DUI lawnmower arrest.

Barry Wolk

We saw someone like this guy driving down the side of the main road into Traverse City Michigan two years ago, we had to turn around to get the pictures, we could not believe it ... 2 cases of beer, the "good" stuff too ...

here they are:

beermowera.jpg

beermowercopyrightpromocratft2008.jpg

beermower.jpg

may have been the same guy, but I am not aware of any "Oyster Shacks" in that area ...

Right out of Vince Gill’s song <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">One More Last Chance</span></span>:

First she hid my glasses

cause she knows that I cant see

She said you aint goin nowhere boy

til you spend a little time with me

Then the boys called from the honky tonk

Said theres a party goin on down here

Well she mightve took my car keys

But she forgot about my old john deere

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DriveAG2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was amused until Steve let out the blood curtling scream, then all the fun drained out of the situation and I was horrified at the casual use of the TAZER which approaches police brutality. </div></div>

you are kidding ... right?

What should the officer have done, endangered himself by jumping on a moving lawnmower and wrestling him to the ground? Maybe he should have just run him over with his squad car. Maybe he should have just turned his back and let this moron cause an accident with his erratic driving.

How would you have handled this obvious scofflaw?

Guest Dean_H.

I've noticed over the years that cops hammer harmless guys like this. He wasn't endangering anyone on a dirt road in the woods. I suspect if it'd been a tattooed street gang member with a gun under his jacket the officer would have simply drove by. frown.gif

Clearly, the guy did NOT learn from previous run ins with this officer. What if he had fallen off and "mowed" himself or some child? Your child? I think that he got exactly what he deserved. He certainly was NOT going to stop and if it were me, I would have tased him again for the second skirmish.

What if you were at the "Oyster Shack" with your antique car? This idiot wrapped in a moron would maybe want to get closer to your car to see it. He can barely stand on his own 2 feet so he sidles up to your fender with his mower and SSSCCRAPE! How sympathetic are you gonna be, then? You would probably want to give him the TASER big time.

From my perspective, I see it a little different. This is clearly in a rural area. The fact that you don't see any other assisting officers arrive makes it pretty clear that any "backup" is a long way away. Rural officers are usually pretty much on their own in the dangerous first few minutes of a use of force incident.

The officer knows the arrestee by name. He clearly knows the subject's history. The arrestee was given multiple warnings before the taser was deployed. He had the chance to avoid the use of the taser by complying with any of those multiple lawful commands.

The taser causes pain and usually achieves immediate compliance. All other use of force options do more than cause pain, they also injure. I also notice that after the use of the taser, the arrrestee is handcuffed. After he was handcuffed, he was assisted to his feet. He then continues to resist in a manner that makes me suspect that the officer (who has prior knowledge of his past behavior) probably used the level of force that he knew to be appropriate for the individual being arrested.

I have seen a few individuals tased. None of the ones that I have seen tased wanted to continue to fight and risk the pain a second time.

While I might use some slightly different tactics, I don't see anything that I would consider brutal or torture.

I don't enjoy seeing anybody in pain, but when the pain is momentary and it is caused by use of a tool that helps prevent injury to the arrestee as well as the officer, I say it is a good thing.

Agreed. It appears that several of this "person's" arrest videos were taken from police files. In each video he shows distain for laws and law enforcement.

I say he got exactly what he deserves. I'm often the first to cry out about police brutality. I didn't see any in these videos.

Which brings up another issue...

If there are several online of the same arrestee, another possibility is that the whole thing is a fake staged incident. There are folks who videotape fake incidents like these for laughs...

If they staged it to get folks to laugh, IT WORKED because after seeing it, I was telling my wife about it. I told her she HAD to see this and my eyes started tearing up from laughing so hard even before I showed her!

The purpose of this site is not to upset people. It is to talk about antique cars.

I certainly don't want to have a lengthy debate about law enforcement procedure here. With that said...

I am pretty convinced that this incident was not a real incident. I think it was a joke. I have seen several similar funny videos, although none of them involve a taser.

But...

Since the issue has been raised...

All the medical evidence is clear that a Taser is not deadly force. A Taser has never killed anyone. People have died after having been tased, just as people have died after other uses of force. None of those are funny. Usually in custody deaths involve fatal drug overdoses where medical care was delayed for one reason or another... some understandable and some not so understandable.

If you want to watch the video again, you will see that after "Steve" is on his feet after being handcuffed, he is still able to fight sufficiently to cause the officer to end up on the ground along with "Steve".

I think the video is a joke, but if it upsets you, move on. Since I posted my analysis of it, I think that it is appropriate for me to also follow up on some of the response. I don't want anybody to think that a Taser is deadly force. This is a serious issue and I hope that if you feel a Taser can cause a death or an injury, I hope you will research the facts on it.

If anybody wants to seriously discuss this issue, please send me a private message and I will be more than happy to engage in a serious discussion of this issue in that manner.

Hopefully, we can get back to talking about antique cars on the discussion forum.

DriveAG2.....I am sorry that you feel that way simply because if we were all to disown our clubs because of some people's opinions of what is humorous, none of us would be in a club. Please don't condemn the whole club because a few are not sharing your view. Wasn't this country started on "other people's views"? My great, great, great...grandfather (John Morton) whom I was named after and proud of it, signed the Declaration of Independence. He was condemned along with the whole "club" he belonged to. He was the first one to die after the signing. He probably died from the stress of people who did not share his view condemning him and chasing him down and taking all of his worldly goods away. Look where we are now because of that "club" and their opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DriveAG2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I simply thought it was humorous. It's obvious that not everyone shares that point of view. </div></div>

My Point exactly. </div></div>

I thought you were done with us.

Where's the "beat-a-dead-horse" smiley when you need it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am upset that people think that what they did is youthful indiscretions but what others do deserve TASING.

</div></div>

So the drunk guy should be allowed to just drive on, endangering <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span>? crazy.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gif

This is why they invented tasers. I'd want the cop fired if he didn't do it, and you could bet that if he did allow this dolt to escape he would have been.

It's funny when a mouse "gives the finger" to a hawk, that's why it's a famous cartoon. This was funny, too. The cop just did what he's supposed to. The eagle would've as well.

Steve (the drunk on the lawnmower) learned an important lesson courtesy of the officer. Next time an officer gives him a lawful command or get Tazered, he will happily obey the officer. Had the officer not given him jolts from the Tazer gun do you think he would have had any lasting memories from this experience that would make him more compliant to law enforcement in the future?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve (the drunk on the lawnmower) learned an important lesson courtesy of the officer.</div></div>

Call me a cynic but I doubt Steve learned anything. crazy.gif

From Marc Ryan's web site.

"I grew up laughing at the oddities and wonder of Steve. We'd be ready to hit the bars for drinks and he'd yell out, "I'm goin' to jail tonight and I'm takin' yall with me!"

This all started when a buddy of mine from home passed me Steve's Lawn Mower DUI video from '05. That was over 18 million views ago on the interenet. I had to find more and with the help of my buddy in records, WE DID...

Enjoy these latest trips to jail with Steve!

Marc"