Stuck for words

50jetback

Today the Perth based Buick Owners Club of Western Australia had it's annual Valentines Day breakfast run. We always meet at a picturesque spot nestled in park land by the Swan River which overlooks the city, always a pleasant morning.

This year Delys ( my wife ) couldn't come on the run due to another engagement.

The forecast was only a top temp of 35C and when leaving home it was probably in the mid 20's, absolutely perfect weather for a top down run in the 1934 Roadster into the city.

En-route I was receiving the usual waves and people pulling alongside for a closer look. I noticed a car with a female driver and a couple of kids giving the car a real going over and happened to get stopped next to it at a set of traffic lights. The following conversation took place between the female driver and myself.

" Excuse me, what sort of car is that? "

reply " It's a Buick "

" What year is it? "

reply " 1934. "

" Isn't it beautiful!! "

reply " Yes they used to build them with a bit of style in those days. "

" The only thing missing is a beautiful blond with red lipstick sitting in the passenger seat. "

reply " They're a bit hard to come by. "

With that the lights turned green and I moved on down the road. Some distance on I again got stopped at a red light and then heard someone running up to my car. To my surprise it was the woman I had been conversing with at the last light stop. She quickly handed me a piece of paper with a name and phone number and said:

" I don't know if your married or not but give her a ring - she's a friend and she's drop dead gorgeous!!! "

Well I can generally come up with a half clever answer but on this occasion all I could manage was a feeble " thanks. " Mercifully the lights changed to green and away I went. I noticed she was holding traffic up getting back into her car.

When I got to the Valentines Day breakfast I was still in shock and of course blurted out my experience. The comments from my Buick friends ranged from " what will Delys say? " , oh that means I have to tell her 'cause they are sure going to, to " well that puts the price of your Roadster up, I can see the advert now - 34 Buick Roadster Chick Magnet ".

Well there you have it, who said old blokes driving even older cars can't have much fun!!

Guess I had better throw away that name and phone number ( after I've shown it to the wife - she won't believe the story anyway and will probably remind me just how old I am next month!! )

Stuart,

For the Aussie <span style="font-weight: bold">SINGLE MALES </span>in the club you forgot one important thing in your post.........................

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">WHAT'S THE !*@@!* PHONE NUMBER !!!!!!</span></span>

I can't remember her phone number Brian , but her name is

LENA. I resisted the temptation to take the phone number even though the wife is incapacitated right now after an operation : and she must have lived close going on the area number wink.gif

Stuart, being an ex copper, you should have learnt to keep your mouth shut by now grin.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

Boy, Cupid was certainly giving it his best shot that day.

Oh, Delys will believe the story alright and no matter how you try to explain, you're in trouble unless you lie about your initial reply, " They're a bit hard to come by. ". I can hear Delys now, "YOU SAID WHAT??" followed by "and just when was the last time you were able to "come by" one.

One thing I bet though,that was the last time you won't have a beautiful (enter Delys hair color here) sitting beside you (closely)in the Roadster.

Good story Stuart, thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick840</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stuart,

For the Aussie <span style="font-weight: bold">SINGLE MALES </span>in the club you forgot one important thing in your post.........................

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">WHAT'S THE !*@@!* PHONE NUMBER !!!!!!</span></span>

</div></div>

Brian,

Have any Aussie single males you know who drive a red 1934 Buick Roadster send me a PM and I'll pass on the name and number.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick840</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well...............that's just being selfish grin.gif

What about Rick here in Vic with his 58 Limited Convertible?

Bigger is better isn't it? grin.gif </div></div>

Not sure I see the comparison. Wouldn't it be a bit hard for Ric to ring from Victoria?

The intro would have to be something like <span style="font-style: italic">" I'm a mate of the bloke driving the red 34 Buick roadster that your girlfriend gave your name and telephone number to because she thought you would look really good sitting in the passenger seat, but he's married, but I'm not, but I haven't got a red 34 Buick roadster, but I have got a grey 1958 Buick limited convertible, and a blue Buick Wildcat convertible - will I do, can we get together, and yes I am single, and available." </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question:</span> would a lady who really likes the classic lines of a mid 30's Roadster ( <span style="color: #FF0000">RED</span> ) also go for a late 50's aircraft carrier ( <span style="color: #333333">grey</span> ) ????

So Brian, the juries out and we will just have to see what the experts say ( rooster, Mr earl, thriller etc ).

Just to assist I have included a couple of photos for comparison!!

post-31244-143138044473_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138044476_thumb.jpg

Stuart,

Please forgive my ignorance of Australian geography. I don't know what regions all of you guys live in as far as mileage. I was asked today on the phone if I was affected by a tornado in Oklahoma.... 7 hours away. I would like to say, however that a pretty blonde with red lipstick would look just fine in either car. Perhaps her dress/ shoe/ accessory choices would be different for a 30's roadster vs. a late 50's aircraft carrier but mates of a bloke need to (in American-ese) ... "Help a brother out!" grin.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50jetback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure I see the comparison. Wouldn't it be a bit hard for Ric to ring from Victoria?

The intro would have to be something like <span style="font-style: italic">" I'm a mate of the bloke driving the red 34 Buick roadster that your girlfriend gave your name and telephone number to because she thought you would look really good sitting in the passenger seat, but he's married, but I'm not, but I haven't got a red 34 Buick roadster, but I have got a grey 1958 Buick limited convertible, and a blue Buick Wildcat convertible - will I do, can we get together, and yes I am single, and available." </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Question:</span> would a lady who really likes the classic lines of a mid 30's Roadster ( <span style="color: #FF0000">RED</span> ) also go for a late 50's aircraft carrier ( <span style="color: #333333">grey</span> ) ????

So Brian, the juries out and we will just have to see what the experts say ( rooster, Mr earl, thriller etc ).

Just to assist I have included a couple of photos for comparison!!

</div></div>

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...back the train up. When did I ever become an expert at anything aside from running off at the keyboard and spending my wife's money?

Seeing that first photo though, it would be great to see those two Commonwealth Kitty 'Cats side by side...mine a hardtop and Ric's a convertible. The Pacific is probably a bit of a limiting factor there though...speaking of spouting off at the keyboard smirk.gif

Guest imported_MrEarl

all depends on if she is a front seat or back seat type of gal. or hood or trunk. My experience has been that the color of the car didn't matter so much as the color of your money.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian,

Have any Aussie single males you know who drive a red 1934 Buick Roadster send me a PM and I'll pass on the name and number. </div></div>

Does Delys know you still have that number.You Aussies love living on the edge don't you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrEarl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. My experience has been that the color of the car didn't matter so much as the color of your money. </div></div>

Leave it to Mr. Earl to speak with wisdom!