Sign in to follow this  
Bob Mondi

1936 -40 series second gear...popping out

Hi,I'm a new member here and find this site very educational.Now for my problem,I have a 1936 40series sedan.I have had no problem with the gears until 2nd just popped out one day.When holding it in 2nd it is trying to "worm" it's way out of gear.Any suggestions? any help would be appreciated,thank you, Bob

Benefits of AACA Membership.

The only "solution" is new gears and bearings.

Perhaps new bearings or adjusting the shift fork (bending, not recommended) would help but it would be a band aid fix. Perhaps easing the pain for a while but not curing the patient.

The teeth, detents and springs are all worn. New is the only fix. Used gear for second and new springs and balls in the detents would perhaps keep it from jumping out of gear but you would most likley not like the increased noise in second gear (caused by mis-matched gears).

Thank you.I checked e bay and the only gear i saw was for a series 60,80,90.Will this fit my 40 series? Thanks,Bob

Dear Bob:

Short answer on fit: NO. Trannys for big series cars are completely different.

Regards, Dave Corbin

I don't want to oversimplify, but check bellhousing bolts and other tranny mounts. A loose transmission will pop out of second. Also worn shifter arms (the internal piece, name won't come to me), but that seems to be common in "side shift" column shift transmissions.

Guest Art  Williams

I just had a bowse thru' Bob's Automobilia catalogue and there's detent springs in there that they say 'If they are weak can cause popping out of gear'. Worth looking at.

Art

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Faust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to oversimplify, but check bellhousing bolts and other tranny mounts. A loose transmission will pop out of second. Also worn shifter arms (the internal piece, name won't come to me), but that seems to be common in "side shift" column shift transmissions. </div></div>

Shifting "fork" was the term I was looking for. I have seen these wear to the point that the gears were not fully engaged. This would cause the gears to 'walk" out of engagement. I just noticed your comment that you could feel it attempting to disengage while holding the lever.