End of the Road

jimustanguitar

I have decided to give up on my Reatta. I know, I know.

Blasphemy...

I've done tons of work over the years to keep her tip top mechanically, and it just kept stacking up on me. Ive got a pushrod / lifter noise coming from the engine that I can't find with a stethoscope. I know all of my rotating assemblies are smooth and quiet, there is still a noise that has been getting worse over the last few months. Started out really subtle, and has come to a head the last week or so.

Anyway, I'm movin on. I've owned that car for 7 years, its a touch over 150k now, and it will be sad to see her go, but I've decided to part her out. (I have a buy sell post already started)

All that aside, I wanted to say: I'm a member of well over a dozen different forums for all of my different hobbies and interests. I have never belonged to a forum that is this dedicated and helpful. Out of all of the groups that I follow on and off, there is not a single one anywhere on the internet that has such useful information and such a personal touch. It has been a great journey, and I was honored to be a part of such a great forum. Thanks guys, I'll miss ya.

Guest Dan Cook

Just because you are giving up your Reatta doesn't mean you may not decide to get another one later on and definately not a reason to quit checking on the forum. I don't participate much but I gererally look at the Buick forums.

Dan

Guest re-reatta

You'll be back......We'll be waiting!!!!

I gave up my first Reatta about 4 years ago. Thought everything was OK 'til I saw a red '90 coupe at an estate auction last summer. I'm back......and so too will you be. Take care and best wishes,

Kevin

This was done some years ago by Smitty, or at least he had it done by a shop in Indianapolis, I think. There are some communication problems to overcome. If you do use the V8, you would probably want to find one with multi point fuel injection rather than throttle body. My 87 Allante with the 4.1 has the former and it is much more spirited than the latter. Not sure if Smitty used the Caddy tranny of the Reatta, but he said the drivetrain was a bolt-in. Still like the Grand National conversion better.

Guest Bobby Valines

I have a good idea, just buy another reatta. Maybe a 89 black/red convertible with low mi. Oh that's my daydream. What I want to do after the wheels fall off my reatta. Maybe take the old reatta and put in a big block, 6 speed, rear wheel drive in it. Haven't quite worked out all the details yet.

I was in same boat as you. My Reatta had about 156,000 and the engine failed. Why? I have no idea, but it did. While it was sitting at the shop, a wayward moron put the final nail in my Reatta's coffin. The a-hole ran into my car and drove off! On that note, I decided that after almost 10 years and many dollars, it was time to say goodbye to the favorite car I've ever owned. Enough was enough. The good news, the car is now in the hands of a fellow forum member and I hope he will once again get the car road worthy again. I mirror everything you had to say about this forum. The best one by far to which I belong. Great, great people. Always helpful. The best forum on the internet. I don't visit everyday, like I used to, but I still stop by from time to time. I'm sure you will do the same. Perhaps, someday, we will both have "new" Reatta in our garages. For now, I'm just a visitor, but who knows what the future will bring. In the mean time good luck and don't say goodbye. Just say I will see you later. That's what I've done.