turns before you do anything, A car that early should have a hand crank. Get a good battery turn on the ignition and see that you have spark by pulling the distributor cap and braking the points. The high tension wire from the coil should throw a nice blue spark at least a half an inch long. It is not uncommon for the points to be oxadized. You may need to clean them. It would be a good idea to put a few shots of oil down in the cylinders also and check all the oil levels in the motor, transmission, and rearend. Be sure you have coolant in the radiator. Make sure the valves aren't stuck and all move. Try these for starters and report back on your findings. We will carry on from there. Sounds like a neat old car. smile.gif Dandy Dave!

Guest ZondaC12

I didnt do much more than change the oil soak the cylinders in oil for a few days and throw gas down the carb after this '38 sat in a garage for 25 years, and not a GREAT one at that, not exactly the best protection from moist air is what im getting at etc etc. All has been fine I suppose but I wish I had done more. I was 16 then and just insane I still am, I'd like to think Ive gained some wisdom now that Im almost legal to consume alcohol, but probably not. But I wish I had gone through even more just to be sure.

I vote go through EVERYTHING short of friggin' actually tearing parts off, going into the block. Whatever Dandy Dave said, didnt read it all before making this. Pull the oil pan and clean it til you can eat off it haha. As well as anything in the crankcase you can see garbage on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the Forum, is this a 6 cylinder or V8? </div></div>

I worked on one of those early V8 Oldsmobile engines a number of years back. It was a very smooth running engine. I think it was a 1915, or there about.

cool.gif Dandy Dave!